Using a credit on El Al Airlines from a cancelled flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 9, 2020
I was told in March 2020 by a service rep at El Al that I can cancel my EWR - TLV flight (scheduled for 31 March) due to COVID and receive a credit good for year.
Okay, so now it's time to rebook my flight (my daughter lives in Israel and is expecting her 1st daughter on 01 December).

When I get to the payments page there's no way to utilize the credit.

Some facts:
1. I did not receive an actual acknowledgment from El Al that I was getting credit. It was just someone on the phone.
2. El Al has disconnected phone support for now
3. I've emailed them numerous times on this issue, starting June 30th. I get automated replies from them, nothing more.
4. I've initiated a claim with Amex, but not very hopeful because I initiated the cancellation. Plus Amex is now taking 6-8 weeks to resolve these claims.
5. I was logged on to my frequent flier account when I attempted to rebook. There was no evidence of a credit anywhere on my account, and, as stated, it was not on the payment page when checking out for my new flight
6. My original ticket number was: XXXXXXXX

Edited by moderator to remove ticket number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 9, 2020
Yikes, thanks for the info. I just alerted everyone I know. They are still accepting bookings apparently!
This is kind of criminal if you ask me.

Say hi to Chris for me.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Like a million other consumers, this is an awful situation. But it's not fatal. Your credit will appear at some point ... months and months down the road. I don't think a country is going to see its' own airline go down through no fault of its own. Even if you didn't get written confirmation at the time, when you cancelled the flights you created a credit ... assuming that ElAl functions like all the airlines I know about. A situation like yours is way down on the bottom of the priority list for an airline fighting for its life. The wheels will start to turn, slowly at first, but pretty soon everybody will get attended to. I suggest that you follow ElAl on FlyerTalk to be sure my predictions come true. You want to verify that your credit is good long enough for everything to get straightened out, and to be sure that you don't get lost in the works. As soon as life returns to normal, you'll be able to reach them if they don't reach you first.

Reactions: Bkatlanta
Feb 11, 2018
It remains to be seen if the government is going to take on the debts that ElAl owes for all the canceled air. ElAl has not been following the DOT rules about refunds (like Air Canada).
According to the article in the Jerusalem Post, Israeli law also requires that passengers be reimbursed for cancelled flights.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have those DOT guidelines however as of now, the DOT has no power to force the airlines to refund. Air Canada has openly defied this DOT rule and has said they are not refunding.

ElAl has no money to refund. They have stopped flying and the Israeli government is reported to be infusing them with cash for a sale but makes no mention of how they are going to handle thousands of canceled flight refunds.

Unless the DOT goes after these airlines and fine them or pull slots our “rules”mean nothing.

If the airlines don’t have liquid funds to refund, what can the DOT do?

• Sad
Reactions: Skippy
Jun 7, 2020
It remains to be seen if the government is going to take on the debts that ElAl owes for all the canceled air. ElAl has not been following the DOT rules about refunds (like Air Canada).
I actually did get a refund for my two March-April BOS-TLV r/t tickets for flights El Al cancelled. I’m still not sure if it was from my DOT complaint, my Amex complaint or my request directly to the airline, but I got my Amex credit after 2 1/2 months. El Al did email me, acknowledging the DOT complaint, after the credit already appeared in my Amex account. I was traveling to a family wedding, which was postponed until September. I don’t think it will happen in September either; if it does, we unfortunately won’t be there...
I think the key here is that the passenger cancelled prematurely, hence only getting flight credit. I waited for El Al to cancel (multiple texts and emails, in two languages) to ensure a refund. It took patience but I knew it would happen.

Reactions: Skippy

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I would avoid any airline in the future who just walks away one day, stops answering the phone, doesn't respond. Shows complete disregard for their pax. You have to be truly mismanaged to behave like that and I'd never fly them. It's the same concept as a couple of well-known airlines being in financial trouble for years and years but still operating. I'm not setting foot on an airplane that's been maintained by that kind of management.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I would avoid any airline in the future who just walks away one day, stops answering the phone, doesn't respond. Shows complete disregard for their pax. You have to be truly mismanaged to behave like that and I'd never fly them. It's the same concept as a couple of well-known airlines being in financial trouble for years and years but still operating. I'm not setting foot on an airplane that's been maintained by that kind of management.
The situation with El Al is very complex.

Reactions: Tamcamp

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Reactions: Tamcamp

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
El Al has not stopped flying for good. What we've been reading about is politics between the unions and management. El Al is not dead. By the time we can fly to Israel again (which most people can't at the moment) this will be resolved.
The government is supposedly infusing them with cash, but who knows what that will include. I hope they can straighten this out so all these people with credits can use them.

But this is why the OP can’t book anything.

Jul 9, 2020
I have an update: Amex has just credited my account for the full amount.
One caveat is that they may decide to rebill my account at some point after they get more info from El Al. But that seems unlikely.
Thanks everyone for your help and support.
-Berl

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
One caveat is that they may decide to rebill my account at some point after they get more info from El Al. But that seems unlikely.
-Berl
Three cheers for AmericanExpress.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Y
-Berl
You were given a conditional credit that may not be permanent. ElAl has usually 30 days to respond to the claim. After that Amex looks at the case she decides to make it permanent or not. You will hear from them at that time.

I don’t believe ElAl has anyone in their offices so if they don't respond you will likely win.

Let us know the final outcome. Good luck.

Reactions: Bkatlanta