Should I cancel my travel insurance on trip cancelled?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 24, 2020
If I am cancelling my trip, for which I have Travel Insurance, is there any benefit to cancelling my Insurance before the planned travel date? Is there any chance of a rebate?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Is it cancelable? Most have a certain number of days you can cancel it once you purchase it. Is this on a cruise or land trip? Did you buy the insurance from a third party? You need to give us more information.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
You could always ask for a credit to be used for a future policy.

Reactions: jsn55
Jan 24, 2020
The insurance is for a land trip (flying to and training/driving around France) from Generali Global Assurance. We are beyond the standard 10 day review for the policy. A month ago, I was able to "modify" the policy to reduce the number of days I needed for Car Rental Damage coverage (reduced the driving days as I added a train trip to my itinerary)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The insurance is for a land trip (flying to and training/driving around France) from Generali Global Assurance. We are beyond the standard 10 day review for the policy. A month ago, I was able to "modify" the policy to reduce the number of days I needed for Car Rental Damage coverage (reduced the driving days as I added a train trip to my itinerary)
Normally there'd be no point in cancelling as there would be no refund. However, with what's going on right now, I think it's worth a try. Patina has very good advice ... see if the insurance company will allow you to use all or part of the coverage on a future trip. Don't call; the phone agents will just say no. Compose a concise, polite letter asking them to do this for you. Send it to customer service, then use our Company Contacts to escalate if needed. It's certainly worth a try. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Just cancelled a family members trip to Ireland. The Travel Insurance was moved from this next week to the exact same week in 2021. My insurance agent said it was important to move that insurance Before the date of the trip we had cancelled.
Yep: many travel insurance providers are graciously granting credits for policies covering a cancelled trip that customers can use to purchase another policy for a future trip.

Jan 24, 2020
Normally there'd be no point in cancelling as there would be no refund. However, with what's going on right now, I think it's worth a try. Patina has very good advice ... see if the insurance company will allow you to use all or part of the coverage on a future trip. Don't call; the phone agents will just say no. Compose a concise, polite letter asking them to do this for you. Send it to customer service, then use our Company Contacts to escalate if needed. It's certainly worth a try. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.
Great advice. I just sent a request to Generali Global Assistance, and will let you know how it turned out. Thanks Again.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Jan 24, 2020
Great advice. I just sent a request to Generali Global Assistance, and will let you know how it turned out. Thanks Again.
I promptly got a very positive response from the CEO of Generali the"we are more than happy to apply your current travel insurance to a future trip." and will "make the switch simple and easy. "