Run around for over a year

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 2, 2020
I have been with Expedia over a year and I began booking my hotel stays thru them because of the points you can earn that can add up to a discount or even a free nights stay. Which at the time we were between homes so we were in a hotel for awhile to the point we accumulated over 50 thousand point equating to over $400 in cash to use for reservation for either a discount or possible complete cost covered. At the time I also had a business email and a personal email and my daughter would often book room thru email. Apparently for whatever reason this apparently raised some eyebrows and next thing I knew I had lost the ability to use my point. In contacting Expedia they requested proof of identity and to show email(s) were mine and that was done by ulme sending them emails from all my emails to them, had to send my i.d my daughter's i.d (edited by moderator to remove name) is her name and still we kept getting the run-around. Everytime we called we were told our account was being escalated to the team that could assist me and that they would contact me in 3 hours that phone never occured for no that that was only response I'd get from Expedia. I often tried to book a room over the past year and a half using my points only to get an error message stating that an Error occured. My issue with this entire situation is that before the points are even applied to the account they are verified initially the points are pending but once the hotel stay is verified the points will then post. Even in December 2018 they were offering me a $100 credit here or a $50 credit there be ause the were making errors in booking room for me when I would call and they would try to do reservation on their end this occured so many times they eventually told me only I could book a room if I wanted to use my points that they could only book a reservation without point for the inconvenience the "credits" were offered and in no way affected my rightfully earned points that they personally verified. We still could use the points as we are still residing in a hotel (Extended Stày America Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim California) and are finally wrapping things up to move into a place in the upcoming months and any way to save a few bucks should be available to me but still after all this time I still get the error message and the run-around about someone calling only now they give different lengths sometimes they say someone will contact me within an hour sometimes three hours sometimes within 24 hours and regardless of whatever timeframe they give me that phone call NEVER occurs. I feel they have bad business practices and have forgotten the golden rule that most companies go by and that is to either accommodate the customer or truly be invested in working thru whatever issue the customer may have being in the hospitality field the customer should be a top priority and it's not a good look when you experience something as I have and doing research over the past year and a half I've learned and connected with several customers who have had the same situation as mine happen to them. They need to be held accountable for their unethical business practices.

Edited by moderator to remove daughters name for her internet safety.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The terms state points are not accrued until after your stay has been verified. This is exactly what the program says- they are posted as pending until the stay has been verified. If the stay was canceied, the points will be removed which is why they are pending until the stay is verified.

Here are the terms. You can file for arbitration if you disagree with the Expedia findings-information on how to do this can be found in their terms.

Skippy

May 30, 2019
There is a lot in the OP's (Original Poster's) post, and it is hard to dissect. I think the core issue is not getting reward points.

The best I can figure out is that there was some confusion between the OP's personal and business account which raised red flags at Expedia. The OP tried calling several times but never got the resolution desired.

The company doesn't follow a Golden Rule. It follows company policies and it's Terms & Conditions, which include:
Expedia reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Expedia Rewards Member it finds to be tampering with the operation of the Program or to be acting in violation of these Terms & Conditions or in a fraudulent or deceptive manner.
(I'm not suggesting the OP did anything fraudulent. I'm suggesting that the daughter's use of the account may have led to the appearance of the OP acting in violation of Expedia Rewards T&C, and Expedia therefore took action at its sole discretion based on perceived violations.)

Perhaps before going into arbitration, the OP should write letters or emails to the executives to self-advocate? The correspondence should be clear, concise, and specific without going into detail or venting. In other words, don't call them unethical when requesting points for actual stays. List the stays, explain the confusion with multiple accounts, and politely request resolution.

Jul 2, 2020
I apologize if it was a bit unclear as to what I was trying to post. I do have my points they are posted in my Expedia account the issue is that I'm unable to use them. If I try to apply them the any how tell reservation or car rental an error message appears and doesn't allow me to use my points so they are essentially just sitting in my account. I thought I posted a screenshot showing my points posted and the cash value of the points I have as of 7/02/20. Someone suggested I try arbitration how do I do that? I have reached out to executives and their telephone staff.

Note- attachment deleted by moderator- it contained personal information that shouldn’t be posted online.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I apologize if it was a bit unclear as to what I was trying to post. I do have my points they are posted in my Expedia account the issue is that I'm unable to use them. If I try to apply them the any how tell reservation or car rental an error message appears and doesn't allow me to use my points so they are essentially just sitting in my account. I thought I posted a screenshot showing my points posted and the cash value of the points I have as of 7/02/20. Someone suggested I try arbitration how do I do that? I have reached out to executives and their telephone staff.
That’s not at all what we got from your original post, thank you for clarifying.

What you should do is use our company contacts for Expedia in writing to clarify why you are unable to use the points.

Here are the contacts (click on the red text)

Here is how to write- read this carefully and follow the guidelines on how to write- one executive at a time leaving a week in between each email.

Reactions: Skippy
Jul 2, 2020
I thought I clearly stated Everytime I tried to reserve a car or hotel etc using my points an error message always popped up. I was trying to give a condensed version as to how this situation reached the status as to where we are now. Its frustrating that all I can do is stare at points valued at a little over $400 that I earned lawfully and yet not be allowed to use them it's almost to me like being robbed of $400. I just stated first impressions speak volumes when your dealing with anything for the first time rather it be a business or when meeting someone and a number of numerous other situations. Thank you for your advice on how to move forward in a more "professional" manner and the links are extremely helpful.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is frustrating. I would suggest that you just make a list of the facts, all the facts, leaving out everything else. Tell them exactly what you want. Your posts are very hard to follow, and the details are very important. If an executive reads your letter and doesn't grasp what happened, it will get set aside. If you lay it all out chronologically, someone can read it and take action to release your points. Sometimes it helps if you ask someone to review your list and tell you what happened. Then you know that you have it down right. It may be difficult to get any action at all, but if someone reads your letter and understands how simple your request is, s/he just might do it immediately. Good luck, and please let us know what transpires.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I thought I clearly stated Everytime I tried to reserve a car or hotel etc using my points an error message always popped up. I was trying to give a condensed version as to how this situation reached the status as to where we are now. Its frustrating that all I can do is stare at points valued at a little over $400 that I earned lawfully and yet not be allowed to use them it's almost to me like being robbed of $400. I just stated first impressions speak volumes when your dealing with anything for the first time rather it be a business or when meeting someone and a number of numerous other situations. Thank you for your advice on how to move forward in a more "professional" manner and the links are extremely helpful.
What is clear to you because you know the issues is not clear to others reading your post. You need a short bullet point list, not a long narrative without paragraphs. You need to list the issue in one short bullet sentence and what resolution you are seeking in another. Leave out all extraneous material.

Sep 27, 2018
I would find the Terms of Use for this program and read it. Most likely it contains language that the account is for the user only and that the user must be on the reservation and be the person checking in to the hotel. If your daughter used your account for stays that did not include you, that would be a violation of the rules. Some hotel programs are more lenient on this use than others, sometimes even within the same chain.

Reactions: Nancy and jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would find the Terms of Use for this program and read it. Most likely it contains language that the account is for the user only and that the user must be on the reservation and be the person checking in to the hotel. If your daughter used your account for stays that did not include you, that would be a violation of the rules. Some hotel programs are more lenient on this use than others, sometimes even within the same chain.
The terms are posted in reply 2. But the basis of her complaint as she stated later is she has the points in her account but is unable to apply them.

The OP clarified her complaint in post 7.