The worst Christmas ever thanks to PayPal

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 28, 2019
Hi I'm mark Scalgione PayPal totally burnt me this passed Christmas of 2019 is the worst ever when I got over a thousand put into my business account ( very small business ) it's was 330 December 24th and I just went to ATM to pay off my worker for last few days help I get the cash and give it head back to job site in process I was looking online for a nice affordable hostel in the area for myself to spend the holiday season then when I tried to book my reservation the card said declined I need it again when I ran it so then I called that PayPal customer service they told me that there was no they didn't see nothing wrong with the car that they were going to bring me over to card services but I sat on card services I guess for 45 minutes the first time and I hung up because he's getting later now now it's probably 4:45-5pm maybe 6 when I call that customer service again they picked up and they said to me cuz I asked him can you please connect me with a live person I cannot sit on the phone here I got to get a hotel room and can you please release my card is nothing wrong with it no I just used it and everything so then they put me back the card services and then I waited again for 40 minutes I hung up and then I called customer service back I beg them please get me somebody I can talk to please I got to get a hotel room I don't have no place to go they insist on telling me that this is the only thing they can do so I go back on hold for another 45 minutes and then I got a little message saying they're closed I was out of my mind do you know what I had to do that on Christmas Eve I sat outside freezing my balls off literally I had no food money no hotel when I had over $600 left on my PayPal card vigorously went through my accounts online I take out my profile my account I found that I can change on there nothing I figured okay maybe I just did the maximum required for withdrawal today well actually it said $400 cash and then 3000 spending they lock my card up waiting for the next morning I figured okay I just get through the night he came and I'll call them first thing in the morninG 7 AM MY TIME 6 am there time I couldn't cuz I was going to eat and I was going to get out of the cold but when I called I got a message machine saying they're observing the holidays and they'll be closed today I went out of my mind that night again on Christmas day I was sitting outside in the freezing cold still ain't have nothing to eat for two days and two nights when morning of 26 th came I called again 7am my time 6 am there I got a hold of them I told him what happened I was very very trying to become of course but the guy at texted me one thing and my card was activated again and I insist on talking to a manager and when I did and told her now but the hotel that I booked for the week I can't have anymore cuz I was trying to book one okay and that one particular one that was my team price range is all booked now and the only ones I wore last with the ones that were double I insisted that she paid for my week and she told me she can't they could at least should have never put a stop payment on my card leaving me fries on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day I froze - people think about that shaken to the core I'm holiday I was going to a hotel or hostel 2 to make my holiday somewhat beautiful and then they made it for me a nightmare from hell I'm sorry I think the PayPal shouldn't make this up to me somehow I just can't believe that they did this to me I want something out of that I shouldn't have the freeze on the holidays and then when I had money in my account to go pay for a hotel room it's not fair

Note- edited by moderator to remove inappropriate language.

Last edited by a moderator:

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Your narrative is very, very long and the lack of punctuation makes it nearly impossible to understand. Could you please rewrite your issues, using bullet points and state only the facts. We are happy to help, but need a clear understanding of your problem in order to advise you.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Mark, it looks like you have quite a mess on your hands. I cannot decipher your post. As BittyBoo says, just make a list of the facts in chronological order, starting with the obvious. You have some kind of business account with PayPal ... tell us what it is. Tell us what happened, just make a list of the facts: 1, 2, 3. We can probably assist, but we need the details, all of them.

Reactions: BittyBoo
Dec 19, 2014
The original post is unreadable, but what I got out of it is...
- Tried to book a hostel using Paypal
- Payment not authorized despite having sufficient funds in account
- Unable to contact Paypal customer service to rectify situation due to holidays.

Unsure what OP wants to have done.

Reactions: VoR61
Jan 11, 2019
I think he wants some sort of compensation because he didn't have a way to pay for his hostel or eat for 2 nights because PayPal froze his account. When they finally released his money, the hostel was booked up and he couldn't afford to stay anywhere else because it was double the price.
Did you Literally stay outside in the cold with no food for 2 days and nights? I just can't imagine having to rely on a PayPal account to house and feed me but I realize people have different life experiences.
I wish I knew how to offer help but I'm not sure what compensation you want from PayPal. I doubt they'll do anything.

Dec 28, 2019
Ok the facts got it ...so I am from out of town..in in Denver getting work.. I had over 600$ in my paypal business account .. I went to pay a worker I had his pay ...I got it at atm then I was walking back to the place I was working at and trying to book hotel ... My card was locked ..I called and called and got customer service , but not card services ...I waited on hold over 3 hours when I started at 430 pm and thengot message they closed for holidays .. yesi was out side in freezing cold with no food or place to stay when I had money in my account.... after two days in morning of 26th it took one second to release my card and I list out on my hotel at price I could afford ...they owe me for sitting outside in cold freezing and not eating on Christmas Eve and Christmas

RLB

May 28, 2019
I only use paypal to pay for online purchases but if I understand you correctly:
* your source of funds for your trip was money stored in a paypal account
* you have a business paypal debit card which you were trying to use at atms to obtain cash
* this card was locked and you were unable to get necessary cash
* paypal customer service was not able to unlock your card
* you want compensation from paypal for hardships incurred
If the above is correct, while I certainly empathize, one of the pitfalls of using paypal as a bank is that paypal is not regulated as banks are and, rightly or wrongly, you have virtually no recourse for your situation. The paypal cardholder agreement states that business hours are Mon through Fri excluding holidays. It also states that paypal can at any time change withdrawal limits and also contains language stating that paypal can refuse to authorize activities if paypal suspects fraudulent activity. (There is no description of what may be considered fraudulent so you basically have no grounds to argue with their reasons.). When you applied for this card, you agreed to these and other terms and conditions.

Aug 29, 2018
I only use paypal to pay for online purchases but if I understand you correctly:
* your source of funds for your trip was money stored in a paypal account
* you have a business paypal debit card which you were trying to use at atms to obtain cash
* this card was locked and you were unable to get necessary cash
* paypal customer service was not able to unlock your card
* you want compensation from paypal for hardships incurred
If the above is correct, while I certainly empathize, one of the pitfalls of using paypal as a bank is that paypal is not regulated as banks are and, rightly or wrongly, you have virtually no recourse for your situation. The paypal cardholder agreement states that business hours are Mon through Fri excluding holidays. It also states that paypal can at any time change withdrawal limits and also contains language stating that paypal can refuse to authorize activities if paypal suspects fraudulent activity. (There is no description of what may be considered fraudulent so you basically have no grounds to argue with their reasons.). When you applied for this card, you agreed to these and other terms and conditions.
I read points two and three differently. It sounded like the original poster:

* Successfully withdrew cash to pay an employee at an ATM
* Was unable to subsequently use the card at a hotel

I may have misread.

But I'd also note that a large withdrawl from an ATM on a trip (ie, not one local to you) may trigger a fraud alert.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here are our company contacts for PayPal. I would suggest you expand on and use the bullet points to form a clear letter to PayPal - if we had a hard time understanding the problem, PayPal won’t understand it either.
Such as:

-On Dec. 24, I was in Denver on a job. I had $xxxx in my PayPal account and withdrew $400 from an ATM to pay an employee.
- After the withdrawal, I had $xxxx left in my account.
-I then attempted to book a hotel for $xxxx with the card.
- The card was flagged and I was unable to use it.
- I called the PayPal phone number..... etc.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/paypal/

Here is how to write. Please read this carefully and write exactly as we recommend in this:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/