• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

RSSC Gangway Fiasco

Jan 2, 2020
I am a Regent cruiser and sadly even the best run companies can have service failures. I agree with Neil in regards to arranging for a wheelchair or electric scooter to be delivered to your Mom on board. These companies service cruise ships large and small all over the world. An Electric Scooter might give your Mom some real freedom and pleasure to enjoy the ship while onboard rather than being exhausted getting from place to place. The cost of these services is very reasonable.
I hope you enjoyed your cruise aboard Mariner, she is my favorite Regent ship!
Yes other than the mobility issue a good time was had. One of the waiters even recognized us and vice versa from a cruise maybe 5 years ago. On another note, how challenging is a scooter to operate if you don't drive. I've never even touched one so I'm going to guess it can be pretty simple but I've seen someone nearly wipe out in a grocery store as well.

Jan 2, 2020
I am a Regent cruiser and sadly even the best run companies can have service failures. I agree with Neil in regards to arranging for a wheelchair or electric scooter to be delivered to your Mom on board. These companies service cruise ships large and small all over the world. An Electric Scooter might give your Mom some real freedom and pleasure to enjoy the ship while onboard rather than being exhausted getting from place to place. The cost of these services is very reasonable.
I hope you enjoyed your cruise aboard Mariner, she is my favorite Regent ship!
Going to check with her on this and yes she may like that freedom instead of having to opt out of a location or area.

Jan 2, 2020
Meaning no disrespect to our OP, someone has to be the last 4 passengers. When the cruise line is arranging for disembarkation of folks who need some mobility assistance, there's a mathematical certainty that someone will be last on that list. Other people on that list may have truthfully had an earlier flight or just gamed the system to get off earlier.
Last off wasn't the problem, the issue was them continuing to say stay in the cabin and someone would be there when no one came or couldn't come. We didn't miss the flight or anything but with moving slow, you want to make sure there's plenty of time. I'm hoping it was just a fluke and that we can arrange for a chair so navigating the ramps isn't an issue and she's still got her independence.

Reactions: VoR61
Jan 2, 2020
As an semi-regular wheelchair user and fairly regular cruiser, I’ve found that the start of of the cruise is always amazing. We arrive and there is someone available to push my chair (which I’m used to doing with my arms). We zip through registration and get an onboarding assist to lunch. I see lots of crew pushing people onto the ship, then coming back with an empty chair to push another person to the ship.

I’ve not sailed on Regent, but on the cruises I have taken, they have always had an issue with not enough chairs and pushers at disembarkation. They have had people meet in a central location, then taken them off one at a time. The issue is that the crew can only go so far before they have to hand off the chair to a shoreside person, and there are only a third or so of the shoreside people compared to crew.

My solution is to accept the crew help off the ship and down the ramp, then push myself the rest of the way. I’m used to it, but it is generally obvious that I’m the exception and most people get stuck waiting for shoreside assistance, keeping the available wheelchairs longer than expected.
If needing a wheelchair is becoming a fairly regular issue, it might be worth purchasing your own to take along, especially if you can push your mother. That way you have it when it is needed.
Thanks for the suggestion.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yes other than the mobility issue a good time was had. One of the waiters even recognized us and vice versa from a cruise maybe 5 years ago. On another note, how challenging is a scooter to operate if you don't drive. I've never even touched one so I'm going to guess it can be pretty simple but I've seen someone nearly wipe out in a grocery store as well.
Oh, you've given me a chuckle. Back when I had my hip replaced, we decided to go to Lowe's to pick up some goodies for the house. I was thrilled to see those scooters and hopped into one. Great fun ... until I tried to turn the thing. The scooter turned on a DIME, I did a 180 in the blink of an eye. It would have been very easy to fall right out of it. I thought it was hilarious, my poor "caretaker" husband was having a meltdown. Take your mom to a couple of big stores which have scooters and see how she does.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Oh, you've given me a chuckle. Back when I had my hip replaced, we decided to go to Lowe's to pick up some goodies for the house. I was thrilled to see those scooters and hopped into one. Great fun ... until I tried to turn the thing. The scooter turned on a DIME, I did a 180 in the blink of an eye. It would have been very easy to fall right out of it. I thought it was hilarious, my poor "caretaker" husband was having a meltdown. Take your mom to a couple of big stores which have scooters and see how she does.
Love those scooters provided in stores! Without them I literally would not be able to grocery shop because I can't push shopping carts.

I have a spinal injury that can't be cured, only pain management. I often use crutches to get around. Sometimes I use a wheelchair, especially when in situations that require a lot of walking. At first I was resistant to the idea of buying my own chair, for lots of reasons: cost, size and weight, storage issues and the snark from folks wondering why I am using a wheelchair since my legs work. I did some research and pleasantly learned that there tons of options out there, not just those big, boxy heavy metal chairs you see in the hospital. Now, I own an aluminum frame chair that's foldable and light weight enough that I can wheel myself around. Got it at a great price on Amazon. It's made such a difference in the quality of life for myself and my family.