Southwest

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 22, 2020
I booked a trip with Southwest to accompany my 92 year old step mother, to visit her daughter and grandchildren in Florida. The trip was scheduled March 26 - March 30. . I paid for 2 tickets : $771.92. We cancelled our reservation on March 13 due to Covid-19, and my step-mother's compromised health. She has Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. I investigated our refunds, and found that the travel funds were issued in each ticketed passenger’s name. I contacted Southwest and requested that that both travel funds be issued in my name since I paid for both tickets. I was denied. I have since written to Southwest, and have been denied. It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that my step mother will ever choose to fly again. I realize the date for the travel fund use has been extended to September, 2022. However, I feel strongly that Southwest should issue the travel funds for both tickets to me in these extenuating circumstances.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Someone else might know better, but I think they're pretty stickler about travel funds going to whoever the ticket was for not who bought them. BUT Southwest is giving people an option. They are currently allowing you to convert the travel funds to Reward Points. And you can buy tickets for others with Reward Points. Southwest is working to build this capability so you can't do this quite yet. Keep checking the website to see when this option goes live https://www.southwest.com/Coronavirus/?clk=CORONAVIRUS_TA&cbid=4430033

I believe you can transfer points to someone if your step mom doesn't want to keep the points for herself.

Apr 10, 2017
Someone else might know better, but I think they're pretty stickler about travel funds going to whoever the ticket was for not who bought them. BUT Southwest is giving people an option. They are currently allowing you to convert the travel funds to Reward Points. And you can buy tickets for others with Reward Points. Southwest is working to build this capability so you can't do this quite yet. Keep checking the website to see when this option goes live https://www.southwest.com/Coronavirus/?clk=CORONAVIRUS_TA&cbid=4430033

I believe you can transfer points to someone if your step mom doesn't want to keep the points for herself.
Good to know.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If the new travel funds plan doesn't work for you, I'd wait until life calms down a bit ... maybe July or August ... and write a concise, polite, appreciative letter to SW asking for an exception to their rule. Submit to Customer Service, then use our Company Contacts to escalate. Wait two weeks between each submission.

Reactions: mmb