Uber Account Disabled (In Error?)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 25, 2019
Good evening, and thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I recently found my that my uber account was disabled when trying to take a ride for work. Upon trying to reactivate my account, I have been told multiple times that my account has violated uber's terms of service, and no one is able to tell me what terms I have allegedly violated. I went from a pretty good (4.6/7) uber rating to being disabled, and having no reason to believe I did anything in violation of their terms, which I have now read several times. The scary thing is when you read online about actions that get people banned -- I have done none of those, no alcohol, etc.

I even requested my privacy records from uber, and am told I have to apply through the right channels, but the 'right' channels don't exist if your account is disabled. So, I am facing an unending line of essentially standard support responses with no opportunity to clarify or remedy the issue.

I did recently switch from an android phone to an iphone, and I read online that some people have had their accounts disabled because they had multiple devices or the switch led uber to think they had multiple or fraudulent devices.

In another support ticket, uber acknowledged that it appeared my account had been compromised, and allowed me to reset my password. In thinking this was the end of the ordeal, I tried to log in again, only to find the account still disabled. Upon querying support, I again was faced with the standard terms violation response.

I am a disabled veteran and rely heavily on uber to get around, and also for food delivery. I've racked my brain on anything that could possibly have gone wrong--I always tip well and am respectful with the drivers, and I'm very concerned that my account was compromised or that my professional reputation could be in question here.

Honestly, I'd like my account reinstated, to know why it was disabled, and at least to have to opportunity to remedy the issue (as well as my now inaccessable data that uber has on me).

May 1, 2018
my professional reputation could be in question here.
I'm not really sure what you mean by this. How would anyone ever be able to question your professional reputation as a result of this? How would anyone know that your account was suspended?

In any case, you should definitely write to the executive team as indicated by Neil. In your correspondence, you should be careful to politely phrase your request as wanting an exception to their policy, as opposed to an accusation that they've done something wrong which has put your reputation in question. Companies are not required to take you back as a customer and don't owe you an explanation of what happened.

Mar 29, 2016
In the meantime see if Lyft operates in your area. For restaurant food there's Doordash and Grubhub. For groceries there's Shipt and Instacart.

Reactions: Benjaminokenwa
Jul 25, 2019
Thanks, all. I will go ahead and write to the executives. DanD -- I mean, when you read online about people not having uber, it seems like the reasons are either egregious or some admin mistake.

Reactions: Benjaminokenwa
Jul 25, 2019
Hello, all; to clarify, I had a typo. 4.6/5 not 7. Sorry, I saw someone had previously replied to the 4.6/7 rating. Unlike eBay, I think most people who have ever used uber do not have a 5/5; and who knows why someone might rate you a 4.

Jul 25, 2019
Well, it's been nearly a year, but happy to close this out. Ended up being a mistake, my 4.97 uber rating (I had it wrong) is back, and I can use the service again. I had been in some small towns and had multiple rides with the same drivers, and that had raised a question of driver-rider collaboration, but when you get in the support cycle it's near impossible to ever get a reason. Upon further investigation, all good to go.