• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Special request for Deployed Military

Dec 14, 2019
Hi all,

This isn't a complaint issue, so please let me know if I need to relocate this post to another forum.

I am a [former active duty] current Navy reservist who is currently deployed. I fly Delta, nearly exclusively, for my civilian work and prior to being deployed, flew enough to get within 1005 MQMs of Platinum Medallion status. For reference, Platinum is 75,000 MQMs (I got 98.7% there). If not for my deployment, I would certainly have reached Platinum. I would like to reach out to customer service and ask if they would be willing to comp me the final 1005 MQMs to reach status for next year; I've met all the other requirements (spend, etc.).

Would this perhaps be better as a social media post? That way I'd also give them an opportunity for positive press on Twitter if they respond publicly.

Does this sound out-of-bounds or greedy? I really try not to leverage my military service for perks, but I've never reached Platinum before and I think this is as good a time as any!

Thanks in advance.

Chris

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hi all,

This isn't a complaint issue, so please let me know if I need to relocate this post to another forum.

I am a [former active duty] current Navy reservist who is currently deployed. I fly Delta, nearly exclusively, for my civilian work and prior to being deployed, flew enough to get within 1005 MQMs of Platinum Medallion status. For reference, Platinum is 75,000 MQMs (I got 98.7% there). If not for my deployment, I would certainly have reached Platinum. I would like to reach out to customer service and ask if they would be willing to comp me the final 1005 MQMs to reach status for next year; I've met all the other requirements (spend, etc.).

Would this perhaps be better as a social media post? That way I'd also give them an opportunity for positive press on Twitter if they respond publicly.

Does this sound out-of-bounds or greedy? I really try not to leverage my military service for perks, but I've never reached Platinum before and I think this is as good a time as any!

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Your request is not out of bounds or greedy. I think they will accommodate you and grant your desired status.
Reach out to Delta: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/delta-airlines/
Start with: Victoria.ForbesRoberts@delta.com

Dec 14, 2019
Thanks, weihlac.

My initial email is below. I waited until mid-Tues morning (ATL time) in hopes the chances of it getting lost in the shuffle are minimized.

I will update as appropriate.

Edited by Moderator to remove screen shot that showed OPs Skymiles and personal information for the internet safety of our OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VoR61

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree, Delta seems to have the best customer service here in the US. I would call if you don't hear back quickly ... the SkyMiles need to get into your account before 12/31. Using Social Media would be tricky, I think. DL wouldn't want to broadcast what they're doing for you because a billion others would expect the same treatment. As for being greedy, not a chance, I think you deserve this special treatment for your service.

May 26, 2019
Chris, thank you for your service.

Delta has a program called "Elevate Your Status," in which you can purchase the MQMs that you need if you're close to a Medallion level. If they're not willing to give you those MQMs as a courtesy (and I hope they do), check out "Elevate Your Status" on the Delta website and see if the cost is something that you're willing to pay.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61
Dec 14, 2019
Chris, thank you for your service.

Delta has a program called "Elevate Your Status," in which you can purchase the MQMs that you need if you're close to a Medallion level. If they're not willing to give you those MQMs as a courtesy (and I hope they do), check out "Elevate Your Status" on the Delta website and see if the cost is something that you're willing to pay.
Yes, I've seen this. Problem is....there is a package for 1,000 MQMs which would still leave me 5 short. I'd want to write a similar email asking for a comp of 5 MQMs, because it's certainly not with the money to purchase the next package up, which is 2,500 MQMs, I believe.

Dec 14, 2019
I will also take y'alls advice and try to escalate quickly. Would my best bet be emailing Heidi Gould (the secondary contact) or calling customer service? Or both?

All the advice is much appreciated!

May 30, 2019
I will also take y'alls advice and try to escalate quickly. Would my best bet be emailing Heidi Gould (the secondary contact) or calling customer service? Or both? All the advice is much appreciated!
Firstly, thank you for your service! I think (but would not firmly assert) going to the secondary contact would make sense now. Calling Customer Service would only put you though the normal customer service procedures, and you are asking for an exception. Be sure the mention again that you plan to continue to travel extensively on Delta in 2020.

