TURNKEY PROPERTY RENTAL

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 27, 2020
It is most likely that the owners have the money and aren’t refunding anything. Same thing with VRBO and Airbnb.

Turnkey is located in Texas. You might want to file a complaint with the Attorney General in Texas. Not sure they can do anything but it’s worth a try.

I hope that folks will see the drawbacks of using these type of sites. These are among the complaints we are seeing the most of at this time.

Not so much with hotels. Think about that next time you decide to travel.
We found out ( 600+) members fighting for refund, that Turnkey is keeping our money...The owners do not have it...There were owners who reached out to our group and had wished they could give the money back to us but they were not given to them by Turnkey...and yes, thank you for the advise, we started a class action with atty general in Texas.

Reactions: jsn55
May 27, 2020
But if the reservation was cancelled by Turnkey, and not the OP, I think that Turnkey should refund SOMETHING. Maybe they would agree to a 50% refund? If they cancelled it, they are not providing a service and, IMO, don't have the right to keep all the money. And it's wrong to assume that the OP will be able to travel next year (or even wants to). It's not the OP's fault if they don't have the funds. I know it's not Turnkey's either, which is why maybe a 50% refund would be agreeable.

I would be curious to see the contract. I get that it's non-refundable, but does that include if the HOST cancels? If the OP cancelled, completely different story. But I would hope that the OP didn't sign a contract that makes the $ non-refundable if the host cancels.
yes..I read the contract several times...everything in their contract is all for their benefit/ favor...nothing indicated if host cancels....however, there is a part there that landlord must be compliant with gov't laws, ordinances etc...and this is what i quoted ...stay at home orders on the vacation property etc...

May 27, 2020
Thank you all for your responses...I will keep you updated... I am fighting for my dispute 3rd attempt now with my credit card ...extracting some key points from the contract, stay at home orders and fair credit billing act of undelivered services and unaccepted goods/services.. I will keep you updated...Whatever the outcome, its worth sharing as others may learn from the experience...Stay safe healthy and strong everyone...God bless us all!

Sep 9, 2018
The fact is Turnkey is keeping our money.Our group found out that owners have NOT received the reservations payments we paid.Owners were also willing to return the money but they "DON'T " have the money its with Turnkey. Another thing is, its pure luck if we are able to find out who the vacation property owner is ...some were able to do thorough research their property owners are and include that in their dispute that the property owner is agreeable for a refund..otherwise, you are stuck with Turnkey's non refundable..Yes Turnkey has also some partnership with airbnb.
Are you saying that the property owner never received any money for your reservation? And that Turnkey has all your money??

Oh my.... that's ridiculous!! So, Turnkey cancelled the reservation, kept ALL the money, and both the OP and the property owner got nothing.

Please follow Neil's advice and file a complaint with the AG. I'm not sure why folks are suggesting that you're out of luck and that there's nothing you can do.

This forum is to support the OP!! And Turnkey cancelling the reservation AND keeping all the money is flat out wrong!

Keep fighting and PLEASE keep us posted. We're here to help!

Reactions: Rachel1005

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The fact is Turnkey is keeping our money.Our group found out that owners have NOT received the reservations payments we paid.Owners were also willing to return the money but they "DON'T " have the money its with Turnkey. Another thing is, its pure luck if we are able to find out who the vacation property owner is ...some were able to do thorough research their property owners are and include that in their dispute that the property owner is agreeable for a refund..otherwise, you are stuck with Turnkey's non refundable..Yes Turnkey has also some partnership with airbnb.
If your money was never turned over to the owner, the AG is your best bet. I would also tell Turnkey that you are filing a complaint with the State Attorney General - it might prompt a refund.

Did you file your cc dispute as “services not received”?

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Okay, that changes things, in my opinion. It wasn’t clear from your post that the owners have not been paid. That is a very important fact that was left out from the beginning! So, yes, turnkey should not be able to hold the money....either it goes to the owner or it goes to the renter but not held by the intermediary. Government involvement is your best bet. Try the credit card company again but they may cease communication with you over this issue.

May 27, 2020
Okay, that changes things, in my opinion. It wasn’t clear from your post that the owners have not been paid. That is a very important fact that was left out from the beginning! So, yes, turnkey should not be able to hold the money....either it goes to the owner or it goes to the renter but not held by the intermediary. Government involvement is your best bet. Try the credit card company again but they may cease communication with you over this issue.
Hi Thanks for your reply and concern..I did not left out that information/fact at all. I kept repeating that over and over on the thread you must have missed reading it...Anyhow, I am doing or rather say "we" 600+ people fighting for the refund... govt agencies, media etc..Thanks and God bless!~

May 27, 2020
If your money was never turned over to the owner, the AG is your best bet. I would also tell Turnkey that you are filing a complaint with the State Attorney General - it might prompt a refund.

Did you file your cc dispute as “services not received”?
yes Sir- undelivered and unaccepted service

May 27, 2020
Are you saying that the property owner never received any money for your reservation? And that Turnkey has all your money??

Oh my.... that's ridiculous!! So, Turnkey cancelled the reservation, kept ALL the money, and both the OP and the property owner got nothing.

