Requested refund not credit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 4, 2020
On 3/21/20 I filled out a Frontier Airlines form requesting a refund for flights on 4/13/20. I did not ask to cancel the flight, but thought it would be cancelled after non essential travel to Mexico was restricted. Frontier agents did not respond that they could not provide a refund since the flight had not been cancelled yet. Instead, they processed my inquiry as if I requested a cancellation and issued me flight credits. I did not request to cancel my flights. I will not be able to travel other than the original dates scheduled. Frontier did indeed cancel the flights I was scheduled on which would entitle me to a refund under the contract of carriage. I have been trying to resolve this matter ever since 3/23/2020 when I received the response that Frontier cancelled my flights and issued me flight credits.
I have written several emails to the primary contact person listed on your website asking for a refund if the flight was cancelled instead of a credit, and keep getting the response that their policy is to give a credit instead of a refund. On 4/13/20, I wrote an email to Mr. Shurz, the secondary contact person and have not yet gotten a response. On 4/21/2020, I wrote an email to Mr Barry Biffle , the Frontier CEO. I have not yet gotten a response from him either. I understand if I request to cancel the flight before Frontier cancels the flight they are not required to offer me a refund. I am still hoping I can get a refund since I did not request to cancel the flight, but instead asked for a refund due the non essential travel restrictions to Mexico and yet Frontier processed my request as if I had requested to cancel instead of telling me that they could not give a refund since the flight had not been cancelled yet.
Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You said “ On 3/21/20 I filled out a Frontier Airlines form requesting a refund for flights on 4/13/20.”

If you filled out a form requesting a refund- you canceled the flight. They cannot issue a refund without canceling the flight.

Since you did the request before Frontier canceled the flight, you aren’t due a refund, only a credit.

Never click on something requesting a refund- it cancels the flight as that is the only way they can refund.

May 4, 2020
Bummer. I doubt if I will be flying Frontier in the next two years so I will consider the money gone. Would you recommend that I click on this offer to exchange travel credit for miles and extending the period which I can rebook in case I can travel? Are there pros and cons to this action? Thanks again.

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 4.03.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 4.07.31 PM.png

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Depending on the terms of Frontiers FF plan, converting to miles MAY (depending on their terms) allow you to use the miles for tickets for other family members. This would more flexible than vouchers. You will need to read their FF plan terms carefully and maybe call them.

Reactions: Neil Maley

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm sorry you inadvertently cancelled your flight. A great many travellers are running up against this "who cancelled when" scene. Neil is right, read those terms very carefully. You should be able to book tix for anyone with your miles. I wouldn't call them, you really need to read and understand the terms; airline agents are some times not the best source of information. Make a copy of the relevant rule and keep it safe, be sure it contains the date ... actually, I'd make a pdf out of all the terms and conditions. Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Reactions: Skippy and Patina