River cruise vouchers

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 9, 2019
Booked a trip, a river cruise for my dads 87th birthday. it was me, my 85 year old mom and niece. Getting closer to the trip still a month away my father starts to have anxiety, after his appointment the Dr advices against trip, citing he had came down with legionnaire disease which resulted in extended hospital stay followed with several months of rehab.....I bought the trip insurance( cancel for any reason ) evidently it does not cover anxiety. the compensation that is given would be in non transferable vouchers , which under the circumstances, and considering their advanced age doesn't do us much good...Should I hire an attorney?

Feb 21, 2018
A policy that includes "cancel for any reason" should in fact, allow you to cancel for any reason. You could decide the sky isn't blue enough and if you cancel within the appropriate time frame, the insurance should cover.

The key here is how they 'cover' this cancellation. You need to read your policy - does invoking the 'cancel for any reason' provide for cash refund, or a cruise voucher? It sounds like they offer the voucher as compensation, a way to keep you whole and allow you to re-schedule your trip. You need to read the specific terms of your policy to know how the 'cancel for any reason' compensation is determined and provided.

Nov 9, 2019
Yes CFAR they offer a voucher which in my parents case won't do them much good. The Dr said NO , ( Live and learn....) if his anxiety resulted in a hospital stay they'd return cash or implied they would. I am hoping an attorney can do better than me .

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Was this cancel for any reason policy purchase thru the River Cruise Company ?

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, I don’t believe an attorney will help. You purchased a policy that only gives you a credit if you cancel for a non covered reason, not one that offers cash back.

No travel insurance covers anxiety. The way CFAR works is if you don’t cancel for a covered reason(which would refund 100%), the CFAR either pays you a partial refund (usually 75-85%) OR a credit for a future cruise, depending on the policy.

You purchased a policy that doesn’t give cash back, but a credit. If you bought it from the cruise company- that’s usually what they sell.

If you had purchased a separate policy outside the cruise line, you would have most likely received a partial cash refund. If you can link to the actual policy we can look at it for you.

It sounds like you got exactly what the policy offered- you might not have read the actual policy to understand it . A lawyer would not be able to assist you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is the trade off on using a suppliers insurance. You have to carefully read what is and isn’t covered and also how they administer the CFAR. For cruises most that have CFAR only offer a future credit.

When you purchase from outside the supplier- most refund a portion only a portion of the cancellation fees if you cancel for a non covered reason.

Once a passenger hits the age of 70 it is often more economical to buy the suppliers insurance because it is not based on age but the coverage is often less then a more expensive third party. You always need to carefully read any policy you buy for what is and isn’t t covered.

It’s a shame you didn’t just go- a river cruise is a much smaller ship and it’s much easier to get around then a large ship. I think your Dad would have enjoyed it once he arrived.

Reactions: Patina and VoR61
Dec 19, 2014
"... after his appointment the Dr advices against trip, citing he had came down with legionnaire disease which resulted in extended hospital stay followed with several months of rehab"

Just to clarify, the physician recommended against the trip due to anxiety? or was it due to complications of Legionnaire's disease? or another reason?

As others have said, you need to read the terms and conditions of your insurance policy. Even if you are eligible for a cash refund, CFAR policies often reimburse no more than 75% of the cost.

Reactions: krisseye and VoR61
Nov 9, 2019
Was this cancel for any reason policy purchase thru the River Cruise Company ?
This is the trade off on using a suppliers insurance. You have to carefully read what is and isn’t covered and also how they administer the CFAR. For cruises most that have CFAR only offer a future credit.

When you purchase from outside the supplier- most refund a portion only a portion of the cancellation fees if you cancel for a non covered reason.

Once a passenger hits the age of 70 it is often more economical to buy the suppliers insurance because it is not based on age but the coverage is often less then a more expensive third party. You always need to carefully read any policy you buy for what is and isn’t t covered.

It’s a shame you didn’t just go- a river cruise is a much smaller ship and it’s much easier to get around then a large ship. I think your Dad would have enjoyed it once he arrived.
I know , but he really did panick and it would have started a chain reaction , with mother etc . It was trip mate offered by biking I bought it at the onset. Knowing they were older

Nov 9, 2019
"... after his appointment the Dr advices against trip, citing he had came down with legionnaire disease which resulted in extended hospital stay followed with several months of rehab"

Just to clarify, the physician recommended against the trip due to anxiety? or was it due to complications of Legionnaire's disease? or another reason?

As others have said, you need to read the terms and conditions of your insurance policy. Even if you are eligible for a cash refund, CFAR policies often reimburse no more than 75% of the cost.
The legionnaires was a few yrs back , the Drs had asked him about hotels trains plans . CDC requires them to try and pinpoint where he got it ...

Nov 9, 2019

I am getting 75 percent back Viking picked up
25percent im a cash refund

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The Dr said he was physically disabled from going Bc of the panick attacks
That’s an emotional issue which no insurance company covers. That leaves you with the CFAR - which unfortunately because it is Vikings insurance only allow a future cruise credit.

A third party policy would have paid cash but would have been a lot more money than Vikings policy.

I wish I had better news.

Reactions: krisseye