Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 24, 2020
I reserved a hotel room at Double tree Hilton in Lawrenceburg, IN
It was booked thru expedia on February 8th. My stay was for July 4th and 5th. My family and I decided it would be best to cancel because of Covid19 and riots and protests. So I called expedia and cancelled. I asked due to circumstances when could I expect my refund, they informed me my room was non refundable. I went to Hilton's website and tried calling them, they were not even open due to Covid and were not taking anymore reservations. They also have posted that due to Covid19 all non cancellable reservations would be refunded due to Covid19. I told this to Expedia and they told me they have to actually speak to a Hilton rep in order to refund my money. I told them they are closed, so then they told me they did reach out to the Hilton and Hilton said no to the refund.
On Hilton's website it states "due to covid19 all non cancellable rooms will be refunded" as long as it's cancelled before June 30th 2020. I still have no conclusion to this situation. I want my $216.00 refunded

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I reserved a hotel room at Double tree Hilton in Lawrenceburg, IN
It was booked thru expedia on February 8th. My stay was for July 4th and 5th. My family and I decided it would be best to cancel because of Covid19 and riots and protests. So I called expedia and cancelled. I asked due to circumstances when could I expect my refund, they informed me my room was non refundable. I went to Hilton's website and tried calling them, they were not even open due to Covid and were not taking anymore reservations. They also have posted that due to Covid19 all non cancellable reservations would be refunded due to Covid19. I told this to Expedia and they told me they have to actually speak to a Hilton rep in order to refund my money. I told them they are closed, so then they told me they did reach out to the Hilton and Hilton said no to the refund.
On Hilton's website it states "due to covid19 all non cancellable rooms will be refunded" as long as it's cancelled before June 30th 2020. I still have no conclusion to this situation. I want my $216.00 refunded
Since you booked a non-refundable rate through Expedia you may be stuck with the non-refundable part, regardless of what Hilton says.
You will need to communicate with Hilton and Expedia by email or social media, not by phone, and see if you can get any documentation from Hilton that Expedia will accept. Since you booked in Feb prior to any Covid-19 issues, Expedia may not agree to a refund.

Here are the contacts for Hilton and Expedia. Start at the lowest level of customer service with Hilton to see if you can get a document to send to Expedia. Once you have that you can start at the lowest level of customer service for Expedia. Do NOT email all contacts at once. You unfortunately have very little time to get this done if they gave you a June 30 deadline although you said you have already canceled your reservation.

Dec 19, 2014
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Since you booked through Expedia, your refund request will need to be processed through Expedia. Even if Hilton does refund the room rate, it will refund to Expedia, not to you, as Expedia is the booking agent.

However, a little research shows that the hotel is NOT closed on July 4th and July 5th. As of this post, rooms can be reserved and booked for the dates of your stay. As the hotel is not closed, this would not be a valid reason for a refund.

What is valid for you is Hilton's COVID-19 policy
"For reservations made prior to March 12, 2020 – when our new, more flexible reservation policy went into effect: You may now change or cancel any future reservation, without penalty, as long as you do so at least 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date, but not later than August 31, 2020. This includes reservations described as “non-cancellable” or Advance Purchase. "

So, your room should be refundable, AS LONG AS YOU BOOKED A PUBLISHED RATE.

Unfortunately, Expedia will sometimes offer special rates that are "unpublished rates." That is, Expedia will pre-purchase room blocks at a highly discounted rate, and then re-sell the room with a markup. If you booked an Expedia "unpublished rate" then you are at the mercy of Expedia and their cancellation policy or COVID policy. Sadly, this is one of the perils of booking 3rd party.

I find it strange that Expedia deferred your request to Hilton. It's not Hilton's problem, it's Expedia's problem. They are your travel "agent" and they are the ones that are supposed to advocate on your behalf. You need to direct all inquiries to Expedia IN WRITING. Hilton should not have told you no refunds. Their own policy dictates so.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Since you booked through Expedia, your refund request will need to be processed through Expedia. Even if Hilton does refund the room rate, it will refund to Expedia, not to you, as Expedia is the booking agent.

However, a little research shows that the hotel is NOT closed on July 4th and July 5th. As of this post, rooms can be reserved and booked for the dates of your stay. As the hotel is not closed, this would not be a valid reason for a refund.

What is valid for you is Hilton's COVID-19 policy
"For reservations made prior to March 12, 2020 – when our new, more flexible reservation policy went into effect: You may now change or cancel any future reservation, without penalty, as long as you do so at least 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date, but not later than August 31, 2020. This includes reservations described as “non-cancellable” or Advance Purchase. "

So, your room should be refundable, AS LONG AS YOU BOOKED A PUBLISHED RATE.

Unfortunately, Expedia will sometimes offer special rates that are "unpublished rates." That is, Expedia will pre-purchase room blocks at a highly discounted rate, and then re-sell the room with a markup. If you booked an Expedia "unpublished rate" then you are at the mercy of Expedia and their cancellation policy or COVID policy. Sadly, this is one of the perils of booking 3rd party.

I find it strange that Expedia deferred your request to Hilton. It's not Hilton's problem, it's Expedia's problem. They are your travel "agent" and they are the ones that are supposed to advocate on your behalf. You need to direct all inquiries to Expedia IN WRITING. Hilton should not have told you no refunds. Their own policy dictates so.
It is also possible/probable that Expedia did not send the money to Hilton since the cancellation occurred weeks ago for a July 4 reservation.

And, as you suggest the Expedia rate may not have been a published Hilton rate and therefore not eligible for a refund.
Did the OP book through Expedia due to a lower rate than on the Hilton website? If so, the rate would have been an unpublished rate.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Many hotel chains are being very flexible with cancellations, but only for reservations made directly with their website, not through an online booking service. You need to handle this in writing with Expedia, my colleagues have given you all the information. Be prepared to be patient and persistent. Unless there's a viable reason, travellers should make bookings directly with the airline or hotel.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Jun 19, 2019
Indiana is open! Things are normal here - as normal as can be. Phase 5 opening starting this week I believe. Now areas have cancelled fireworks and such but as another poster said hotel is open as are majority of Indiana businesses.