Refund issue

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 2, 2017
Thank you jsn55, let me ask a dumb question about the credit. I bought the tickets in Dec 2016 to be used in June 2017, if I am able to get a year credit voucher, does that mean I have to fly before Dec 2017, or purchase the tickets in Dec 2017 and fly June 2018?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you jsn55, let me ask a dumb question about the credit. I bought the tickets in Dec 2016 to be used in June 2017, if I am able to get a year credit voucher, does that mean I have to fly before Dec 2017, or purchase the tickets in Dec 2017 and fly June 2018?
NOT a dumb question, Pat. I'm a little murky because I only fly United or Virgin Atlantic, but I've heard that travel has to be completed before the date of purchase. I'm sure my colleagues know the answer. For the record, it's a rule that really frosts me ... the airline has your money for six months and you're penalized because of an emergency? Ugh, grossly unfair, especially in the light of an illness that requires long-term treatment.

Reactions: VoR61
Jun 2, 2017
That is the issue since the doctors orders clearly state that she cannot travel for a year begining in May. How were you able to get it extended?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes the travel had to be completed by the date you bought the tickets.

The issue you have is that this company you bought from is very sketchy. I have never heard of a company that requires you to pay them first to do a refund. But you are stuck between a rock and a hard place because the airline will not deal with you because you bought the tickets from the agency.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
So now we can help you with an extension of the credit, as soon as you straighten it all out with the OTB and the airline and determine if you'll get a refund or a credit. You have your work cut out for you for several months, I'm afraid.

Jun 2, 2017
I think I am going to try to contact AF again to see if they are willing to give a 1 year voucher from the original date of travel and not issuance since I have documentation stating we cannot travel until June of next year. I hope this works.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Pat I agree with that strategy. Use our customer contacts
I think I am going to try to contact AF again to see if they are willing to give a 1 year voucher from the original date of travel and not issuance since I have documentation stating we cannot travel until June of next year. I hope this works.

Jun 2, 2017
I sent the EVP of Customer Relations and CEO an email on Friday stating that we need to fly a year after the beginning of treatment (May of this year) and got a response today and it states "I will be pleased to issue vouchers for the non-refundable amount of each tickets. These vouchers may be used to purchase tickets within one year from issue so that you may all travel after your wife has completed her therapy."
I have asked for clarification because to me, this seems like I need to purchase the tickets before the original issue date and that I can fly in June 2018 (a year after the original date of flight - which would be great). Are you guys reading this the same way as me? Thank you

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I understand it as the vouchers will expire one year from now......the date they are issuing the vouchers is now. What needs to be clarified is if you need to complete travel within the year or just need to book the tickets within the year for travel at a later date.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61
Jun 2, 2017
I know, thank you guys. I am pretty sure it means from now since the way it is worded and my detailed explanation about we need to wait a year. I am just hoping they respond to my email asking for clarification with that news about from now :)

Jun 2, 2017
Just got a call back to talk throught it and it was right. I am waiting on the email stating it as well. It is vouchers to be used to purchase within a year of today for future tickets (after a year from the purchase using the vouchers). Thank you everyone for your help.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Wonderful, wonderful! Good thoughts and wishes to you both for the coming year's challenges. If it works for you, obtain a credit card with travel insurance benes. Personally, I'm very happy with Chase Sapphire;s extra perks.