Refund needed from Lufthansa via Travel Agent

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 11, 2020
Hello! This is my first post here and thank you for taking the time to read.
We purchased close to $30K in airline tickets through a travel agent for Lufthansa flights. Due to Covid 19, the flights were cancelled over a month ago.
Our travel agent has requested a refund via email from Lufthansa but the airline has not issued it.
When I contacted the airline directly, they said that the Travel Agent had not contacted them and that I could only get a refund via my travel agent. They told me that the travel agent needs to call them.
Each time I contact the Travel Agent to inquire, he says 'he is working on it'.
Has anyone else ever had this experience and do you have any advice on how to get our money back from the airlines?

Note, this case is active in the Elliot.org advocacy department and I am looking for advice while I wait.

Thank you!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
What was your itinerary and did it involve a US destination? Where is your travel agent located?
You said the "flights were canceled". Did you cancel the flights or did the airline? We need this information to offer any useful advice.

The airlines are taking 30-90+ days to process refunds.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Call your agent and find out exactly where he is in the process. Tell him that you called Lufthansa and that they said your agent hasn't contacted them. Did he file for the refund or not? Your agent might have requested the refund but Lufthansa is taking a very long time for refunds. Many are taking up to 90 days.

Reactions: Patina

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Lufthansa has been taken over by the German Government as of May 25.
This will greatly complicate the process and may put refunds on indefinite hold or delay them for months. Lufthansa's priority will be staying in business and preserving capital.

Reactions: FrankL183
Nov 22, 2019
when you say travel agent, is it someone based in an office or someone from an OTA? I guess you booked business class ticket to reach the $30K so I am wondering if you book them through a traditional travel agency or an online one. More information will be welcomed.

Reactions: Patina

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Lufthansa has been taken over by the German Government as of May 25.
This will greatly complicate the process and may put refunds on indefinite hold or delay them for months. Lufthansa's priority will be staying in business and preserving capital.
Lufthansa has not been taken over by the German government despite the misleading headline. The German government will only own 20% of the airline after the bailout.

The bailout actually should make refunds faster and simpler. Since the airline is no longer at risk of bankruptcy, they must pay their existing obligations. Per US law, this includes their refund obligations for cancelled US flights.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Lufthansa has not been taken over by the German government despite the misleading headline. The German government will only own 20% of the airline after the bailout.

The bailout actually should make refunds faster and simpler. Since the airline is no longer at risk of bankruptcy, they must pay their existing obligations. Per US law, this includes their refund obligations for cancelled US flights.
The OP has not indicated their flight itinerary. We do not know if US law applies. We also do not know who canceled the flights.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree that you need to pin the travel agent down. If he is not immediately forthcoming, go over his head to the agency manager. If he tells you that the request was made on a certain date, ask for that in writing. While it's true that refunds are taking a very long time, you need to know right now if the request has been made and what the status is. If you paid for the tix by credit card, find out how long you have to file a dispute if it comes to that. No travel agent worth his salt will put a client off like this, it's very worrisome. Please let us know what transpires.

Reactions: FrankL183
Jun 11, 2020
What was your itinerary and did it involve a US destination? Where is your travel agent located?
You said the "flights were canceled". Did you cancel the flights or did the airline? We need this information to offer any useful advice.

Hi,
The flights were cancelled by the airline. It's been over 60 days. Travel was to Germany and Croatia. Travel agent is in San Diego.