Regent Seven Seas flout EU consumer legislation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
I am retired living off my savings (which have been reduced by around 30%). This cash would last me many months thus reducing the need for me to withdraw savings (ie sell assets) at a vastly reduced price, thus having a long term impact on my retirement funding position. Apart from that its a matter of principal. RSSC are stating a position to their customers which is contrary to the legal position. Honesty is always a better policy.
I understand your wanting your money back ASAP; I would, too. But your argument is not persuasive, because you chose to use your assets to purchase a cruise. Had the cruise sailed, you would have been in the same financial position now (perhaps even worse due to ancillary vacation expenses), but you would be entitled to no refund. You'd still be selling assets under your scenario. So I would just relax and wait for your refund, then re-invest it when (if) it comes.

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
I followed up on this with several sources and this news appears to be inaccurate. The most derogatory information I saw was that "the cruise lines CPAs said it might go bankrupt". I think financial experts could say that about any company whose revenue stream has dried up while expenses continue during this crisis..
Correct. In the United States (and probably European countries also) a public company's auditors are required to qualify their audit attestation if certain situations indicate the company may have difficulty continuing operations as a going concern.

Reactions: Skippy
Sep 3, 2018
Correct. In the United States (and probably European countries also) a public company's auditors are required to qualify their audit attestation if certain situations indicate the company may have difficulty continuing operations as a going concern.
Confirmed that International Standards on Auditing (the rules the EU uses, though not developed on its watch), like U. S. GAAS, contain that requirement.

Reactions: Skippy