Target keeps on cancelling my order

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 12, 2020
I received a gift card from a family member and I did not have a target account, so I made the account and tried to purchase something with just that gift card, to my surprise it got cancelled in the next 30 minutes, I tried again and another cancel. It keeps on saying they can’t process my payment method.

May 21, 2020
near Charlotte, NC
Did you save the gift card to your Target.com account first? If you have no other payment method, it becomes your default. If it still cancels your order after you save the GC you might need to add a another payment method (bank acct, credit card) before you can use the gift card.

But I’d check the balance first to make sure it’s valid.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Are you sure the gift card is valid? Have you checked the balance?
Gift cards are the flavor of the month with scammers these days. Apparently they are able to get things started physically in a store with gift cards displayed out in the open. Then they wait until someone buys one and slurp the value right up. There are also issues with consumers doing something to gift cards, buying on the internet "black market" or something. I have no experience, but we receive posts on this topic weekly and in most cases, whoever issued the gift card just shrugs and won't help. I find this all very troubling, because gift cards are a wonderful thing in theory. Like vacation rentals, I hate to see them go away because of the crooks. As Neil says, validate the amount on the gift card to see where you stand.

Jul 12, 2020
Did you save the gift card to your Target.com account first? If you have no other payment method, it becomes your default. If it still cancels your order after you save the GC you might need to add a another payment method (bank acct, credit card) before you can use the gift card.

But I’d check the balance first to make sure it’s valid.
The balance is checked, it’s for 10 dollars. And yes I’ll go ahead and add another payment method

Jul 12, 2020
Gift cards are the flavor of the month with scammers these days. Apparently they are able to get things started physically in a store with gift cards displayed out in the open. Then they wait until someone buys one and slurp the value right up. There are also issues with consumers doing something to gift cards, buying on the internet "black market" or something. I have no experience, but we receive posts on this topic weekly and in most cases, whoever issued the gift card just shrugs and won't help. I find this all very troubling, because gift cards are a wonderful thing in theory. Like vacation rentals, I hate to see them go away because of the crooks. As Neil says, validate the amount on the gift card to see where you stand.
That’s helpful information, thanks!