Travelocity/Airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 30, 2020
On Aug. 20, 2019 I purchased a ticket on Travelocity ($1,432.73, including travel insurance) to visit my son who lives in Brazil. This is the first time I had booked on a 3rd party site. I had saved money for 3 years and was looking forward to seeing my son. Over the 10 months since purchasing my ticket, GOL Aereas and Delta made 13 changes to my itinerary, including one where my flight from Minneapolis/St Paul arrived in Atlanta half an hour after my connecting flight to Brazil left! They also changed the cities of my connecting flights many times (perhaps they had cancelled some flights?). It seems like Travelocity does not communicate much with the actual airlines.

Passport Health Clinic cancelled my appointment for a yellow fever shot because of Covid-19. Due to that and Covid-19, I cancelled my trip on June 1st (I was scheduled to leave on June 17 and return July 5). I was sent an email confirmation that stated that Travelocity was giving me a voucher in order to reschedule at a later date. I requested a full refund from Travelocity and was directed to the insurance company. Of course, the insurance I purchased does not cover a pandemic, so they refused.

I've spent hours on the phone and sent multiple emails regarding my ticket. Travelocity opened a case to look into my request and decided that they would keep $785.40 of my refund due to a cancellation policy. I never saw this hidden policy when I booked my ticket. To me, a refundable ticket means you get refunded the price paid for the ticket.

On June 26 I called Travelocity again to ask a few more questions. On that day I was told that Travelocity would keep $859 of my refund or I could choose to re-book my flight before Aug 20, 2020 (one year from purchase, not one year from travel date)! I cannot fly to Brazil during the pandemic (I am 61 years old). My son called GOL and was told that their policy is to give a refund to Travelocity. Travelocity told me that is not the policy of GOL. This all seems really complicated, with different entities saying different things. These policies do not bode well for companies who want customers to book travel in the future.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Was the flight canceled by the airline? If it was not, you aren’t due any refund.

If you canceled and the flight actually flew, you would only be due a refund less the airline/travel agency service fees in the form of a voucher. That is IF you book directly with the airline. If you book with a third party, as you did withTravelocity, they aren’t required to provide refunds.

Jun 30, 2020
Is there a way for me to find out if the flights actually flew? I did cancel, but perhaps the flights were actually canceled at the last minute on their end as well. What then?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you canceled before the flight was canceled (if it was) you ate only due a credit. And if the flight actually went out, you might be subject to cancellation penalties if the airline hadn’t issued waivers.

May 30, 2019
Is there a way for me to find out if the flights actually flew? I did cancel, but perhaps the flights were actually canceled at the last minute on their end as well. What then?
One site that would might actual flight information is flightaware.com. If you share the specific flight info, I can help you look it up.

However, the point is likely moot. @Neil Maley's posts are correct. If you cancelled before the flight was cancelled (if it was), you are subject to the cancellation policy in effect at that time with Travelocity because Travlocity was the Online Travel Agency (OTA) booking your flight. You can check to see if the credit can be applied to a flight booked by August 20 for a later day, or if it might be transferable. You can plead for a goodwill adjustment, but you are nonetheless subject to the company policy.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
On Aug. 20, 2019 I purchased a ticket on Travelocity ($1,432.73, including travel insurance) to visit my son who lives in Brazil. This is the first time I had booked on a 3rd party site. I had saved money for 3 years and was looking forward to seeing my son. Over the 10 months since purchasing my ticket, GOL Aereas and Delta made 13 changes to my itinerary, including one where my flight from Minneapolis/St Paul arrived in Atlanta half an hour after my connecting flight to Brazil left! They also changed the cities of my connecting flights many times (perhaps they had cancelled some flights?). It seems like Travelocity does not communicate much with the actual airlines.

Passport Health Clinic cancelled my appointment for a yellow fever shot because of Covid-19. Due to that and Covid-19, I cancelled my trip on June 1st (I was scheduled to leave on June 17 and return July 5). I was sent an email confirmation that stated that Travelocity was giving me a voucher in order to reschedule at a later date. I requested a full refund from Travelocity and was directed to the insurance company. Of course, the insurance I purchased does not cover a pandemic, so they refused.

I've spent hours on the phone and sent multiple emails regarding my ticket. Travelocity opened a case to look into my request and decided that they would keep $785.40 of my refund due to a cancellation policy. I never saw this hidden policy when I booked my ticket. To me, a refundable ticket means you get refunded the price paid for the ticket.

On June 26 I called Travelocity again to ask a few more questions. On that day I was told that Travelocity would keep $859 of my refund or I could choose to re-book my flight before Aug 20, 2020 (one year from purchase, not one year from travel date)! I cannot fly to Brazil during the pandemic (I am 61 years old). My son called GOL and was told that their policy is to give a refund to Travelocity. Travelocity told me that is not the policy of GOL. This all seems really complicated, with different entities saying different things. These policies do not bode well for companies who want customers to book travel in the future.
What was the reason you gave them when you cancelled? Did you say, "I can't get my immunizations and I'm afraid of COVID"? Or did you say, "You've changed my itinerary and I am unwilling to accept the changes you've made"? If they cancelled some of your flights and put you on others, you would have had a decent case for a refund, especially if it significantly affected your arrival time at the destination or created untenable layovers, but if you accepted the itinerary changes and then cancelled due to COVID without waiting for the airline to do it, you're likely out of luck. Keep trying. Good Luck.