Please follow Neil's advice and file a complaint with the AG. I'm not sure why folks are suggesting that you're out of luck and that there's nothing you can do.

This forum is to support the OP!! And Turnkey cancelling the reservation AND keeping all the money is flat out wrong!

Keep fighting and PLEASE keep us posted. We're here to help!
I will definitely be back here to update...whatever happens as to give added information for people who go through the same challenges

• Love
Reactions: jsn55 and Pixie Pie

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hi Thanks for your reply and concern..I did not left out that information/fact at all. I kept repeating that over and over on the thread you must have missed reading it...Anyhow, I am doing or rather say "we" 600+ people fighting for the refund... govt agencies, media etc..Thanks and God bless!~
Please advise the others you are aware of that are facing the same issue to write to the AG as well. If you inundate them with complaints, they may move quicker.

Reactions: Pixie Pie
May 27, 2020
Please advise the others you are aware of that are facing the same issue to write to the AG as well. If you inundate them with complaints, they may move quicker.
Yes Sir...I believe I mentioned it somewhere-I had been dealing, typing, commenting on this issue for a month now with emails, posts etc..The group filed a class action against Turnkey with AG in Texas...Again, I appreciate your time...Will definitely keep you posted...I have learned this advocacy through 2 members posted your Mr. Christopher Elliot's advocacy and I am also encouraging everyone to join the forums and look into this website as it has very noble cause of caring for people in such challenging situations/ circumstance

Reactions: Pixie Pie

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Apparently, I wasn't the only one who missed it:

"Are you saying that the property owner never received any money for your reservation? And that Turnkey has all your money??" - Pixie Pie

Nowhere in your comments have you stated the owners did not receive their payment until comment #17. I only bring this up because you may think you are communicating that fact clearly to your credit card company in your disputes but maybe they are not reading it as such either? We want to help you achieve your goal but the little details are what can make the difference in success. So, re-approach the credit card company, maybe using different language to achieve the same intention and, definitely file a complaint with the AG.

Reactions: Neil Maley

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
so true...credit card need to investigate and speak up for their client..This is what I was pointing out to them...CC merely accepted what Turnkey responded to the disputed amount ..
This is why I'm always preaching against filing CC disputes unless a) you can't get it settled with the merchant ... after TRYING, and b) you absolutely know that you are right. When frivolous CC disputes are filed, the CC issuer puts as much energy into it as a valid CC dispute. That's the theory anyway, I'm convinced that some CC issuers just glance over the problem and declare on the side of the merchant. But that's for another day.

Pretty soon CC issuers will be overwhelmed, forced to hire extra staff, and someone will finally look at the big picture. And stop accepting disputes from anyone. I think the "top" cards will always back up their cardholders, but the rest may not be able to compete with the added expense of disputes.

May 27, 2020
Apparently, I wasn't the only one who missed it:

"Are you saying that the property owner never received any money for your reservation? And that Turnkey has all your money??" - Pixie Pie

Nowhere in your comments have you stated the owners did not receive their payment until comment #17. I only bring this up because you may think you are communicating that fact clearly to your credit card company in your disputes but maybe they are not reading it as such either? We want to help you achieve your goal but the little details are what can make the difference in success. So, re-approach the credit card company, maybe using different language to achieve the same intention and, definitely file a complaint with the AG.
I figured out what happened...I filed in details of my case with Turnkey at Christopher Elliot's form in his website...then I filed another one with FTC...by the time I got to this forum I am already exhausted to repeat myself all over again in details and I felt like there's no pressure or obligation to be in details on my case as this is just a discussion forum and this will just be a relax and release moment with me...and to just go with the flow of discussions as they come up...I am here to find some solace and not to argue...I have been dealing with these ( I just realized) 2 months now....this is just one of my many concerns...again thank you for your help/concern.God bless.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
We actually want to help you find resolution. That is why we are here so our questions and comments are geared toward that. We are eager to teach people to advocate for themselves ;) But, if you want to vent then, by all means, feel free to do so!

Reactions: jsn55
Jun 1, 2020
I was to stay at a TurnKey property in Seattle, WA, from March 19 -23, 2020, in anticipation for my son's wedding. Due to Covid19, the wedding was cancelled and I did not fly out to Seattle. While TurnKey "cancelled" my reservation, they are requiring me to use the property by April 2021. My son will not be rescheduling his wedding as he has since been laid off from his job. I wrote to American Express to take off the charges from TurnKey, but American Express replied back to me that they are upholding TurnKey's cancellation policies, and will not take off the charges. Is there anything else I can do?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I was to stay at a TurnKey property in Seattle, WA, from March 19 -23, 2020, in anticipation for my son's wedding. Due to Covid19, the wedding was cancelled and I did not fly out to Seattle. While TurnKey "cancelled" my reservation, they are requiring me to use the property by April 2021. My son will not be rescheduling his wedding as he has since been laid off from his job. I wrote to American Express to take off the charges from TurnKey, but American Express replied back to me that they are upholding TurnKey's cancellation policies, and will not take off the charges. Is there anything else I can do?
Please read #7 - while it addresses VRBO, the same goes for any of these rental companies that have no Corona Virus waivers.

Reactions: Patina