• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

KEA

Feb 26, 2017
On January 16 I lost my American Airlines flight from Rome to Boston (via London) due to a bad accident on the highway traveling to Fiumicino. I arrived to the British Airways checkin desk at 10:50am for an 11:25am flight but they wouldn’t let me board. They couldn’t help me reschedule so I had to return to Rome, stay another night with my friend, and rebook for the next day at a cost of $600. Plus I spent $170 in phone calls at the airport (thought I was using airport wifi) because I didn't know who to call first. I had originally booked the ticket using my reward points from Capital One, had purchased travel insurance and this flight was a booking with American Airlines but operated by British Airways.

As I had purchased travel insurance with Allianz, I submitted a claim along with documentation, the online article about the accident, but because I was not in the accident they couldn’t help me. Then t wrote to American Airlines and British Airways to no avail. Even tried Tweeting these companies. It just seems very unfair because it was not my fault.

Is there anything that can be done?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you have documentation proving the accident and the delays? Without that they usually can't accept a story about a delay like that. Did you plan to be at the airport three hours before your flight was scheduled to depart? That is the recommended time for international flights.

You can appeal the case. Tell you them the time you left for the airport, proving you left early enough and still were delayed.

Unfortunately check in closes one hour before your flight is scheduled to depart and if you haven't checked in by that
time the computers lock down and they can't let you check in.

If you have documentation of the accident and the traffic delays(news story?) that would help an appeal.

Sep 19, 2015
What a mess. I know the A91 very well, Roma-Fumicino and if there is an accident then it is very difficult as the exits are spaced far away. Your flight departed at 1125. BA closes out their European flights at the latest 45 minutes before departure, so at the latest 10:40 am at the the counter to check in. It is recommended that one arrive at least 2 hours early at the airport for such a flight, so around 9:25 am/

There are certainly news reports of the accident, there was serious injury and an air ambulance had to be called (ie helicopter) so the road was closed to allow for that to happen.

http://www.romatoday.it/cronaca/incidente-stradale/roma-fiumicino-16-gennaio-2017.html

What is problematic is that the car accident is reported to have happened at 10 am, which may make the insurance company confused as to why you were not already at the airport for a 11:25 am flight

http://www.motorionline.com/traffico/autostrada/A91/?refresh_ce

upload_2017-2-26_15-24-56.png

At 9:01 traffic was heavy on one area of the A91 Roma Fiumicino -- the accident happened around 10:00 am or 10:01 am. If you were behind or around that accident at 10 am, it is questionable as to whether you left early enough. The accident happened 4.2 km before the Parco de Medici exit (which is approximately 14 km before the airport) so approximately 18 km before the airport at 10 am. In the best of traffic (ie 4 am) and driving 100 km per hour it still takes about 10 to 11 minutes from where the accident was to the airport (yes I have done it in a rental car).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What a mess. I know the A91 very well, Roma-Fumicino and if there is an accident then it is very difficult as the exits are spaced far away. Your flight departed at 1125. BA closes out their European flights at the latest 45 minutes before departure, so at the latest 10:40 am at the the counter to check in. It is recommended that one arrive at least 2 hours early at the airport for such a flight, so around 9:25 am/

There are certainly news reports of the accident, there was serious injury and an air ambulance had to be called (ie helicopter) so the road was closed to allow for that to happen.

http://www.romatoday.it/cronaca/incidente-stradale/roma-fiumicino-16-gennaio-2017.html

What is problematic is that the car accident is reported to have happened at 10 am, which may make the insurance company confused as to why you were not already at the airport for a 11:25 am flight

http://www.motorionline.com/traffico/autostrada/A91/?refresh_ce

View attachment 1214

At 9:01 traffic was heavy on one area of the A91 Roma Fiumicino -- the accident happened around 10:00 am or 10:01 am. If you were behind or around that accident at 10 am, it is questionable as to whether you left early enough. The accident happened 4.2 km before the Parco de Medici exit (which is approximately 14 km before the airport) so approximately 18 km before the airport at 10 am. In the best of traffic (ie 4 am) and driving 100 km per hour it still takes about 10 to 11 minutes from where the accident was to the airport (yes I have done it in a rental car).
Which is what I thought- the writer didn't plan in arriving 2 hours (actually 3 hours is recommended for an international flight, 2 hours for domestic).

The insurance might decline it again because of that.