United cancelled our flight.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 6, 2020
Hi,
My husband and I have round trip tickets to travel to Merida, Mexico for June 20, 2020 - July 4th, 2020. My Dr. wrote a letter stating he doesn't want me to travel due to my medical conditions that would put me in a very high risk situation it I were to travel by plane. He stated no airplanes for at least one year, but probably two years. We also purchased insurance for this flight. Currently, the flight to Merida is cancelled as of today. We would like a full refund. Can you please help us?

May 30, 2019
This applies only if you booked directly with UA:
UA also has an online form (https://www.united.com/en/us/refunds), however I would start by calling.
*** Be prepared to wait on hold for an hour or so.
*** Insist on receiving a refund because the flight was cancelled. Do not accept a voucher.
*** Remember the 3 P's: Patience, Politeness, Persistence.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I would start by calling them, expect a long wait time but don't give up. State that the flight was cancelled by United and, per the DOT rule, a refund is due to you. They may try to talk you into accepting a travel voucher for a future ticket but you do not have to accept it. Request they send you an email confirming the refund request. Get the agent's name and jot down the day and time you called.

Your other option is to fill out a refund request via their website:

Reactions: jsn55