Refund or Credit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 26, 2020
Gave Audley Travel a 5000 deposit on Feb 13 for a trip to Greece May 19.
Of course at Level 4 the trip can not take place and the airline has cancelled flight anyway.
I ask for a refund and Audley only offers two options.
Postpone trip up to Dec 31 2021 and take same trip and they "envisage" no changes in cost, or take the credit and apply to a trip in future up to two years.
That would be at costs at that time.
I am supposed to sign document NOW to let them know which option I will take and then I will have 90 days to give them our dates of travel which would probably be May NEXT year or later depending on the virus and the vendors they are using.
They claim that they have paid the vendors already for our trip and they wont refund to Audley.
If true, they now know how I feel.
I have not officially cancelled trip and Audley has not cancelled trip either but it is obvious this trip cannot take place.

Apr 26, 2020
Lots of fine print but deposit which was 25% of total in this case, is non refundable unless Audley cancels trip
which they didn't do. They knew we couldn't take trip so they offered two options, not a refund.
They actually told me that we could take the trip at our own peril in spite of the Level 4 declaration.
Greece was shut down and BA cancelled our flights.
If WE cancel trip 91 days before departure 25% of trip plus any advance payments and that goes up to 100% if cancelled
0-30 Days.
We didn't cancel trip but it was obvious the trip couldn't safely take place.
These terms were "boiler plate" terms before the Covid 19 situation that are on the itinerary.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I assume you booked air independently? If you did book with Audley, they're on notice that the flights are cancelled. Travel providers are being very cagey about official "cancellation" of a tour. Is this trip insured? I just faced a large credit with a European river cruise company which was fine with me ... except a worry about the financial viability of the cruise line. No reason for my concern, just common sense. My Chase Sapphire insurance does cover insolvency, so I rebooked our cruise. If this trip is not insured, I'll leave it to my colleagues to advise you.

Apr 26, 2020
Correct you are.. I booked air separately through AMEX and have gotten refund and Audley Travel knows and has acknowledged.
No I did not have travel insurance.Spoke to AMEX about filing a dispute.
Maybe worth a shot as a last resort.
Key seems that CANCEL is a key issue. If they cancel they usually refund.. If I cancel I get credit.
Neither of us actually cancelled but it was pretty obvious that it would be impossible for me to take that trip.
Thanks

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is the showdown at the OK Corral, Greek version. Audley probably doesn't have the money to refund and would like as many customers as possible to take the credit for a future trip. So they will probably not cancel until the very last minute. Other than a CC dispute, I honestly don't know what to tell you. Hoping my colleagues will be more resourceful than I.

Apr 26, 2020
JSN Thx for reply.. I am told by Audley that they are financially strong. Maybe so. Makes it even worse then.
I just sent them a proposal I could live with.
Otherwise it would go to Amex in dispute or MA attorney general.
Don’t want to give them balance and take the trip on principal.
I hope you enjoy your river cruise and forget the torture they put us through.

Apr 26, 2020
Some good news for a change
Had a real conversation with Audley's Travel and they agreed to refund 5,000.00 deposit with no strings attached.
Lesson to be learned is be persistent but not nasty and wait as things that were TERMS AND CONDITIONS rules a few weeks ago may not be relevant now.
Don't jump on the first offer because like a bus you may have missed, there is another one coming soon.
Peter