Sedgwick Damage Claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 5, 2019
I have read through a few posts here about setting up a paper trail, but just wanted to make sure I was going about things properly.

So I rented a Budget Truck and discovered that one of the tires was low, I told the guy and he said just pull it up next store to put air in it at the tire show next door (30 feet from the truck rental". So i take pictures of the low tire and the guy at the tire place tells me there is a nail in it, I turn around the budget truck place is closed and the guy is pulling out of the parking lot. Anyways I call the 1800 number tell them, what happened they said don't worry well send someone to your house to fix it tonight. I asked if there was a charge and they said no. Flash forward a weeks later, I get a letter in the mail from Sedgwick claiming "vehicle damages" saying I owe $440 and attached is all the good year bills and my rental agreement. I assume saying that I am being charged for the flat tire. I emailed sedgwick asking what the claim was for. Again I have pictured of the low tire. Should I continue emailing with Sedgwick or email a complaint/dispute with budget?

Thanks

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
No you need to go directly to Budget. The only way these get dropped is when an executive from the car rental company gets involved.

Please follow the instructions in this:
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.9703/

You won’t hey anywhere dealing with Sedgwick- they make money going after you for payment so they don’t have any incentive to drop an unwarranted charge.

Reactions: VoR61
Aug 5, 2019
I received a few emails so far. One directed me to email the budget truck email instead of the car email. Now they've sent me an email telling me they can't do anything and to contact the claims department. And they gave me a 1800 number. I emailed back asking for an email address instead. No reply. I googled the claims number and maybe found an email

[email protected]

Does anyone know if this is the correct email? Thanks

No you need to go directly to Budget. The only way these get dropped is when an executive from the car rental company gets involved.

Please follow the instructions in this:
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.9703/

You won’t hey anywhere dealing with Sedgwick- they make money going after you for payment so they don’t have any incentive to drop an unwarranted charge.

Mar 18, 2019
If you've already tried the regular customer service and they are not providing the resolution you need, you should move on to the executive contacts. See here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/avis-budget/

Make sure you read thoroughly both the link that Neil sent you and also the link inside that page: https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Start at the Avis Budget primary contact and give them a week to respond. Then move on to the next contact. Don't attach anything to the e-mails unless specifically requested by the contact, as that could get them marked as spam.

Aug 5, 2019
If you've already tried the regular customer service and they are not providing the resolution you need, you should move on to the executive contacts. See here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/avis-budget/

Make sure you read thoroughly both the link that Neil sent you and also the link inside that page: https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Start at the Avis Budget primary contact and give them a week to respond. Then move on to the next contact. Don't attach anything to the e-mails unless specifically requested by the contact, as that could get them marked as spam.

Okay, they have called twice, Once to say they are investigating my claim, and the second time to say that " We regret to inform you that the vehicle had a 10 point inspection that morning and I am responsible for the damages. This was the response from the first email to the executives. I have pictures showing the tire was low when i picked it up. Do i email the next contact? Or call back the number?

Thanks

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Okay, they have called twice, Once to say they are investigating my claim, and the second time to say that " We regret to inform you that the vehicle had a 10 point inspection that morning and I am responsible for the damages. This was the response from the first email to the executives. I have pictures showing the tire was low when i picked it up. Do i email the next contact? Or call back the number?

Thanks
Go to next exec. STOP calling.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes, move to the next executive. If the light was on when you picked it up (and I am glad you have the picture as it should be time stamped of the time you took it) then whatever ten point inspection they did never looked at the dashboard. When you write, take the time and date from the picture and tell them "I took this picture at xx:xx on xx/xx the day I picked up the car and the light was on".

Aug 5, 2019
Yes, move to the next executive. If the light was on when you picked it up (and I am glad you have the picture as it should be time stamped of the time you took it) then whatever ten point inspection they did never looked at the dashboard. When you write, take the time and date from the picture and tell them "I took this picture at xx:xx on xx/xx the day I picked up the car and the light was on".
I sent another email to the next in line, and the same number called me a few hours later. they just keep calling, no email response. They say they're from the claims center, and call from a 918-624-4249.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
I sent another email to the next in line, and the same number called me a few hours later. they just keep calling, no email response. They say they're from the claims center, and call from a 918-624-4249.
There is no reason not to take their calls or to call them back. Contracts and disputes vastly larger than this are routinely discussed and negotiated in phone calls.

You should keep notes of the time of the call and the name of the person you spoke with. And, if anything is agreed upon, you should request that they send it to you in writing. Until you have it in writing, you can't prove that it was agreed on (which I assume is the origin of the "no calls"mantra).

By refusing calls, you will diminish the effectiveness of escalating to the next exec. Remember, these execs are just going to delegate the email to staff and ask for a status. It's very easy for the staff person to respond that they have attempted to contact you but that you have refused to accept or return calls.

Aug 5, 2019
They just called me about the budget truck after I emailed the CEO. They said that they will settle for half. $219.65 They said because it's two different departments(claims and executive) that I would have to pay the full to claims then contact executive to refund the half back. What do you think?

I will definitely get it in writing before anything, but I have emailed to top person on the list.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I would be inclined to reject their offer for the following reasons:
  • You would be paying for damage you did not cause
  • This will put you back into the mode of seeking reimbursement (pay then ask for money back)
  • It also seems odd. An executive should be able to direct subordinates to reduce the charge. I am suspicious.
and specifically . . .
  • The tire was already low at the time of the rental (you have pictures)
  • You are instructed to drive 30 feet (only) to a tire shop next door, where they find a nail. It is more likely that it was already there.
  • The representative at the 800 number stated that they send someone to your house to fix it tonight at no charge
Alternatively, you might consider accepting if they are willing to accept half to settle (ie., no money back) . . .

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with VoR. You didn’t damage it and shouldn’t be responsible for any of it. But it’s up to you. If it were me, I’d write back to the CEO thanking him for getting involved, telling him the solution they offered you and that I didn’t feel it was acceptable because you did not damage the tire- the nail was in it and the agent was aware of it and that I’d like the entire case dropped.