United refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 27, 2020
I have (or had) a trip in May booked on United and was waiting to see what would happen. Today I noticed I had a schedule change that was impossible. I was now scheduled to arrive in one city an hour later than the connecting flight was scheduled to leave:rolleyes:. I called United and prepared for a long wait as well as an argument but I got neither. I had zero wait time and once she looked at the connection, she actually laughed. She said "I will put in a request for a full refund which might take eight weeks." So, there might be some hope out there for those of you wanting a refund. Keep checking the flight times and see what United does. By the way, I got no notice of the flight change; I only found it by logging into my account and checking.

Aug 19, 2019
The DOT published a "reminder" that refunds have always been, and continue to be due for canceled flights (and schedule changes) for any flights within, from, to, or through the USA, and thankfully that seems to have corrected the bad behavior that was going on.

I'm very disappointed that major airlines like United and Southwest attempted to pull that scam in the first place and try to not refund if they rescheduled you a day before or after, or if they canceled the flight because of a shutdown, and will definitely keep who did what in mind when I do start booking family travel again. It is a good lesson that just because a company tries to put a term in a contract or a "policy" in place doesn't necessarily mean that it's binding if it's not a reasonable, fair, or lawful term.

Mar 27, 2020
What I find most interesting is that this was booked on one ticket with just one confirmation number. You would think the United system itself would have been smart enough to know that this was impossible (unless I can learn to bend the space time continuum).

Apr 1, 2018
I had an award flight booked for May from SFO to FRA and onto BCN. United cancelled all flights from SFO to Europe and they rescheduled me, adding a stop in IAD, but they eliminated the flight from FRA to BCN. They sent me an email to notify me.

So I called United, and like Clara, there was no wait time (they are working from home) and it turns out that Lufthansa cancelled all flights from FRA to BCN except for 1 daily (they usually have 5-8 flights a day to BCN, depending upon season) and after considerable effort, the helpful person was able to get a seat on that lone flight. And as a bonus for the inconvenience and extended trip duration, I was moved from Business to First on the SFO to IAD leg of the journey. I didn't ask for this upgrade.

All to say that I was really impressed with United customer service. I wish I could say the same for Iberia. I'll have to wait and see if these jets actually get off the ground, but so far, I'm very happy with United.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you BOTH for inserting some sanity into today's upside-down travel world. People need to stop feeling that an airline is trying to cheat them, they need to take a deep breath and acknowledge the situation we're all in. It often takes a great deal of effort to unsnarl a cancelled trip ... and patience too. But sometimes it's a piece of cake. I'm very happy to hear these positives about United, the airline that seemingly everyone hates. I have a soft spot for United, as Continental was "my" airline and there are still scads of CO crew flying ... I can usually pick them out quickly.