United schedule change refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 15, 2020
Booked a roundtrip departing ORD to SAV over April 9-12 for $700. About 3 weeks ago, I got an email from United saying there was a "schedule change" for my reservation. Basically they cancelled my flights and automatically rebooked me on a new one departing 4 hours earlier. Three days before my scheduled departure I spoke the a customer service supervisor and was told I wasn't able to get a refund since the schedule change was under a 25 hour difference. I ended up waiting until 24 hours before my new departure time to cancel the flight. Now I have an flight voucher.

Do I have any grounds to obtain a refund? Seems ridiculous that they can cancel the original flight and put me on a different one without my consent and not consider it a "cancellation."

Apr 15, 2020
That isn’t a major flight change. If the airline didn’t cancel your flight, you aren’t due a refund according to DOT rules.
Where can customers find information about flight changes? I always assumed a schedule change greater than 2 hours resulted in a refund if the new time did not work for you. It seems there are no hard rules on how a "major change" is defined.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Where can customers find information about flight changes? I always assumed a schedule change greater than 2 hours resulted in a refund if the new time did not work for you. It seems there are no hard rules on how a "major change" is defined.oo
I thought so too ... but I've seen several references to "25 hours" in the past few days. Access your airline's website and track down their exact wording. Take your time, click on all their "notices" and you should come up with the answer. How long that answer is good for is anyone's guess.

Reactions: BittyBoo