Also:
  • I took a look at the Elevate Your Status offer page. The prices may be dynamic (e.g. the price for me may be different than for you). As a Silver, my offer was $599 for 1,000 MGM & $799 for 2,500 MGM. I hope you can avoid either cost through a well-deserved exception.

• Agree with the previous posts that timing is critical before EOY and to avoid social media as DL may not want to make the exception too public.

• Your Post #3 on this thread included a screenshot. I requested the Moderator edit that out because it contained Personally Identifiable Information (PII). The great majority of us on this forum want to help, however posts are searchable on google & that much public PII could be harmful in the wrong hands. If you share other emails, I firmly suggest blocking PII & pasting as plain text if you can.
Hope this helps.

Dec 14, 2019
Nothing heard from Ms. Forbes-Roberts. Updated/elevated request:

Dear Ms. Gould,

My apologies to Ms. Forbes-Roberts for escalating this so quickly, but I am hoping for a response before the end of the calendar year. I have reached out, per my email below, to ask for Delta's kindest consideration to my request for 1,005 MQM's.

I am a member of the Navy reserves and am currently deployed. Before departing the US, I flew enough to get very close (48,995 out of 50,000 MQMs) to Gold Medallion status. If not for this deployment, I surely would have achieved Gold status without assistance.

I travel with Delta for work and personal travel, but have yet to achieve Gold Medallion. It would be wonderful if I could have that status to look forward to while traveling with Delta next year.

Thank you for your consideration, and I hope you have a happy holiday season.

LCDR Chris Cannon, USNR
Skymiles #

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 2:14 PM Chris Cannon wrote:
Dear Ms. Forbes-Roberts,

I am a [former active duty] current Navy reservist who is currently deployed to Djibouti, Africa. I fly Delta, nearly exclusively, for my civilian work and personal travel. Prior to being deployed, I flew enough to get within 1005 MQMs of Gold Medallion status, which is about 98% of the way there. If not for my deployment, I would certainly have reached Gold. I would like ask if you would be willing to comp me the final 1005 MQMs to reach status for next year; I have already met the MQD requirement, as well.

I have never before reached Gold Medallion status, and it would certainly be a morale booster if I had that to look forward to for my planned (and Delta booked!) 2020 travel upon my return from overseas.

Thank you very much for your consideration,

Chris Cannon
Skymiles #​

Attachments

Aug 29, 2018
Another possibility depends on how supportive your civilian employer is, but you may want to ask them if they can cover or assist with the cost of the miles to elevate your status.

Reactions: cannoncd
Sep 12, 2015
I'm not surprised that Delta came through for LDCR Cannon. The letter was brilliant! Phrases like "my apologies"; "hoping for..."; "kindest consideration..."; "look forward to traveling with Delta..." That's a masterclass in artful begging. It should be required reading for anyone using this site for guidance.

Good luck to you, LDCR Cannon. And thanks for your service.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
Hey guys,

Success! Delta comp'd me the 1005 miles and I'll be enjoying Gold status next year. Thanks for all the advice!

Chris
Amazing news! My Father and husband are both retired Air Force, Daughter and 2 brothers Marines, Son an Army vet, so we've both given and gained a lot from the service, and one of them is the miles we've also gotten from traveling for duty. I'm glad you were able to get this from Delta!! Very Happy Holidays to you!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm not surprised that Delta came through for LDCR Cannon. The letter was brilliant! Phrases like "my apologies"; "hoping for..."; "kindest consideration..."; "look forward to traveling with Delta..." That's a masterclass in artful begging. It should be required reading for anyone using this site for guidance.

Good luck to you, LDCR Cannon. And thanks for your service.
We DO need a "LOVE" button for posts like this! In Seattle has stated exactly my thoughts. I knew when you first contacted us, Chris, that Delta would be pleased to help ... I was just worried about the timing. A wonderful way to start the new year. When we say "thank you for your service", Chris, it's not just a phrase ... we MEAN IT. I am honored that we could give you the guidance needed.

Reactions: Neil Maley and ADM