SiXT car damage claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 27, 2017
Hi, I have recently received correspondence from SiXT Munich (airport) in relation to a car rental from February 17. I upgraded car (concious of icy roads) and then also took full insurance with 0 excess options for fear of an accident. The driving conditions were terrible from Munich to our destination Thiersee in Austria and we (myself and my son) were crawling along. On my way to our Austrian destination I skidded on a bad bend on the road due to snow on the road. I was going maybe 30KM max due to nerves. I hit a snowbank on the passenger side and after 15 mins of anxiety about my son, after calming down, and thinking there was no damage I continued on. I tried to call SiXT at the time but couldn't get through. The next morning there was a crack in the fairing on the car. Three days later on return, I informed the lady at the counter of the issue and where the damage occurred and how. She just took the keys and said I was covered. Anyways cut to June 17 and I now have a bill for over €3500 for damages as I hadn't submitted a damage report. I requested documents so I could fill them in but apparently, there is a cut-off for filing an incident report. I'm a nervous wreck about this as I don't have the money to pay. All I want to do is file the report and come to some sort of amicable arrangement. I took insurance to avoid a mess like this... Can someone please help me?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yup, you can stop worrying, we can guide you to a good solution. Read our 'how-tos' in the Rental Car Forums. You will not be denying the damage claim, but you will be denying their claim that you didn't submit a timely report. You DID submit a timely report verbally, and you were dismissed because you had full insurance coverage. Rental car companies are on a rampage to gouge their customers. Companies all over the world, from your neighborhood rental lot to the major name brands. We have the tools for you so you are not subjected to this kind of scammy behaviour.

Sep 19, 2015
Krokman I am relieved that you were not injured while driving in a snow storm.

What I do not understand is how the company is blaming you for not filling out a report. Did the employee even mention the report to you or did they just take the keys? The only way you could be at fault is if you refused to fill out the form at the return center.

I wonder if this was a new employee who did not understand the paperwork; however you should not be punished for that.

Reactions: Krokman
Feb 9, 2016
if you still have your contract and the insurance agreement, have you read it all?

There is always the possibility that the contract says NOTHING bout filing/reporting within a specific amount of days and/or it does mention this clause but you are still within the accepted time frame.

First things first, make sure the rental company is being legit with you about being able to file a claim.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts for Sixt on our Company contact page.
Go back at them and tell them you told the clerk about it when you returned it and she did not give you any paperwork to complete or tell you a report needed to be completed and that you bought the insurance and are not going to be paying them anything for the negligence by their clerk.

What does your copy of the contract say about accidents?

This is one our writers should look at.

Reactions: Krokman
Feb 9, 2016
We have company contacts for Sixt on our Company contact page.
Go back at them and tell them you told the clerk about it when you returned it and she did not give you any paperwork to complete or tell you a report needed to be completed and that you bought the insurance and are not going to be paying them anything for the negligence by their clerk.

What does your copy of the contract say about accidents?

This is one our writers should look at.
in fact, when you write to them, state that at XYZ time while standing at the counter, you fully disclosed to the agent that there was PDQ damage. The agents reply was " <insert reply here> " (recollect that reply to the best of your knowledge. the approximate time can be discerned by distracting the appropriate amount of time from your final bill date/timestamp)

Tell them - why would I not fully disclose damage to the agent? I had elected insurance, and was covered, there is no reason for me to omit the information.

then ask for the tape from the camera that they absolutely have, that recorded the activities of both you and she AS you were telling her of the damage. Tell them you would like to review the tape so you can identify for them the moment you mentioned the situation.

Jul 27, 2017
Requested a damage report form from Sixt Munich declaring that I had nothing to hide and informed staff of such. They sent it back and I filled it in in detail and forwarded it.

Just received correspondence saying "thank you very much for your information and the time you have invested. After reviewing all given information we would like to inform you that we waive the damage compensation. We are looking forward to welcoming you again as our satisfied client."

Sep 19, 2015
I am happy that they saw the light; you purchased the extra insurance and were honest with what happened. Glad that you can put this behind you.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Excellent! Another hard-core rental car issue dismissed. How I wish that everyone who gets hit with this kind of baloney would post on this forum and maybe we could get the companies to back off.