Request to Waive Carnival Cruise Change Fee - Special Health Consideration Denied

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 10, 2017
But with what is going on now, unless one buys a Cancel for Any Reason insurance policy, travel insurance doesn’t cover this. This is a cancellation due to fear of getting sick and is not a covered reason to cancel.
1. True, but the OP purchased no insurance.
2. If the OP's mother is that fragile, perhaps they should have purchased CFAR protection? You can't predict misfortune.
3. I'm going to the UK in May, so permit me to bury my head in the sand until then.

Reactions: krisseye and Patina

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
1. True, but the OP purchased no insurance.
2. If the OP's mother is that fragile, perhaps they should have purchased CFAR protection? You can't predict misfortune.
3. I'm going to the UK in May, so permit me to bury my head in the sand until then.
We are going to Greece with 20 others in May who haven’t canceled. Cool minds prevail.

Reactions: Skippy
Aug 29, 2015
To clarify, our mom is generally healthy and very active, and our parents have cruised many times without any issues. The difference in our opinion about the flu/other overall health risks on cruises and coronavirus is the fact that coronavirus is highly contagious and there's a risk of quarantine.
If your mom is generally healthy and active, there is really no more or less risk in going on a cruise now, than any other time. This coronavirus is simply one of MANY coronaviruses that is present in society. The "common cold" is a form of coronavirus, and the same precautions are required now as should always be taken. Wash your hands frequently. Avoid toughing your face with your hands. Sneeze or cough into your elbow and try to prevent it from spreading. If you are ill, stay home.

Nearly all viruses can lead to severe illness for some parts of the population. COVID-19 is simply the latest to make the news.
You will obviously need to make the best decision for your family, but I recommend that you simply go on the planned cruise and enjoy yourselves.

Mar 4, 2020
Thank you, our travel agent forwarded this to us as well. We're very happy to see this news and relieved that the issue has been resolved. Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread.

Jul 7, 2018
I've seen the comments that passengers temperatures are being taken before they board. What happens if they have an elevated temperature and are refused boarding? Is there a refund offered? Can they rebook for a later date without penalty? I'm just wondering how the cruise lines are handling this if they are taking temperatures.

Reactions: VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I've seen the comments that passengers temperatures are being taken before they board. What happens if they have an elevated temperature and are refused boarding? Is there a refund offered? Can they rebook for a later date without penalty? I'm just wondering how the cruise lines are handling this if they are taking temperatures.
Here is what Royal Caribbean is doing - full credit for a future cruise.

All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit for your cruise fare paid, and any precruise Royal Caribbean International purchases and taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment.

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
I'm glad the OP's situation was satisfactorily resolved. The situation is evolving (for the worse) every day. This news item today is particularly relevant:

Top health official to older Americans: ‘Don’t get on a cruise ship’
Dr. Anthony Fauci offered stark advice.

A top U.S. health official on Sunday warned Americans who are elderly or who have underlying health conditions not to get on a cruise ship as the number of documented coronavirus cases continues to rise within the United States and globally.
“Something that’s important, that I hope the American people appreciate is that the risk of getting into trouble with this infection, namely if you are infected, is overwhelmingly weighted toward people with underlying conditions and the elderly,” said Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“If you're a person with an underlying condition and you are particularly an elderly person with an underlying condition, you need to think twice about getting on a plane, on a long trip,” he said. And not only think twice, just don't get on a cruise ship.”

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If your mom is generally healthy and active, there is really no more or less risk in going on a cruise now, than any other time. This coronavirus is simply one of MANY coronaviruses that is present in society. The "common cold" is a form of coronavirus, and the same precautions are required now as should always be taken. Wash your hands frequently. Avoid toughing your face with your hands. Sneeze or cough into your elbow and try to prevent it from spreading. If you are ill, stay home.

Nearly all viruses can lead to severe illness for some parts of the population. COVID-19 is simply the latest to make the news.
You will obviously need to make the best decision for your family, but I recommend that you simply go on the planned cruise and enjoy yourselves.
This advice is not good advice. We are NOT dealing with the "common cold".

Reactions: JMLamb
Mar 9, 2020
No one answers at Carnival. What do you do if you want to take advantage of the days before cruising to change to a future cruise but you can't get through? On Saturday, Mar 7th the automated line had the option "If you want to cancel due to Coronavirus, press___" but that no longer is an option. As of yesterday Mar. 8th every number you call (I've tried 4) gives the message " Network improvements are in [email protected] location you have dialed" and then Carnival cuts off the call.

