Tried Cancelling a Spirit Ticket Within 24 Hours of Booking

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 10, 2019
Booked ticket on 2/27 around 9:30 P.M. and tried cancelling it around 5:15 P.M. the next day, 2/28. Charges appeared that were more than the ticket price. Unable to cancel flight #1116 from San Juan, P.R. to Baltimore.

Mar 10, 2019
What is your question? You said, " tried canceling it ". Did you cancel or not?
What is your question? You said, " tried canceling it ". Did you cancel or not?
No, I did not cancel-I went ahead with the reservation not wanting to incur any added expense. I thought federal law allowed cancellation without charge within 24 hours. I must have been mistaken.

Mar 10, 2019
You might have hit the nail on the head- the 24 hour cancellation is not applicable to flights that are in 7 days or less.
I did not know that, I thought you could cancel a reservation without charge within 24 hours no matter how close to the flight date it was.

Sep 19, 2015
I did not know that, I thought you could cancel a reservation without charge within 24 hours no matter how close to the flight date it was.
The reservation has to be made directly with the airline and for travel 7 days or more later -- from the DOT

"For airline tickets that are purchased at least seven days before a flight’s scheduled departure, airlines are required to either:

• allow passengers to cancel their reservation within 24 hours and receive a full refund without a penalty, or
  • allow passengers to reserve a ticket (place it on hold) at the quoted price without paying for the ticket for 24 hours"
https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/buying-ticket

Reactions: VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So the flight was less than 7 days from when you booked? If so, the 24 hour cancellation policy isn’t valid.

Also- Spirit charges for everything. By the time you finish with all the extras it’s often cheaper to buy from the legacy lines.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is from the DOT rules. Please note it says it applies to reservations made 7 or more days in advance.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/Notice_24hour_hold_final20130530_0.pdf

This notice provides guidance to U.S. and foreign air carriers regarding compliance with the customer service rule that requires carriers to hold a reservation at the quoted fare for 24 hours without payment or allow a reservation to be cancelled within 24 hours without penalty (the “24- hour reservation requirement”). The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time.1 To comply with the regulation, carriers may not deceive consumers about the 24-hour reservation requirement when consumers inquire about cancelling or changing a reservation within 24 hours of making or paying for that reservation. This guidance also clarifies that the Department’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) considers the failure to notify such consumers of the 24-hour reservation requirement to be unfair and deceptive in violation of 49 U.S.C. § 41712. It also considers the failure to offer a passenger a full refund in the original form of payment in the event of a cancellation request covered by the 24-hour reservation requirement to be an unfair and deceptive practice.

Reactions: VoR61