USPS help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 18, 2020
I work for USPS and the Inspector General is NOT for missing packages, especially International Packages. It will get referred to the local Post Office or the International folks for resolution. The Inspector General is for major financial wrongdoings, like stealing money out of the till.

As others have said above, this whole COVID-19 situation has thrown all transportation out of whack. USPS has had to do six shipments by ship to handle parcels to Europe because there are no flights to put anything on. Most countries are not even accepting mail from other places, including the US. Just in case the parcel was damaged in handling, file a missing mail search at the link I'm going to give you, it's the one at the bottom. https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

As for no time stamp on the "in transit" scan, there never is one. I work with this all day every day. Continue working with the folks in Consumer Affairs in Milwaukee. Nothing is the norm right now. Have patience, I know it's hard but due to the sheer amount of parcels in the system right now, things are just bananas.
Tia,
I really appreciate your input and especially about the time stamp. . I talked to someone in the Milwaukee office yesterday and she believes it will be returned to sender. I was trying to be patient and did not call today. It has been in this "return to sender" state since May 8th. Needs to go from Chicago to Chicago! Will keep the forum posted!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I work for USPS and the Inspector General is NOT for missing packages, especially International Packages. It will get referred to the local Post Office or the International folks for resolution. The Inspector General is for major financial wrongdoings, like stealing money out of the till.

As others have said above, this whole COVID-19 situation has thrown all transportation out of whack. USPS has had to do six shipments by ship to handle parcels to Europe because there are no flights to put anything on. Most countries are not even accepting mail from other places, including the US. Just in case the parcel was damaged in handling, file a missing mail search at the link I'm going to give you, it's the one at the bottom. https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

As for no time stamp on the "in transit" scan, there never is one. I work with this all day every day. Continue working with the folks in Consumer Affairs in Milwaukee. Nothing is the norm right now. Have patience, I know it's hard but due to the sheer amount of parcels in the system right now, things are just bananas.
Thank you for posting this excellent information and advice. It's going to take Americans a long time to accept the fact that nothing has, or is, or will be, working properly for months and months. The politicians just keep announcing more and more controls without regard for the economy or the people who are running out of cash. It's difficult to foresee where this will end. The people who make the decisions about what we can and cannot do are still receiving regular paychecks and don't seem to grasp that people can't feed their children.

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
Will keep the forum posted!
Sorry to hear about your tribulations with the package. Have you asked the recipient if they received the package? Can they check status from their end?

Unfortunately you may underestimate the impact of Covid on international shipments. At my work, we ship documents, samples, supplies, and expensive equipment internationally. Our logistics people are going crazy.... a 6" x 4" piece of glass was sent to me from China. It took over 3 weeks instead of the usual 48 hours. There were big delays at China and US Customs.

I did a little online checking, and it seems like Israel Customs was pretty much shut down until a few weeks ago, and flights are still scarce. They are giving priority to supplies required to fight the virus.

There's definitely principle involved, but you might weigh the cost of the item and shipping against the amount of time you're willing to give up to pursue this. I don't mean to say you're wasting your time but it's something to consider.

Please keep up updated!

Reactions: jsn55
May 18, 2020

Is there any significance to the fact that the scan on June 12th was done manually and not on a machine therefore there is no image of the package?

Consumer Affairs has not gotten a response from the International Distribution Center. the International Customer Care has no additional information. I have not heard back from the IRG even though the case was escalated to them on June 8th. I get conflicting info- some say it is going to final destination , others say it is being returned to sender. I filed the missing mail search through your link- no response yet.

I am trying to be patient , polite and persistent but so far no news. I would feel a lot better knowing it still exists.

Thank you!