Trouble Contacting AirBnB regarding Covid-19 reimbursement

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I totally understand and agree with you however - as Dwayne said in post 13, they are going by the terms of the contract and you can only appeal for a good will credit or ask for a future credit for a stay. There really isn't anything else we can do here. They are located in San Francisco so you could also try filing a complaint withe Attorney General in California, but without any type of rules through the government regulating this - there really isn't much you can do except never use the again.

Reactions: PABarb

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Did you ask the host for a credit for future use? When I read the link @Dwayne Coward posted about extenuating circumstances, it does not say that you will receive refund but that you may receive a refund or credit. That is not a guarantee in my opinion regardless if you cancelled a day later.

Reactions: jsn55
May 5, 2020
Did you ask the host for a credit for future use? When I read the link @Dwayne Coward posted about extenuating circumstances, it does not say that you will receive refund but that you may receive a refund or credit. That is not a guarantee in my opinion regardless if you cancelled a day later.
I asked the hosts for credits. It was two properties that covered my stay. The first just said she could not afford to give me any more than a penny-which she did. The gesture was actually insulting. The second host insulted me further saying that I "must be a Trump supporter". I don't think that has anything to do with a refund but must be the worst thing a European can think to call an American. I found it infuriating and extremely unprofessional from someone who is supposed to be a "Superhost". Airbnb's BOT messages kept telling me to work it out with the hosts. Obviously they are not reasonable people.

May 5, 2020
I totally understand and agree with you however - as Dwayne said in post 13, they are going by the terms of the contract and you can only appeal for a good will credit or ask for a future credit for a stay. There really isn't anything else we can do here. They are located in San Francisco so you could also try filing a complaint withe Attorney General in California, but without any type of rules through the government regulating this - there really isn't much you can do except never use the again.
Yes, I have filed with the Attorney General who is pursuing this. One thought I did have is if anyone has had experience with consideration for travel companions. My daughters were living in Spain. They were advised to leave Spain immediately. I had them as registered guests on my reservation. Does it matter that they were told to leave Spain? No one at Airbnb has even offered me to produce documents about travel restrictions, etc. I am in the US and was traveling to Europe to meet my daughters. My host is saying travel restrictions for US citizens weren't impacted at the time, as our government said American citizens could come and go from the country, just not internationals guests. Does Spain's status impact my case since my guests were living there? Or do the policies just apply to me because the reservation was in my name?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I think you have exhausted all avenues. If the owners are unwilling to refund you, you have no other recourse. The terms are clearly stated despite your opinion otherwise. Your communication with the owners has turned ugly (you are offended, the owners are throwing out insults) and airbnb has washed their hands of it. I suggest cutting your losses and moving on. Airbnb and VRBO will have to fight the fallout of this pandemic for years to come. As many say on this site, they are glorified classified ads that work when all is well but are horrible when it doesn't. Airbnb has no leverage over the owners (nor would they be inclined to strong arm them) and the owners are clearly not going to budge on a refund.

May 12, 2020
I asked the hosts for credits. It was two properties that covered my stay. The first just said she could not afford to give me any more than a penny-which she did. The gesture was actually insulting. The second host insulted me further saying that I "must be a Trump supporter". I don't think that has anything to do with a refund but must be the worst thing a European can think to call an American. I found it infuriating and extremely unprofessional from someone who is supposed to be a "Superhost". Airbnb's BOT messages kept telling me to work it out with the hosts. Obviously they are not reasonable people.
It's just shady business all around. I had worked out an agreement(so I thought) on a refund with my host and he effectively "ghosted" me afterwards, messaged him several times no response. I understand its hard on everybody but at least say "hey, I can't do that but would you accept this?" It's not just my money, I split it with two of my friends, so they are out of pocket too. To top it off he has since taken down his listings!

Reactions: PABarb

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
And this shows the drawback of using these booking sites instead of regular hotels. This pandemic has shown where there are shortfalls when using these websites. There are no regulations booking these accommodations so you are at the mercy of the owners.

Reactions: Skippy
Jun 24, 2019
And this shows the drawback of using these booking sites instead of regular hotels. This pandemic has shown where there are shortfalls when using these websites. There are no regulations booking these accommodations so you are at the mercy of the owners.
I think it shows that taking the lowest price, which is marked "non-refundable," means what it says.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The Vacation Rental concept is a very good one, but it runs on trust and responsibility. Hosts have no incentive to do anything at all for you ... but keep your money. I'm sorry this is happening, but you are one of thousands.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Feb 3, 2020
Well I have to add my two cents for what it is worth! Our son owns a condo in St. Thomas US Virgin Islands. His place was booked solid for February, March and April. He had people cancelling less than 30 days prior to arrival. He decided that the renters should get their money back. His belief is that the people he returned their monies will rent from him in the future and will tell their friends. So I felt it important that there are many owners out there that did the right thing but all we ever hear about are the bad ones.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Well I have to add my two cents for what it is worth! Our son owns a condo in St. Thomas US Virgin Islands. His place was booked solid for February, March and April. He had people cancelling less than 30 days prior to arrival. He decided that the renters should get their money back. His belief is that the people he returned their monies will rent from him in the future and will tell their friends. So I felt it important that there are many owners out there that did the right thing but all we ever hear about are the bad ones.
You should be enormously proud of raising a son like yours. I have always believed in good karma and have been proven right a thousand times. This is a wonderful story and I hope his lucky travellers will write reviews ... that might be another criteria to pick the good guys ... we'd all book nothing but Vacation Rentals. And thank you for reminding us that "everyone" is not a self-absorbed jerk.