Travelocity is holding my travel vouchers

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 13, 2020
I purchased airline tickets for six flights to and within Europe through Travelocity for our trip this May . All of those flights have now been cancelled and I have been issued vouchers for future travel.

Going forward, I do not want to have to deal with a company who only communicates with me via NOREPLY email addresses and who only allows communication from me via telephone (which involves EXCESSIVE hold times and provides no record of what was said on the call).

How I can get control of my travel vouchers away from Travelocity? My credit card was charged by the airlines directly. It seems to me that the original ticket purchasing relationship with Travelocity is over and I should be able to work directly with the airlines to use my credits.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020
I have not received actual vouchers as such. The Travelocity webpages for these itineraries says: "You've received airline credit with British Airways worth a total of ..." and "You've received airline credit with Virgin Atlantic worth a total of ...". Then there is a link provided to a Travelocity page on "How to use airline credit". This page states: "Using your flight credit issued due to COVID-19. .... Currently, the only option to redeem a flight credit for future use, is by calling us."

I tried filling out the British Airways online form to apply for the voucher and received this reply: "Thank you for your future travel voucher application. Unfortunately, we can't process bookings that weren't made directly with us. Please get in touch with your travel agent to discuss your options."

I had previously contacted Virgin Atlantic via text msg (a suggestion on their website) regarding a refund and their response was: "Unfortunately I am unable to offer you a refund as you booked through a third party, kindly refer back to your point of sale and they can advise you."

Ideally I would like refunds for all of these flights.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What an interesting question! I've not dealt with an online booking service since we were booking rides on covered wagons, so was glad to read Neil's advice. You are so right to wrest control of "your" money. I hope that Neil's suggestion works ... I doubt if there's enough time in your life to waste trying to deal with the online service. Please come back and let us know how things go.

May 13, 2020
I am going to continue to try to get refunds for all of these flights but that just may not be possible. If I do have to settle for credits, I don't anticipate wanting to use them for several months. I just want them under my control when I do go to use them.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Try going to BA’s website and putting in your confirmation number and see if it shows anything.

Otherwise- you are stuck going through Travelocity for the credits. This is one of the drawbacks of using an OTA.

Take it as a lesson learned and book directly with the airline going forward.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
The credit is your ticket number. When you want to use it towards a new booking, Travelocity will be able to reissue the ticket applying that credit towards the cost of the new one. Vouchers are not usually provided when credit is from a previously purchased ticket.

Reactions: Pixie Pie
May 13, 2020
Who actually has my money? If my credit card was charged by the airlines whose terms and conditions will apply with regard to using my credits (such as expiry dates)? I'm sure I'll be charged if the new fares are higher than the credit but what if they are lower? Thanks for your help!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Once you book with a travel agency, they own your ticket and the airline won’t deal with you. You always have to deal with the travel agency. It doesn’t matter who charged your card, it is who sold it to you.

This is why we recommend using OTAs to price a flight and going directly to the airline to buy it.

May 13, 2020
There is definitely no chance I will ever use an OTA again to do anything but look. These tickets are worth a lot of money so whose terms and conditions will apply with regard to using my credits (such as expiry dates), the airline's or Travelocity's? Thanks again!

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
There is definitely no chance I will ever use an OTA again to do anything but look. These tickets are worth a lot of money so whose terms and conditions will apply with regard to using my credits (such as expiry dates), the airline's or Travelocity's? Thanks again!
If the airline charged your credit card, then it is likely you have a published fare, so the airline terms will likely apply. Usually, the airlines will require the issuing agency to reissue the ticket, but if the ticket is based on a published fare, the airline has the option (at their discretion) to take control of it and reissue it themselves. If you don't use the full credit, any remaining amount will usually expire of the dates provided.