• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Royal Caribbean cruise experience

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
On a cruise ship you have complete control. My Diabetic husband receives meals tailored to his needs. We registered with the Special Needs dept. Menus are sent to our cabin the day before. Fish, chicken, fresh vegetables & salads are abundant. We do not ever eat in the buffet but even there getting a yummy salad is easy.
We eat in the Dining room, same section with same servers. On boarding the ship we meet with the Dining Room manager to further clarify dietary needs.

At Christmas we will sail with a Grandchild with Severe Anaphylactic food allergies. He can not eat dairy, nuts, most grains and beef. We have provided all this to the Special needs department and of course have multiple Epi pens as a safety measure. My grandchild’s parents feel comfortable from past experience that the Cruiseline take this situation very seriously and we will all have a great time!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
OK, Barry, you got me. What are you saying?
If you are talking about kosher meals- different story. That has to be sent to the special needs department and they order pre-made meals for you. Unless a ship is fully chartered, it is impossible for a ship to be able to prepare fresh kosher meals according to the followings of your religion . But you can notify the cruise line and they can arrange to have meals for you onboard.

Sep 9, 2018
If you are talking about kosher meals- different story. That has to be sent to the special needs department and they order pre-made meals for you. Unless a ship is fully chartered, it is impossible for a ship to be able to prepare fresh kosher meals according to the followings of your religion . But you can notify the cruise line and they can arrange to have meals for you onboard.

I think Barry was referring to a previous comment that speculated why people chose to not eat certain foods..... and that it must be weird or annoying.

While I don't keep Kosher, I am a vegan by choice. I love it and am very proud of it. I do not ever expect others to cater to me and usually end up bringing my own food to not stress others out. In the past, if food wasn't labeled or if the kitchen didn't know whether something was vegan or not, I had a choice: politely not eat it or take my chances.

At the end of the day, people's diets mean what they mean to them. I never feel like I'm missing out or, again, expect others to cater to me. I have choices and they're mine to make without complaint or the expectation of special treatment. I don't feel weird or annoying....although I'm sure my kids will disagree with that! ;)

Oct 15, 2018
To the OP,
Your complaints about the food options have been discussed in previous posts. I’d like to add the following regarding your complaints :

There are a number of small insects off the ship that likely caused the insect bites. The bites were likely from either sand fleas or no-see-ums ( a tiny insect that is difficult to see but which can cause the bites you describe). Not sure how you can blame the cruise ship.

Regarding the condition of your stateroom, you choose an older ship to sail on. I have sailed old ships and new ships and there is a definite difference in the staterooms. Older ships have their own charm including usually fewer passengers and lower prices, which is why I sail them however it’s not uncommon to have worn areas in the cabins.
If the stateroom condition is important to you, then maybe it would be better to stick with newer ships.

Frankly I think expecting credit towards a new cruise is unrealistic. RCCL is offering extra amenities on a future cruise which falls more in line with the difficulties you encountered .

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
On a cruise ship you have complete control. My Diabetic husband receives meals tailored to his needs. We registered with the Special Needs dept. Menus are sent to our cabin the day before. Fish, chicken, fresh vegetables & salads are abundant. We do not ever eat in the buffet but even there getting a yummy salad is easy.
We eat in the Dining room, same section with same servers. On boarding the ship we meet with the Dining Room manager to further clarify dietary needs.

At Christmas we will sail with a Grandchild with Severe Anaphylactic food allergies. He can not eat dairy, nuts, most grains and beef. We have provided all this to the Special needs department and of course have multiple Epi pens as a safety measure. My grandchild’s parents feel comfortable from past experience that the Cruiseline take this situation very seriously and we will all have a great time!
You sound like a cool grandma! :) My 25 year-old daughter has been with her boyfriend for 4 years, half of those years living together. They mentioned over Thanksgiving their intent to marry and so I'm now starting to think about grandma-hood!

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
You sound like a cool grandma! :) My 25 year-old daughter has been with her boyfriend for 4 years, half of those years living together. They mentioned over Thanksgiving their intent to marry and so I'm now starting to think about grandma-hood!
BittyBoo it’s the best! :)

Reactions: mmb