United Flight Cancellation Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
My mistake.. it was 18 MARZCH not April when United cancelled and re-booked us.
In response to complaints and DOT action, United has changed its policies that were in effect in March and they are now giving refunds to all cancellations initiated by the airline. This is why you got a refund. They are going back to all of the issued credits and processing them as refunds.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
We just cancelled a United flight to Missoula, MT which we planned for July of this year. We immediately received an electronic travel certificate for the full amount we paid, good for 24 months from date of issue (today). So, while a refund would be better, we understand the predicament the airlines face with Covid-19. They did not cancel our flight, we did--so I think that they are being reasonable by waiving the change/cancellations fees. We will fly again, just not for awhile.
I have had the same experience with UA. I canceled an April trip and a June trip and received travel certificates good for 24 months, with travel booked out to 35 months. I initiated the cancelations and did not expect a refund. If I can't use these certificates in 24 months, we will be in a much bigger mess than we are already.

Reactions: jsn55 and FrankL183
Sep 27, 2018
I agree, it would be nice if the airlines would extend the use-by date. Extending it to a year from the date of travel would be more enticing than a year from purchase date. I doubt that everyone will be using their credit in the future regardless of the expiration date. Everyone's financial situation has changed (well, except for Jeff Bezos!) and many people will not have the luxury of taking that trip they had initially planned.
I agree that extending the "use by" date would be a way to entice people to accept vouchers. I know Delta already extended some companion tix so they don't need to be used this calendar year. However, I believe these vouchers still show up as a debit on the airline's balance sheet, so this will impact their ability to sell stock or borrow money.

Aug 6, 2018
It depends on your definition of "disappeared". If there were NO new cases reported in the US, I would wait at least 2 weeks. However, there will be new cases reported for many months or even years, and one will need to decide what level of new cases in the US means it is safe to fly. I think it is still too early to put a number or time on this return to flying question. A vaccine will be a game-changer but that is not going to be available soon.

I do not expect to fly anywhere for the next 6 months, will reevaluate monthly.
I just booked a flight on 5 July return on & July EYW to FLL, I do not drive and I have medical apointments I must keep. I have no qualms about flying but will use safer practices as much as possible. When I booked (United) the COVID-19 alert on the booking page is

Tickets: For tickets issued March 3 through April 30, 2020, customers will be permitted to change free of charge to a flight of equal or lesser value for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change for free but no residual value will be given. If the customer decides to cancel their flight, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date.

Cancellations: If the customer decides to cancel the flight they booked between March 3 and April 30, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date

Fare Validity: This applies to all tickets, all fare types, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016.

Minimum Stay: No minimum stay.

Blackout Dates: No blackout dates.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
We just cancelled a United flight to Missoula, MT which we planned for July of this year. We immediately received an electronic travel certificate for the full amount we paid, good for 24 months from date of issue (today). So, while a refund would be better, we understand the predicament the airlines face with Covid-19. They did not cancel our flight, we did--so I think that they are being reasonable by waiving the change/cancellations fees. We will fly again, just not for awhile.
So refreshing to hear a reasonable expectation! Thanks for sharing.

• Wow
Reactions: jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have had the same experience with UA. I canceled an April trip and a June trip and received travel certificates good for 24 months, with travel booked out to 35 months. I initiated the cancelations and did not expect a refund. If I can't use these certificates in 24 months, we will be in a much bigger mess than we are already.
If you canceled your ticket, no refund, only a travel certificate. And yes, United is allowing them to be used up to 24 months.

Reactions: BostonJohn

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
So refreshing to hear a reasonable expectation! Thanks for sharing.
I agree. I am having trouble understanding what the fuss is about vouchers toward a future flight. While there may be instances of pax not being to travel anywhere for years, surely those are a small percentage. The rest of us should be happy with our vouchers ... it seems like a good solution for a trip that you don't want to, or cannot take. Or am I missing something?

Reactions: BostonJohn
Apr 8, 2020
Ref. : Ticke Number xxxxxxx Faezeh

I purchased run trip ticket with Turkish Airline from IDA to IKA on Feb 4th, 2020 and flight date Feb 10th, 2020 and return March 10th but due to COVID-19 my flight was canceled by Airline and they issue one ticket for April 1st,2020 for me and that one was canceled due to CoronaViruse Turkish Airline canceled all of their flights out of Iran Then I had to purchase a ticket from Qatar Airline one way for $1505.00, Now I am requesting reimburse me for this ticket for Qatar Airline.
If you have any questions in this regard please contact me via via email XXXXXXXX] or call me at XXXXXXX. Thank you for consideration and your time'
Best Regards,

Assadi Moghadam

Edited by moderator to remove ticket number and email and phone number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you mean IAD-Dulles?

When an airline cancels a flight, they owe you a refund. They aren’t responsible for new tickets on another airline. Did you receive a refund for the canceled flight?