Should I continue to fly?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 8, 2018
Hello everyone! My family and I have been planning to see extended family in Florida since last year and made the purchase for the flights in February before we fully understood how much COVID-19 will have this ginormous impact that it does now.

AA and another airline (maybe more than 2 that I'm aware of) have restored seating capacity to 100% as of July 1. I am wondering, should I continue this trip? It will be 2 adults and 2 children going. We are leaving July 20. All of us are in good health and will of course cancel or reschedule if any one of us are feeling ill.

I am really trying to not let fear get the best of me and I am looking to hearing your opinions.

Thank you for reading!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hello everyone! My family and I have been planning to see extended family in Florida since last year and made the purchase for the flights in February before we fully understood how much COVID-19 will have this ginormous impact that it does now.

AA and another airline (maybe more than 2 that I'm aware of) have restored seating capacity to 100% as of July 1. I am wondering, should I continue this trip? It will be 2 adults and 2 children going. We are leaving July 20. All of us are in good health and will of course cancel or reschedule if any one of us are feeling ill.

I am really trying to not let fear get the best of me and I am looking to hearing your opinions.

Thank you for reading!
Going to FL by plane (full or empty), train, car, boat, bicycle, or horse is not a well-advised destination. FL has become the epicenter of the pandemic in the US. The governor has refused to follow safe and reasonable guidelines. Unless you have a compelling reason to go to FL (and I can not think of one), STAY HOME! New England has banned people from FL from traveling to NE. The fact that you and your children are healthy now should not reassure you it is safe to travel.
Use Zoom or another teleconference.

Infection rates in FL are going up exponentially and not likely to get better in 2 weeks.

The leading doctors in the US say "Do not fly" (anywhere much less FL).

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I can only give you an idea of what I would do. I'm healthy and have a strong immune system. I would feel safe at the airport, on the plane, in the rental car and with my family. But I wouldn't fly across the country in coach wearing a mask with a packaged protein bar and warm water. I see no point in spending money if it's not going to be enjoyable. OTOH, if I were going to see family, then the plane ride would be acceptable. What does your family think?

Jan 7, 2015
Going to FL by plane (full or empty), train, car, boat, bicycle, or horse is not a well-advised destination. FL has become the epicenter of the pandemic in the US. The governor has refused to follow safe and reasonable guidelines. Unless you have a compelling reason to go to FL (and I can not think of one), STAY HOME! New England has banned people from FL from traveling to NE. The fact that you and your children are healthy now should not reassure you it is safe to travel.
Use Zoom or another teleconference.

Infection rates in FL are going up exponentially and not likely to get better in 2 weeks.

The leading doctors in the US say "Do not fly" (anywhere much less FL).
Curious....Where did you see that New England has "banned people from Florida?" From what I'm reading, people from certain states must quarantine when entering certain other states.

Reactions: jsn55

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I second @Neil Maley comment...only you can decide what is best for you. Risk vs reward is based on your own values as well as how well are you able to prepare for the trip to keep exposure at a minimum. Once in Florida, are you planning on spending time in public places or staying put in a private home with limited contact with people? I happen to live in a town with one of the highest per capita rates of positive cases reported early on but never considered leaving. We were able to control our environment enough to feel safe enough despite the high infection rate.

Reactions: jsn55 and FrankL183

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Curious....Where did you see that New England has "banned people from Florida?" From what I'm reading, people from certain states must quarantine when entering certain other states.

Jan 7, 2015
Thank you. Like I thought, travellers from Florida (and other states as well) have to quarantine for 14 days. They are not "banned."

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina
Aug 29, 2018
I am wondering, should I continue this trip?
I echo that it is really up to you to decide.

But as for me, my answer would be no. (I might consider Delta or Southwest, and others, who are attempting to maintain some social distancing.)

Apr 3, 2016
But remember, if you live in an area that still has quarantine for Florida, you will need to quarantine all of you for 14 days when you get home. Are you willing/prepared to do that (both mentally and financially)?

Reactions: jsn55 and Pixie Pie

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thank you. Like I thought, travellers from Florida (and other states as well) have to quarantine for 14 days. They are not "banned."
HI instituted a 14-day mandatory quarantine (still in effect through July) for mainland travelers. Volume went from 30,000 pax/day to 300/day.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
HI instituted a 14-day mandatory quarantine (still in effect through July) for mainland travelers. Volume went from 30,000 pax/day to 300/day.
And the difference is they enforced it. Most of these states do not have the ability to actually send someone to each address and check to see if the person is actually at the address they report they are staying at.

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
It is really easy to enter into a state without flying, using one major highway, etc. so tracking is much more challenging for mainland states. Since Hawaii can only be accessed via flights or boats, it is much easier to track who enters their state and track accordingly. A person lands at the airport and either shows proof of residency or hotel reservation. All hotels are tracking their guests so that if they leave their room, they are reported. The most challenging scenario is those that rent a home where there isn't someone who is onsite managing the renter's whereabouts. That is where cell tracking can be helpful.

Reactions: Neil Maley

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii

FL just equaled the highest number of daily cases in NY in mid-April. The FL case trajectory is very worrisome.
Opt for flight vouchers and wait to reschedule.

Reactions: California
Sep 27, 2018

Thank you for reading!
Obviously no one can assess the risk except you, but if I was in the same situation here's what I would weigh: What if one of your family got sick while in FL? What would be the cost of staying a couple of weeks, possibly needing two hotel rooms, one for the sick and one for the healthy? What happens if one of the kids gets sick and then the adult taking care of the child gets sick? Can relatives assist or would you be on your own? If the sick person has to go into the hospital will you have "out of network costs"? Beyond money, consider the stress your family would be under, even if everyone stays healthy.

Feb 23, 2018
I live in Florida and work for the dept of health, I would not advise visiting. The number of cases have been drastically increasing and the governor does not want to impose mandatory restrictions to fight the virus. Being young and healthy is not going to help you avoid covid, the average age of new cases here is 34.