Unwanted Uber Eats/Starbucks deliveries

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 11, 2020
I'm hoping you all might be able to help me get a hold of Uber support about some concerning orders that have been delivered to my house. More details below - would be really grateful for any thoughts!

In the past ten days, I have twice received Starbucks coffee orders delivered by Uber Eats that I did not order; the orders have been dropped off on my front porch. Both of these orders have been delivered to my home address and include my first name on the label. There is no other identifying information on the orders, such as an order number. I have spoken with friends and family and confirmed that no one ordered these drinks for me. They're also not the type of drinks I would normally get from Starbucks, so it's not like an older order is somehow being repeated (the drinks were similar both times, but with different variations, so it also doesn't look like this is the same order two times).

I have used my Uber Eats account only twice (neither time from Starbucks), and I do not save my address as my "home address" in either my Uber car share or Uber Eats account (though my Uber car share app history would likely show drop-offs/pickups at my home address). I am extremely uncomfortable that someone may be addressing orders to me and sending them to my home address without my consent. While it seems there is a good chance that there is a computer glitch that is somehow mixing up my name and address with someone else's, I would like Uber's assistance in looking into this and tracing the orders, as unwanted deliveries can be a sign of cyberstalking, and I would like to rule this possibility out as soon as possible.

I have been working to get in contact with Uber Eats for several days with no luck. I have tried by phone, e-mail, direct message in the Uber app, and DMs on Twitter. Uber either does not reply or sends generic replies and then stops replying. The phone numbers I have found are disconnected or play recorded messages from Uber saying assistance by phone is unavailable. I have also reached out to Starbucks who verified that there are no orders in my Starbucks account; I have also never used my Starbucks account to order drinks or deliveries and have never saved addresses in it.

There are no suspicious charges in my Uber or Starbucks accounts or on my credit cards; these orders are not being charged to me, and I am not concerned that my accounts are compromised.

If a third drink is delivered, we plan to refuse delivery; this hasn't been possible so far due to contactless delivery and the fact that the drink has been dropped off and the driver has left before I open the door.

Feb 24, 2018
A couple of notes: First, no one needs your "consent" to send an UberEats order to your home. Second, even if this behavior was undertaken with ill intent, this does not fall within the definition of cyberstalking, which is something entirely different to this behavior.

The use of both of those phrases make your complaint read like a vague accusation that UberEats is somehow facilitating illegal behavior. This is problematic for several reasons. You don't have any proof that illegal or suspicious behavior is occurring at all. Even if you did, all UberEats and Starbucks are doing, as far as you can have any idea, is fulfilling orders they receive. But most importantly, a company is not going to respond for very long to correspondence that includes hints at legal accusations with phrases such as "without my consent" and accusations of the crime of cyberstalking, and asks for information about their company's role in the behavior.

I must disagree with my colleague weihlac that contacting UberEats will be useful to you here, although I usually advise it. UberEats is not going to provide you information about another customer's orders, nor certainly "look into" what you have implied you believe may be a crime.

If you believe this is being undertaken nefariously, you should contact law enforcement. From your description, it seems more likely that a casual acquaintance or coworker saw you drinking a Starbucks beverage at some point in the past and did their best to recreate the order as a sign of kindness during this difficult time. I recently did the same, sending an anonymous DukinDonuts order. I hope DunkinDonuts corporate hasn't been asked to look into the order!

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Well, there would be two options: 1) The store where the OP goes, or 2) The store that is closest to the OP's house. Not every place has dozens of SBs all over, especially if you live in a town rather than New York City.

May 30, 2019
This reminds me of a recent story here and similar others. Yikes! My suggestion would be to keep your communication with these delivery services simple, e.g. state, "Please block my address so ensure my safety. Thank you."

Aug 29, 2018
I would also check your credit cards for any unauthorized charges for these deliveries.

I've seen credit card fraud on my account with Grubhub -- the food delivery services are a good way for a criminal to determine if the card is still active.

And always keep an eye on your accounts for unexplained transactions. Too many credit ard numbers in the US get compromised by poor security at businesses.

Reactions: mmb and Skippy
Feb 24, 2018
I would also check your credit cards for any unauthorized charges for these deliveries.

I've seen credit card fraud on my account with Grubhub -- the food delivery services are a good way for a criminal to determine if the card is still active.

And always keep an eye on your accounts for unexplained transactions. Too many credit ard numbers in the US get compromised by poor security at businesses.
OP has already described checking his credit card and relevant accounts for unauthorized charges.

