Sedgewick Call

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 18, 2020
I just received a call from Sedgwick and they said they have an 85k claim from Avis rental car for the car I rented in November 2019 that I returned with minimal damage and the car still worked fine as I was able to still drive it. I asked the agent if she had the accident/incident report that I had in my possession and she said she didn't have it. She wanted me to contact the insurance company to file a claim. I told her that according to the rental agreements disclaimer, it states that I "authorize" them to make the claims to the insurance company themselves instead of me filing the claim. She said that she isn't able to and that I have to do it. So, I took her name and number and decided to do a little research before I did anything. I checked the car's BB value and it's valued at 23K so I am really concerned as how they arrived at 85K. I already sent an email to Avis/Budget customer service and also the contact email that was listed on the accident/incident report and asked them for all the paperwork on the claim that totaled 85k. Just wondering if anybody had advice for me moving forward because I think 85K is an outrages number to pay for very minimal damage. Thanks for reading.

May 18, 2020
I rented a Dodge Journey AWD for our trip to Big Bear Ca. Our time at the Cabin was up so we had to leave while there were driving restrictions. In order to get out of Big Bear we needed an AWD and also snow chains on tires. No one could leave without it. The damage consisted of scrapes to the left rear fender. Also, there was a protective plastic above the same tire well that got shaved off by the chain hitting hit. It's also how the scrapes happened to the fender. As soon as we came down the mountain we took the chains off and the car drove just fine. I returned the car the next day and, filed an incident report with the agent who I returned the car to and flew home. According to the agreement, there is a disclaimer stating that the company makes the claim to the insurance company so that is why I never made the claim myself. Also, I read the whole agreement and it doesn't mention anything about not being able to use snow chains, not even in small or bold print. So, in conclusion, we had no choice but to use the chains and I am positive that rental cars are not exempt from R1restrictions during a snow storm. I just don't see how that minimal damage would cost 85K when the BB value of the car is only 23k. Plus, I'm wondering why it took them 7 months to contact me about this matter. I'm miffed at the least and completely shocked at most. Just looking for some kind of guidance and advice if any,

Thank you.

May 18, 2020
What kind of car did you rent that cost $85,000? And what is minimal damage in your eyes? Did you have an accident?

Did you buy the car rentals insurance?
Also, I forgot to add that I did purchase a Travel Guard collision damage insurance with Expedia who I booked the car with.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you didn’t purchase the car rental company insurance, they are correct- you have to file the claim with the insurance you bought. They only will file on your behalf if you buy their insurance. And you are responsible for all damage to the vehicle when it’s in your possession.

We have a process to fight these claims but you’ll have to modify it because you did damage the car but you want a fair assessment.

Write them and tell them you need a breakdown of the damages that brought them to an $85,000 damage claim.

And file a claim immediately with the insurance you bought.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Having waited for 7 mos you may get resistance from Travel Guard. You needed to notify Travel Guard, which you purchased not though Avis, immediately.
What were the policy terms/limits on the Travel Guard policy? Generally, these policies require timely notification.

If you have your own auto insurance you should notify that company ASAP as well. Your own insurance company deals with rental car agencies/Sedgwick on a regular basis and can cut through some of the obstructions that Sedgwick will throw in your way.

May 18, 2020
85k is several times the value of the car. It has to be a typo. Maybe they meant 8.5?
I called Sedgwick and spoke to another agent and she said that was a mistake and that the total was $850.00. I had the first agent repeat the quote and she insisted it was 85k. I will definitely speak to some higher ups in the company so that agent can get more training.

May 18, 2020
Having waited for 7 mos you may get resistance from Travel Guard. You needed to notify Travel Guard, which you purchased not though Avis, immediately.
What were the policy terms/limits on the Travel Guard policy? Generally, these policies require timely notification.

If you have your own auto insurance you should notify that company ASAP as well. Your own insurance company deals with rental car agencies/Sedgwick on a regular basis and can cut through some of the obstructions that Sedgwick will throw in your way.
Yes, agreed. I made the claim nonetheless and will wait to see what happens. It turns out that the first agent quoted me wrong, the correct claim is $850.00. I'm just relieved I got the right quote. In the end, there was no other choice but to use the chains for the safety of my family. If the insurance company denies it I'll just pay the cost. I'm just thankful it's not 85k and that we got out of Big Bear safely. Thanks for the advice, it's truly appreciated!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Yes, agreed. I made the claim nonetheless and will wait to see what happens. It turns out that the first agent quoted me wrong, the correct claim is $850.00. I'm just relieved I got the right quote. In the end, there was no other choice but to use the chains for the safety of my family. If the insurance company denies it I'll just pay the cost. I'm just thankful it's not 85k and that we got out of Big Bear safely. Thanks for the advice, it's truly appreciated!
$850 is a reasonable/acceptable amount given your description of the damages. Hopefully Travel Guard will pay it.

Reactions: Pixie Pie

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I called Sedgwick and spoke to another agent and she said that was a mistake and that the total was $850.00. I had the first agent repeat the quote and she insisted it was 85k. I will definitely speak to some higher ups in the company so that agent can get more training.
You can't make this stuff up! I'm not sure this agent can be retrained. You expect even a new hire to come in with some idea of what a given vehicle is worth. I can only imagine how relieved you must be.