Trip Cancelation Coverage denial by Aon Affinity Travel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 25, 2020
I purchased travel insurance through Universal Air Travel Plan which includes coverage for up to $5,000 in annual claims for trip cancellation and interruption including benefit provisions for trip cancellation refunds due to quarantine (section j) and/or if the travel supplier cancels your trip, (section m). The policy is through Aon Affinity Travel and underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company.

My trip the Ride the Rockies event scheduled for June 12-18, was canceled due to a quarantine and stay-at-home order put in place by the Governors of Washington and Colorado. The stay-at-home order only provided exception for travel for medical treatment or food, quarantining residents of the State of Washington for all other purposes. Based on a review by the Washington State Insurance Commission and review of the policy and policy definitions, the stay-at-home order for the purposes of coverage constitutes a quarantine.

Further due to COVID-19, the hotels in Colorado and event host cities including Durango, Cortez and Ouray have rendered the hotels uninhabitable, forcing the event promoters, agencies and suppliers to cancel the event. Even though the insurance policy does not include a written definition of Quarantine and travel providers they have denied my claim.

Note: Edited by a moderator to delete attachment containing personal identifying information

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Who canceled the trip, the travel supplier? If they canceled you should be due a refund from the travel supplier

Quarantine benefits are if you were quarantined at home- a stay at home order is not considered a quarantine. If you had developed Covid and were quarantined to your home- that is covered as that is a quarantine ordered by your doctor.

Unless you bought a Cancel for Any Reason insurance policy, a pandemic is not covered unless you actually come down with the disease.

Reactions: Skippy
May 25, 2020
The annual Ride The Rockies is a fundraiser for the Denver Post Foundation ( a non-profit). They and their hotel venue and logistics partner, Summit Cycle Solutions (the travel provider) declared a "force majeure" after the Governor of Colorado forced the trip to be canceled. This was due of the risks of 2,000 plus cyclists from throughout the nation, riding through small town s and the inability to provide social distancing and sanitary facilities for cyclists along the route. The trip provider had stated when registering the trip was non-refundable after after March 15, 2020. They claim many of the venues they contracted with in the host cities will not provide refunds and they had already incurred many costs. Note the even registration fee of $626.75 was paid directly to the foundation and the $1368.16 was paid to Summit. They will both permit me to apply the what I have paid to next years event, minus some fees. At this point I do not know if I want to ride next years, or will have the physical capability for this endurance event. I was able to directly cancel my flights and recover my fees in full.

As far a quarantine benefits, and definition the term is not defined in the policy, and according to the Washington State Insurance Commissioners office, they felt it applies especially since I am defined at risk due to my age. See sections J and M of the policy.

Last edited:

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
If you have already spoken with the Insurance Commissioners - what did they advise you do? One would think if they agreed with you that they would then tell the insurance company, but I admit that's just a guess on my part.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
The annual Ride The Rockies is a fundraiser for the Denver Post Foundation ( a non-profit). They and their hotel venue and logistics partner, Summit Cycle Solutions (the travel provider) declared a "force majeure" after the Governor of Colorado forced the trip to be canceled. This was due of the risks of 2,000 plus cyclists from throughout the nation, riding through small town s and the inability to provide social distancing and sanitary facilities for cyclists along the route. The trip provider had stated when registering the trip was non-refundable after after March 15, 2020. They claim many of the venues they contracted with in the host cities will not provide refunds and they had already incurred many costs. Note the even registration fee of $626.75 was paid directly to the foundation and the $1368.16 was paid to Summit. They will both permit me to apply the what I have paid to next years event, minus some fees. At this point I do not know if I want to ride next years, or will have the physical capability for this endurance event. I was able to directly cancel my flights and recover my fees in full.

As far a quarantine benefits, and definition the term is not defined in the policy, and according to the Washington State Insurance Commissioners office, they felt it applies especially since I am defined at risk due to my age. See sections J and M of the policy.
Were you able to provide a doctor's or government certification stating that you were quarantined during this period? You will need some type of official documentation that states you were quarantine to provide the insurance company.

The common definition of quarantine is an enforcement action by local or state health authorities which isolates an individual inside their own home or in a hospital because they have been diagnosed with or are suspected of being sick with a communicable disease.

As the policy doesn't provide a definition, then this will become a legal question, which unfortunately can only be answered by the regulatory officials or a court. Since your state's regulatory commission has told you that they believe your situation fits, then they should be able to pursue this with the insurance company as a regulatory matter. Otherwise you will need to seek legal advice from an attorney on the matter.

May 25, 2020
Did you file a complaint for the Insurance Commissioner to go after AON?
Great question. In Washington State the Insurance Commissioner sends a letter of the complaint asking for a reply. This is not unlike that of the Attorney General's office. Typically they do not directly take action on a single complaint, but look at a pattern of unfair and deceptive business practices. That said there is a great deal of pressure on insurance companies to do the right thing.

May 25, 2020
Were you able to provide a doctor's or government certification stating that you were quarantined during this period? You will need some type of official documentation that states you were quarantine to provide the insurance company.

The common definition of quarantine is an enforcement action by local or state health authorities which isolates an individual inside their own home or in a hospital because they have been diagnosed with or are suspected of being sick with a communicable disease.

As the policy doesn't provide a definition, then this will become a legal question, which unfortunately can only be answered by the regulatory officials or a court. Since your state's regulatory commission has told you that they believe your situation fits, then they should be able to pursue this with the insurance company as a regulatory matter. Otherwise you will need to seek legal advice from an attorney on the matter.
It it too bad insurance companies and others have to push a consumer to take legal action. It they do not respond the next step would be small claims court. They are happy to take my money when buying a policy and then work hard to disallow legitimate claims.