It is very hard to imagine either UberEats or Starbucks treating "unauthorized" deliveries as anything other than a kind gesture and dismissing OP's correspondence out of hand, as indeed it appears they have done; the flip side to this is that if they do read anything more sinister into it, they will not be sharing that information for fear of being implicated.

Reactions: mmb
Oct 10, 2015
Call them immediately and say you did not order the food and ask their advice what to do with it. But refrigerate it as needed or otherwise take care of it because you may end up wanting to consume it.

A bit fiendish but a bit factual. A little later, do this: send (preferably snail mail but email will do.)

Dear Sirs:

Thank you for the hot coffee and doughnuts (substitute description of the actual items) delivered to my doorstep at 10:15 AM today July 14, 2020.

I did not order this food. You may want to contact your delivery service to find out how the food was sent to me.

Please be advised that unordered merchandise not of significant value may be considered as a gift. Therefore you are not entitled to charge me for the items. I will be checking all of my accounts and disputing any charges I consider unauthorized.

Sincerely,
(your name)

If the store wants the items back (they probably don't want them back) tell them that they will have to provide the transportation.

Reactions: ngc31961
Feb 11, 2018
Might not be such a good idea these days to send stuff anonymously, particularly food. If you want to gift someone with food, a "heads up" note ("I appreciate....and "you'll be receiving...") would be appropriate and alleviate any confusion or suspicion.
A couple of notes: First, no one needs your "consent" to send an UberEats order to your home. Second, even if this behavior was undertaken with ill intent, this does not fall within the definition of cyberstalking, which is something entirely different to this behavior.

The use of both of those phrases make your complaint read like a vague accusation that UberEats is somehow facilitating illegal behavior. This is problematic for several reasons. You don't have any proof that illegal or suspicious behavior is occurring at all. Even if you did, all UberEats and Starbucks are doing, as far as you can have any idea, is fulfilling orders they receive. But most importantly, a company is not going to respond for very long to correspondence that includes hints at legal accusations with phrases such as "without my consent" and accusations of the crime of cyberstalking, and asks for information about their company's role in the behavior.

I must disagree with my colleague weihlac that contacting UberEats will be useful to you here, although I usually advise it. UberEats is not going to provide you information about another customer's orders, nor certainly "look into" what you have implied you believe may be a crime.

If you believe this is being undertaken nefariously, you should contact law enforcement. From your description, it seems more likely that a casual acquaintance or coworker saw you drinking a Starbucks beverage at some point in the past and did their best to recreate the order as a sign of kindness during this difficult time. I recently did the same, sending an anonymous DukinDonuts order. I hope DunkinDonuts corporate hasn't been asked to look into the order!
Migh

Feb 24, 2018
Might not be such a good idea these days to send stuff anonymously, particularly food. If you want to gift someone with food, a "heads up" note ("I appreciate....and "you'll be receiving...") would be appropriate and alleviate any confusion or suspicion.
Certainly a valid thought, but I have never been met with anything but gratefulness and appreciation.

Sep 26, 2017
Certainly a valid thought, but I have never been met with anything but gratefulness and appreciation.
Agreed, but right now I wouldn't be consuming anything some random stranger left with me. If I know the person or it's being handled by people or companies I trust, that's a different story.

Heck, I've been doing Starbucks about twice a week lately and usually from one particular location I deal with regularly. But a random stranger delivering something? Not a chance. Call me paranoid, but no thanks.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Agreed, but right now I wouldn't be consuming anything some random stranger left with me. If I know the person or it's being handled by people or companies I trust, that's a different story.

Heck, I've been doing Starbucks about twice a week lately and usually from one particular location I deal with regularly. But a random stranger delivering something? Not a chance. Call me paranoid, but no thanks.
Not paranoid, just realistic. Just because it is from "Uber Eats" and comes in a "Starbucks" cup would not reassure me at all. Straight to the garbage, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
You said the deliveries have your first name only. If your first name is common (Mike, Sue) then it may be an erroneous address on the "other" person's account info. In other words, you're Mike L. at 1234 Main St. and the person who ordered is Mike S. at 1324 Main Street but his record shows 1234 by mistake.

I don't see anything sinister but it's good you confirmed your account and card activity. How about posting a sign on your front door: "ATTN: Uber Eats- I did not order anything and this is the wrong delivery address. Any order left here will be discarded." (Of course take the sign down if you really do order something!)

Sep 4, 2019
Did a former significant other ever order food to your house from their account?

My cousin recently tried to order dinner and the food was sent to his ex-girlfriends house because he never updated the delivery info in his Uber Eats account. I can see him being dumb enough to do this more than once, too.