We are booked on the Panorama to Mexican Riviera etc. on Saturday Mar. 14th. My husband has a compromised immune system and is in his 60s. We have decided not to sail at this particular time. We want to take advantage of the chance to move our cruise to a different date but the Carnival letter dated Mar. 6 says you have to change it within 3 days of the cruise. On Sat. Mar. 7th I also found my way to a screen on the Carnival website saying you'd get 100% credit toward a future cruise within the next year if you were scheduled within our sailing dates. Now that screen seems to have been taken down. I am worried they will take our money. What do you suggest?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
No one answers at Carnival. What do you do if you want to take advantage of the days before cruising to change to a future cruise but you can't get through? On Saturday, Mar 7th the automated line had the option "If you want to cancel due to Coronavirus, press___" but that no longer is an option. As of yesterday Mar. 8th every number you call (I've tried 4) gives the message " Network improvements are in [email protected] location you have dialed" and then Carnival cuts off the call.

We are booked on the Panorama to Mexican Riviera etc. on Saturday Mar. 14th. My husband has a compromised immune system and is in his 60s. We have decided not to sail at this particular time. We want to take advantage of the chance to move our cruise to a different date but the Carnival letter dated Mar. 6 says you have to change it within 3 days of the cruise. On Sat. Mar. 7th I also found my way to a screen on the Carnival website saying you'd get 100% credit toward a future cruise within the next year if you were scheduled within our sailing dates. Now that screen seems to have been taken down. I am worried they will take our money. What do you suggest?
Here are Carnival contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/carnival-cruise-lines/
Try email or social media to reach them. They are overwhelmed with phone calls.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you book directly with Carnival? They are overwhelmed right now since the State Dept. statement last night. The hold times are long. Are you saying there is no answer at all?

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015

Did you book directly or with a TA? If you booked through an agent, THEY should be your advocate and handling this for you. Talk to him/her. If you booked directly, have PATIENCE. The cruise lines are handling a metric butt ton of calls for this exact circumstance right now--it is NOT just you. Put the phone on speaker, grab a cup of coffee or glass of wine, and a magazine and settle in for a nice long wait! But, be PATIENT. And make sure you have your original paperwork in front of you so you aren't scrambling to find information when it's asked for and forcing the next person in line to wait even longer. Good Luck!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm glad the OP's situation was satisfactorily resolved. The situation is evolving (for the worse) every day. This news item today is particularly relevant:

Top health official to older Americans: ‘Don’t get on a cruise ship’
Dr. Anthony Fauci offered stark advice.

A top U.S. health official on Sunday warned Americans who are elderly or who have underlying health conditions not to get on a cruise ship as the number of documented coronavirus cases continues to rise within the United States and globally.
“Something that’s important, that I hope the American people appreciate is that the risk of getting into trouble with this infection, namely if you are infected, is overwhelmingly weighted toward people with underlying conditions and the elderly,” said Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“If you're a person with an underlying condition and you are particularly an elderly person with an underlying condition, you need to think twice about getting on a plane, on a long trip,” he said. And not only think twice, just don't get on a cruise ship.”
It is difficult to grasp how anyone with any health issue would travel anywhere at all right now. Do people think that going on their trip because they can't get a refund is some kind of solution? Your health is worth far more than any trip you can think of. If your health is not robust, stay home.

Reactions: Mel65 and Patina

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think that your trip to Greece and mine to the UK are looking less and less possible. I'm waiting to see what announcements are issued by tour operators on Monday.
That’s ok because then they will have to offer a refund if it happens and that might be better than a future credit. Who knows if these companies will be in business long enough to use a future credit. We are on a small cruise line so not sure that this would be a bad thing.

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
That’s ok because then they will have to offer a refund if it happens and that might be better than a future credit. Who knows if these companies will be in business long enough to use a future credit. We are on a small cruise line so not sure that this would be a bad thing.
Good point.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It is difficult to grasp how anyone with any health issue would travel anywhere at all right now. Do people think that going on their trip because they can't get a refund is some kind of solution? Your health is worth far more than any trip you can think of. If your health is not robust, stay home.
Royal Caribbean and NCL are now requiring all travelers age 70 or over to get a medical certificate from their doctor saying they are healthy enough to cruise.

Reactions: Mel65 and Patina
Apr 10, 2017
Not just small companies in peril.