T Mobile Repeatedly Changes Plan and Adds Charges

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 8, 2020
I have had the 2 lines for $60 for Seniors for several years and had no intentions of changing it. I recently went to a T Mobile store to purchase a replacement phone when my existing one quit working. The clerk sold me a phone and I was also given a tablet that was advertised as free. When I got my next bill, it was considerably higher and 2 more lines had been added. When I complained, a refund was given and my plan was restored to the original $60 per month/2 line plan (plus small monthly payments for accessory, etc., purchases). When I got my last bill, my account had been automatically drafted for around $70 more than the previous month when my plan and charges had been corrected. Please advise.

Nov 22, 2019
The same happened to my uncle. He got a "free" tablet when upgrading his phone but with a two years contract so he had to pay $40 a month for 2 years for access fee (So the free tablet costed him ~$1000, the retail price). I went to the store 2 days after he told me to shame the salemen who took advantages of him. I got fooled one day myself by AT&T...

I guess the tablet is one of the added line you saw. It is indeed free (you don't pay for it) but you are required to have it connected to Tmobile ($40/mo).
Was your old phone under contract? If so, it is possible that Tmobile opened a new line for the new phone, keeping the old line with the broken phone which is still under contract. That would explained the two lines added.
Do you have information on what are the extra $70 charges? When did you got to the store? Is it too late to return the tablet?

Apr 10, 2017
I have also had the T-Mobile 55+ plan since it was first offered and have been extremely pleased. I have always found T-Mobile very easy to deal with and quick to fix their errors. However, I always deal with them via direct messages on Twitter. It is fast and you have a written record of what is discussed.

If they gave you a 'free' tablet, signing up for a new line is required. And 'free' does not mean that it is yours from the start, it means that the cost is divided up into 24 payments which are billed each month and you receive a credit for that amount. If you cancel the line, the balance is due.

Apr 8, 2020
Thank you for the tip. I will try contacting them via Twitter. Guess I should have known better to believe their claim that the tablet was free. The clerk even said I could not make calls with it with my plan and I told her I would just download a calling app if I wanted to make calls with it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The tablet is free but you have to activate a line for it- from
their website:

See how to get this tablet FREE via bill credits when you activate a qualifying mobile internet line.

Apr 8, 2020
The tablet is free but you have to activate a line for it- from
their website:

See how to get this tablet FREE via bill credits when you activate a qualifying mobile internet line.
Thanks, Neil. The clerk didn't tell me any of that, and that transaction was done about two months ago. I called and complained when my next bill was so high and told them I never wanted to add any lines. I just went in to buy a phone and was given what I was told was a free tablet. They gave me a refund and I thought the matter was settled. I get really weary of constantly having to dispute overcharges

Jan 17, 2019
I've had the 2 line $60/month plan since it was first implemented. I own two unlocked phones and an Asus tablet that is Wi-fi only. I talked to someone at my local T-Mobile store and he mentioned that I can simply set up a mobile hotspot on my phone (included with the plan) and connect my tablet to it. He even showed me how to set it up.

I would then not need a phone line for my tablet. You might just keep the "free" tablet, discontinue the associated line, and use your phone to connect it that way.

Reactions: pooh35976
Apr 10, 2017
I've had the 2 line $60/month plan since it was first implemented. I own two unlocked phones and an Asus tablet that is Wi-fi only. I talked to someone at my local T-Mobile store and he mentioned that I can simply set up a mobile hotspot on my phone (included with the plan) and connect my tablet to it. He even showed me how to set it up.

I would then not need a phone line for my tablet. You might just keep the "free" tablet, discontinue the associated line, and use your phone to connect it that way.
If you read the previous posts, you'd see that what you're suggesting is not possible. 'Free' means 24 monthly payments with a credit each month equal to offset the charge for the tablet. If you discontinue the line, the remaining balance is due. However, if you have a personal ipad or android tablet which uses wifi, you can certainly use your T-Mobile hotspot function on your mobile phone for tablet access. I do it all the time. Works great.

Jan 17, 2019
If you read the previous posts, you'd see that what you're suggesting is not possible. 'Free' means 24 monthly payments with a credit each month equal to offset the charge for the tablet. If you discontinue the line, the remaining balance is due. However, if you have a personal ipad or android tablet which uses wifi, you can certainly use your T-Mobile hotspot function on your mobile phone for tablet access. I do it all the time. Works great.
I've never purchased any hardware from T-Mobile in the 10+ years I've had their service, and was/am not aware of exactly how they charge for "free" items.

Apr 8, 2020

I spoke with a T Mobile rep via Twitter yesterday and, despite her being aware that I was told that the tablet was free and I told the salesperson (who told me I could not make calls with the tablet) that I could just use a calling app if I wanted to make calls. the T Mobile rep on Twitter said that I would have to pay for the tablet if I canceled the line that was added without my permission.

Apr 10, 2017
I spoke with a T Mobile rep via Twitter yesterday and, despite her being aware that I was told that the tablet was free and I told the salesperson (who told me I could not make calls with the tablet) that I could just use a calling app if I wanted to make calls. the T Mobile rep on Twitter said that I would have to pay for the tablet if I canceled the line that was added without my permission.
My hunch is that, if you look through your paperwork, you will find that you gave permission for the line to be added. My suggestion to use Twitter was to correct and/or understand your billing statement, not to get out of a signed contract. What was said and what was heard at the store may be 2 different things. The tablet is 'free' as long as you maintain the new line. You're paying for the line, not the tablet. As an example, see below. Everything is disclosed.

G Pad 5™ 10.1 FHD
See how to get it FREE when you add an eligible Mobile Internet line.

How to get this offer:

Add a new eligible Mobile Internet plan, or a new line to an existing Mobile Internet plan.

2. Purchase a LG G Pad™ 5 10.1” on a monthly payment plan.

3. Receive 24 monthly bill credits totaling the value of the device.

Bill credits will be applied 1-2 billing cycles after purchase. If you cancel wireless service, credits may stop & remaining balance on required finance agreements may be due.

Have questions? See FAQs.

Call 1-800-T-MOBILE

If you cancel wireless service, you will owe up to full device amount ($299.99). Tax on pre-credit price due at sale. Limited time offer; subject to change. Qualifying mobile internet service (6GB or higher) required. If you have canceled mobile internet lines in past 90 days, reactivate them first. $10 SIM card and, in stores & on customer service calls, $20 assisted or upgrade support charge may be required. $299.99 via monthly bill credits; must remain active and in good standing to receive credits; allow 2 bill cycles. May not be combinable with some offers or discounts (e.g. Carrier Freedom).