Southwest to Stop Overbooking

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Mike Z

Jan 8, 2015
Sadly, this will only raise ticket prices. There is a reason for overbooked flights and it is because people make changes like they do. As Southwest was giving people full credit for their tickets, or at least they were, now they will either start charging change fees or raise ticket prices to compensate for no shows and cancellations.

Out of the millions upon millions of people who fly with them every year and only 15,000 got bumped tells me their model was working pretty damn good. Now the public outcry is going to cost the average consumer more in the long run, and of course they'll blame it on the "greedy business".

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
IMHO, a "no overbooking" policy has more PR and financial value to the airline than actually reducing the number of IDB (involuntary denied boarding, or "invol") passengers. JetBlue does not overbook, but has a pretty high rate of invols caused by adding A321's to their fleet. Among the "big 3", the invol rate caused by overbooking (and not other causes) is surprisingly low. Of course the rate is very high if it happens to you!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
And to think this whole firestorm could have been avoided if the UA gate agent had been empowered to deal with the situation properly in the first place. I know, I sound like a broken record. The horrific PR that resulted from this awful situation costs far more than a few 'agent errors in judgement' that will happen along the way.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Southwest is not one of the big three airlines and flies less flights than Delta, AA, and United.

I think that them having the most overbookings is even worse for them in view of the fact they are smaller.

Reactions: Carolyn

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
Southwest is not one of the big three airlines and flies less flights than Delta, AA, and United.

I think that them having the most overbookings is even worse for them in view of the fact they are smaller.
Untrue. The largest 4 airlines are AA, DL, UA, and Southwest (WN). Here's WN ranking for 2016:

Passengers carried, #3 (UA is 4th).
Number of aircraft, #3 (UA is 4th)
Domestic passengers carried, #1
Average daily flights, #3

WN isn't exactly chump change, though I realize they are off travel agent's radar since they never pay commissions and don't participate in GDS.

Reactions: krisseye and jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Untrue. The largest 4 airlines are AA, DL, UA, and Southwest (WN). Here's WN ranking for 2016:

Passengers carried, #3 (UA is 4th).
Number of aircraft, #3 (UA is 4th)
Domestic passengers carried, #1
Average daily flights, #3

WN isn't exactly chump change, though I realize they are off travel agent's radar since they never pay commissions and don't participate in GDS.
No airlines pay travel agent commissions anymore- that has nothing to do with it.
I actually am going by their presence on LI. They aren't much of an option we book much of because their flights don't go anywhere our clientele want to go unless they take connecting flights in most cases. They fly out of a small airport in LI with very few flights and a few out of LGA . We are very spoiled here because clients want direct flights not connections. They are not a big presence in NY

Aug 29, 2015
I believe one reason Southwest has overbooked in the past was the number of last minute cancellations. A customer could cancel up to 10 minutes before door closing and receive a refund or system credit. Not too long ago, you could cancel after takeoff and get that credit.

I imagine they will start quietly backing up the time a cancellation must be made to avoid having empty seats.

I fly a lot of Southwest flights when I fky, because they are most likely to get me there without changing planes. They keep adding flights to the STL airport. STL is under used, ever since TWA went under.

Reactions: krisseye and VoR61

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
This article explains some of the details.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business...eo-says-company-will-stop-overbooking-flights

Most telling:

"On a 143-seat airplane, we might overbook by one," he said. "I never get complaints from our customers about overbooking. ... I'm not saying there aren't complaints, don't get me wrong. But it's just not an issue the way the company has been managing (it)."

"The company's chief financial officer, Tammy Romo, said the change would have a minimal impact on the company's finances and is already baked into the revenue guidance the company is providing to investors. She said some of the cost savings — presumably from not having to compensate overbooked passengers — would help balance out any lost revenue."

Reactions: jsn55

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I don't think that overbooking is a bad practice. Either the flight is full and someone can't get that flight or it's oversold and there is a slight chance that someone won't get that flight. Surely the chances of getting the flight are better if airlines oversell?

Reactions: John Galbraith

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
I actually am going by their presence on LI. They aren't much of an option we book much of because their flights don't go anywhere our clientele
Understood, but was putting fact to your assertion that "Southwest is not one of the big three airlines and flies less flights than Delta, AA, and United". My mistake on commissions (I knew that and forgot), but Southwest does create extra work for TA's since they don't participate in GDS.