Travel2Be/TravelGenio

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 14, 2020
I've been trying to get a refund from Travel2Be since February of this year. I purchased a ticket in Sept. 2019 with cancellation protection. I learned I was pregnant in Dec. 2019. My doctor told me in Jan. 2020 that I cannot travel due to some complications. I requested with Travel2Be to cancel my booking in Feb. 2020, I told them I have cancellation protection and sent them my doctor's note and also a copy of my marriage certificate so they cancel my husband's ticket as well (he is my caretaker and he needs to cancel as well). They tried to offer me credit or to change my dates, but since I can't travel due to medical reasons, I told them I prefer to get the refund. There was more back and forth and they told me that the medical note that I sent them needed to be "signed and stamped." They said if I send this to them, they will process my request. I asked them for more clarification because I get care at a big HMO and doctor's notes are sent electronically. And I'm not sure who is supposed to stamp the letter — my HMO? or the doctor? I also told them that because of the pandemic, much of my care was being handled remotely via phone and email and when I go in, it's mostly to do lab works and such and I don't actually see my doctor. I've asked at least three times now for more clarification, and sent them a second medical note that has the Kaiser letterhead and it specifically states that the letter was electronically signed by my doctor. And still, I get no response from Travel2Be, no clarification on how I can resolve this. I'm finally able to go to a physical doctor's appointment next week and I was hoping to get some more guidance from Travel2Be so that I can continue to proceed with my claim, but I haven't heard anything. I also don't know if they'll still accept whatever else I send them. Again, since I'm in a big HMO, I don't necessarily know who is supposed to "stamp" this medical letter," I'm not even sure what I should be asking my doctor.

There is an active case with the Christopher Elliott direct advocacy department on my behalf, but I"m looking for further guidance on this here. Does anyone know what I should do? Aside from the letter, I think it's ridiculous that they're not even acknowledging me at this point. I purchased insurance, along with my booking, and the company does not want to abide by the insurance contract that I bought.

Timeline of events below:

Sept. 23, 2019: I purchased a ticket through Travel2Be/TravelGenio with cancellation protection: http://us.travel2be.com/pages/cancellation-insurance My confirmation number was:XXXXXX
Dec. 20, 2019: I learned I was pregnant.
Jan. 8, 2019: My doctor told me that I cannot travel due to some complications.
Feb. 22, 2020: I requested to cancel my booking with Travel2Be because of medical reason. I told them I have cancellation protection and sent them my doctor's note and also a copy of my marriage certificate so they cancel my husband's ticket as well (he is my caretaker and he needs to cancel as well).
March 11, 2020: I followed up on my request to cancel and received a note March 11 saying that my request was being processed and that I was going to get a refund if I have the cancellation protection. Apparently the original flight I booked has been cancelled because of all the current travel restrictions (which has nothing to do with me) and now they say I can ask the airline for credit or make changes to my itinerary. I didn't want changes to my itinerary. The issue here is that I can't travel for medical reason.
March 17, 2020: I was asked to turn in all of the documents that I already turned in. This included: medical not, copy of marriage certificate. I resent all of the documents.
March 19, 2020: I was told: "We are in contact with the airline in order to get their authorization for the full refund of your tickets due to the schedule changes suffered and your madical situation. As soon as we will have an update from them we will be back in contact with you through this email." I later received an email stating: "1- You can make a dates change in your itinerary, however, if there is any fare difference you must pay it. 2- The airline can propose a credit note for the amount of your tickets for a one year validity. (With this option the ticket remains non refundable in case of cancellation)." Again, I responded that I don't want to change dates nor do I want credit because I CANNOT TRAVEL FOR MEDICAL REASONS.
March 20, 2020: I receive an email saying that my medical letter needs to be "signed and stamped." I asked for clarification and guidance on the medical letter because I am in a big HMO system in the United States and the way the doctors handle medical notes is through digital means. I asked what "stamped" means ... I don't think my doctor has some sort of stamp to put on her notes. Additionally, because of the pandemic, all of my care was being done through phone or video chat at that point. I didn't hear back.
March 25, 2020: I again ask for clarification and guidance on the medical letter and got my doctor to send a second letter, also electronically. It specifically states that the document was signed electronically.
May 20, 2020: I still haven't heard back from Travel2Be. I'm also now wondering if there's a deadline for when I can turn in a signed letter. I need to hear back to get explicit details on how the letter needs to be because I'm finally doing an in-person appointment next week.

NOTE- edited by moderator to remove confirmation number

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Does your cancellation protection include pregnancy as a valid reason for canceling? Many policies explicitly EXCLUDE pregnancy as a covered condition.

Reactions: Skippy

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
When you go to your appointment, ask the nurse to draft a letter using the doctor's letterhead, have him/her sign it and stamp it. Then send the travel company a copy of the document (or send the original but keep a copy for yourself).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Does your cancellation protection include pregnancy as a valid reason for canceling? Many policies explicitly EXCLUDE pregnancy as a covered condition.
This is correct. Do you have a link to the policy? The website says it covers if you cancel for a covered reason- you need to know if pregnancy is covered by the policy.

And their information says you must provide an official document which your doctors office can provide when you go to the office.

“You must also attach a signed and stamped readable official medical certificate (that indicates the passenger is unable to travel on the scheduled dates). In case illness or death of a family member is the reason of the cancellation, an official document certifying the family relationship (family record, for example) must also be attached.“

Jul 15, 2018
Thank you for your comment Marnfed. We would like one of our agents to study your case. So that they can do so, please send an e-mail to [email protected], indicating the Booking ID (8-digit code that appears in the confirmation e-mail) in the subject line. Remember to use the e-mail address you used to make your reservation. You will immediately receive instructions, which you can follow.
Best regards.

