Sixt car rental Scam

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 22, 2016
I believe I was victim to a scam by Sixt rental car office in Reykjavik. I rented a car for two weeks on a road trip and upon return they claimed that this loose piece of plastic that was sort of underneath and behind the bumper was loose and therefore cost 570 dollars to fix. It was a part of the car I never in a million years would have thought to check before renting and even when they pointed it out I couldn't tell that it was even damaged. I also didn't have any incidents on the road that would have caused it. I refused to sign the paperwork admitting guilt and assumed they had dropped it. Then two months later they charged me. Just past the amount of time that my credit card insurance would have covered it (I think this was on purpose so they wouldn't have to deal with the insurance company). I'm at a total loss at what to do an I feel like they totally scammed me. Any help/advice would be so appreciated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't know if you checked the top of the car rental forum but we have a whole thread on how to fight this.

First, dispute the charge with your credit card company. You have 45-60 days from when you are charged

Then follow the directions in this thread to a T

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

Let us know the outcome when you have completed the writing chain.

This is happening so frequently we have instructions on what to do. You might also want to read some of the posts on the car rental forum to see how successful our readers are when they follow the info we give. Almost every claim is dropped.

Sep 10, 2016
We felt scammed by Sixt Reykjavik in May '15 over a small starburst in the windshield of our rented SUV that the representative found only by shining a flashlight from inside the vehicle. She charged us 750 euro for windshield replacement, which we paid, since we had a flight to catch. We do inspect rental cars carefully when we pick them up and take dated photos of anything that looks like damage, but never would we have thought to use a flashlight. We wonder if those renting that SUV before or after us were dinged for the same starburst!

Luckily, we were reimbursed by VISA after submitting a claim when we returned from our European travels 3 weeks later.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It is imperative you take photos of the entire car before pickup, and when you return. You need to protect yourself showing the car looked exactly the same.

If you find damage at pick up, either force them to mark it on your paperwork or ask for another car.

Oct 22, 2016
Thank you I will request these docs. Is there anything specific I should tell my credit card company? I've already disputed the charge

I don't know if you checked the top of the car rental forum but we have a whole thread on how to fight this.

First, dispute the charge with your credit card company. You have 45-60 days from when you are charged

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

This is happening so frequently we have instructions on what to do. You might also want to read some of the posts on the car rental forum to see how successful our readers are when they follow the info we give. Almost every claim is dropped.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you I will request these docs. Is there anything specific I should tell my credit card company? I've already disputed the charge
No, your cc company doesn't need to know you are working the other end. We just had another claim dropped by someone else that wrote in. Our recommendations do work when you follow them.

Reactions: Mike888
Oct 22, 2016
No, your cc company doesn't need to know you are working the other end. We just had another claim dropped by someone else that wrote in. Our recommendations do work when you follow them.
got it. Thank you!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We felt scammed by Sixt Reykjavik in May '15 over a small starburst in the windshield of our rented SUV that the representative found only by shining a flashlight from inside the vehicle. She charged us 750 euro for windshield replacement, which we paid, since we had a flight to catch. We do inspect rental cars carefully when we pick them up and take dated photos of anything that looks like damage, but never would we have thought to use a flashlight. We wonder if those renting that SUV before or after us were dinged for the same starburst!

Luckily, we were reimbursed by VISA after submitting a claim when we returned from our European travels 3 weeks later.
I don't understand. What made the rep shine a flashlight through the windshield? And why would you pay E750 on the spot, without documentation on the amount of the repair? Very glad to hear that your CC insurance took care of it, but I'm just curious about how it happened.

Oct 22, 2016

Oct 22, 2016
Ok I emailed them asking for said documents and they've emailed me back twice just sending me the same things they've already sent. The photos they sent me don't even show any damage, just a dirty bumper. I saw on the other thread that I can contact there executives but the names on that list are in florida. Is that applicable if the rental was in Reykjavik?

Oct 22, 2016
Ok I followed those instructions asking for said documents. After sending me less than half of what I asked for I replied asking for the rest and they didn't respond. I followed up a couple times with no response. I also disputed the charge with my credit card company (capital one). I didn't hear back for months so I assumed it was resolved. Then today I checked my statement and they charged me for the damage that I had disputed.

Any advice on where to go from here? I feel totally scammed and the fact that the capital one didn't even really look into it just pisses me off even more.

Feb 9, 2016
Ok I followed those instructions asking for said documents. After sending me less than half of what I asked for I replied asking for the rest and they didn't respond. I followed up a couple times with no response. I also disputed the charge with my credit card company (capital one). I didn't hear back for months so I assumed it was resolved. Then today I checked my statement and they charged me for the damage that I had disputed.

Any advice on where to go from here? I feel totally scammed and the fact that the capital one didn't even really look into it just pisses me off even more.
here is what I would do in order

1) You should then ask your credit card company why they allowed a charge to go thru in absentia, when you were not present to authorize the charge. Tell them you did not sign for that charge, you did not authorize that charge, the charge is FRAUD and you want them to remove it immediately.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/understanding-consent-charge-card-1585.php

2) if they balk, you need to ask why the dispute was not made in your favor. Once they reply you need to remind them that you never authorized the rental company to charge you in absentia.
3) Let the credit card company know that you are working with the car rental company directly to resolve this matter and you have yet to receive the documentation you have asked for.
4) Remind the credit card company that the contract you signed with the car rental company has an arbitration clause and you plan on exercising that, instead of allowing the rental car company to to automatically declare that you are responsible for the damage.

Again, ask for the charges to be removed citing fraud

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you have written all the way up to the CEO, gather all your email copies and go back to the top of our pages to the help tab. Fill it out again and tell them that you wrote all the way up to the CEO and had no reply. You will need to supply them
with every email you sent and any response you received if any. The writers will see if they have enough to go to the company.

And call your credit card company and dispute the charge.

R

Realitoes

here is what I would do in order

1) You should then ask your credit card company why they allowed a charge to go thru in absentia, when you were not present to authorize the charge. Tell them you did not sign for that charge, you did not authorize that charge, the charge is FRAUD and you want them to remove it immediately.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/understanding-consent-charge-card-1585.php

2) if they balk, you need to ask why the dispute was not made in your favor. Once they reply you need to remind them that you never authorized the rental company to charge you in absentia.
It is not fraud or unauthorized if they signed the rental contract stating that charges for any damages would be charged to the credit card. Once the merchant provides proof that the charge was authorized, the the credit card company cannot rightly dismiss the charge.

3) Let the credit card company know that you are working with the car rental company directly to resolve this matter and you have yet to receive the documentation you have asked for.
4) Remind the credit card company that the contract you signed with the car rental company has an arbitration clause and you plan on exercising that, instead of allowing the rental car company to to automatically declare that you are responsible for the damage.

Again, ask for the charges to be removed citing fraud
Unfortunately, this all should have been done before attempting to dispute the charge. There is no incentive now for Sixt to dismiss the charges.

R

Realitoes

It is fraud if there was no true damage to the car or if the damage was done by someone else as we have seen over and over on these forums.
You would need to provide proof of that when disputing the charges. I don't see any in this case.

The LW even states he didn't see the damage before accepting the car, but the damage was there when he returned it. Even if someone else damaged it while it is in their possession, they are still liable for it (this is why you have insurance). It is possible that the damage was there before he rented and he just didn't notice it, but it is also possible the damage happen during the rental. He just noted he refused to take any responsibility for it at turn in.

A lesson here is to check the vehicle over carefully, documenting it with photos and/or video before leaving the rental lot.