Mar 14, 2020
Don’t they have their own insurance form your doctor can complete? Most insurance companies have their own medical declaration form a doctor needs to complete.
The problem is that I haven't gotten any guidance from Travel2Be. They didn't mention anything about a form/medical declaration that I should give me doctor. I didn't see anything like that on their cancellation insurance page. http://us.travel2be.com/pages/cancellation-insurance

Mar 14, 2020
Thank you for your comment Marnfed. We would like one of our agents to study your case. So that they can do so, please send an e-mail to [email protected], indicating the Booking ID (8-digit code that appears in the confirmation e-mail) in the subject line. Remember to use the e-mail address you used to make your reservation. You will immediately receive instructions, which you can follow.
Best regards.
I've already emailed this [email protected] and provided them with the information on my booking ID and everything. And yes, this was using the original email address I used to make reservations. My ticket number was included when I sent that first email to [email protected] is #xxxxxxx. I've also emailed: [email protected] and [email protected]. I ended up emailing [email protected] as well and received yet another ticket #xxxxxxx. You're telling me I have to start another email thread with [email protected]?

Note- edited by moderator to remove ticket number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 14, 2020
This is the cancellation policy: http://us.travel2be.com/pages/cancellation-insurance in all of my correspondence with them, they never said that the issue was that pregnancy is excluded as a covered condition. My medical complications were as a result of pregnancy (which did not happen two months after I purchased the booking and the cancellation protection). The only thing they mentioned was the medical letter that needed to be "stamped and signed." The main issue is that they stopped responding to me even when I've asked for more guidance on how to resolve this.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020
This is correct. Do you have a link to the policy? The website says it covers if you cancel for a covered reason- you need to know if pregnancy is covered by the policy.

And their information says you must provide an official document which your doctors office can provide when you go to the office.

“You must also attach a signed and stamped readable official medical certificate (that indicates the passenger is unable to travel on the scheduled dates). In case illness or death of a family member is the reason of the cancellation, an official document certifying the family relationship (family record, for example) must also be attached.“
This is the cancellation policy: http://us.travel2be.com/pages/cancellation-insurance in all of my correspondence with them, they never said that the issue was that pregnancy is excluded as a covered condition. My medical complications were as a result of pregnancy (which I did not happen two months after I purchased the booking and the cancellation protection). The only thing they mentioned was the medical letter that needed to be "stamped and signed." The main issue is that they stopped responding to me even when I've asked for more guidance on how to resolve this.

Again, my doctor provided me with a letter online and the Kaiser Permanente letter head is on it and it specifically states that it was electronically signed by my doctor. And yet.... I haven't received any information or guidance on whether this is enough. My main point is that this digital letter given to me by my doctor is considered an official letter, according to my health insurance ... this is just how they handle medical letters... and I'm trying to convey that to Travel2Be/TravelGenio and yet they haven't responded to me about why this is insufficient or what they could possibly want from me.

Mar 14, 2020
When you go to your appointment, ask the nurse to draft a letter using the doctor's letterhead, have him/her sign it and stamp it. Then send the travel company a copy of the document (or send the original but keep a copy for yourself).
I will ask ... I'm not sure if they have a "stamp" ... this is not a small family doctor's office, this is an HMO with lots of doctors, lots of nurses/front desk people. My plan is to print out the original letter my doctor gave me (which I already sent to Travel2Be/TravelGenio) and ask her to sign it for me. I'll ask them about "stamping it" but I'm not sure if they'll do that. The original letter already has the Clinic/Hospital's letterhead on it. I think the issue is that Clinic/Hospital consider these digital/electronically signed medical letters to be official, but it seems like Travel2Be/TravelGenio doesn't care about that.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm not going back to reread this very long post, but my question may be the same as our OP's. Of course the letter needs to be signed by an MD, but what does "stamped" mean? Stamped with what? Do the medical people know what the insurance company wants ... is it commonplace to require a "stamp" on a letter?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Are you aware that the Travel2Be/TravelGenio telephone number +34 91 754 5683 is in Spain? There is no US oversight or control of their policies.
Address: Albasanz, 15, 2º Izq., 28037 Madrid (Spain) and VAT number (CIF) B25761120, registered in the Corporate Register, Madrid, Spain

Reactions: JVillegirl541
Nov 22, 2019
Are you aware that the Travel2Be/TravelGenio telephone number +34 91 754 5683 is in Spain? There is no US oversight or control of their policies.
Address: Albasanz, 15, 2º Izq., 28037 Madrid (Spain) and VAT number (CIF) B25761120, registered in the Corporate Register, Madrid, Spain
In France the doctor signs certificates by hand AND stamps it as well. Without stamp, it is not valid. Maybe because the company is spanish, they want the same thing. I am not aware of the Spanish rules but it is probably very similar. I got myself many issues with official european documents considered as non official here, it s a mess both ways.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
In France the doctor signs certificates by hand AND stamps it as well. Without stamp, it is not valid. Maybe because the company is spanish, they want the same thing. I am not aware of the Spanish rules but it is probably very similar. I got myself many issues with official european documents considered as non official here, it s a mess both ways.
What do they stamp? What are they stamping on the cert?

Mar 14, 2020
UPDATE: Hi all, I got the doctor to sign my medical letters and she stamped the letter as well with her name. I sent the documents to Travel2Be/TravelGenio, but I"m afraid I'm still not going to get a response. There are so many people on the internet who've done the same as I have, contacted them multiple times and no response. I did see advise about contacting my bank and reporting the company for not rendering service that they said they would provide. I'm wondering if that's a good idea for my case. Thoughts?

Jul 13, 2016
I hope this works out, but I am still worried that your pregnancy will not be covered. I have seen many travel insurance policies that do not cover any issue stemming from pregnancy.

Reactions: Skippy