Refund from Orbitz

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 29, 2020
We bought three tickets on Orbitz on Uzbekistan Airlines from NY to Tashkent. The first two tickets, that were bought separately from the third one, were booked by Orbitz through Hanh Airlines. The third ticket was somehow booked through APG Airlines, even though all three tickets were for the same dates and flights. This flight was cancelled due to Covid19 back in March. The first two tickets booked through Hanh Airlines were refunded in full two months ago without any problems. But for the refund for the ticket on APG Airlines, we have been going in circles for months. This ticket was actually refundable even before Covid19 with a $150 penalty. But for some unknown reason Orbitz/APG divided this round trip ticket into two separate one way tickets, so at minimum the penalty would be $300 for the refund in normal circumstances, even without the Covid19 cancellation. However, I did not receive anything so far, even though they keep telling me that they will give me a full refund. I made many, many calls to Orbitz, sent emails, gave them my bank info (for some reason APG can't return money back to my CC account?) but it is not going anywhere. My numerous attempts to reach a supervisor all failed. I was told that Orbitz tried to reach APG airlines but was also unsuccessful. What should be done in this case and why was the ticket even sold through an airline company Orbitz can't even reach/contact while other tickets for the same flight were sold through a different airline?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is the problem booking on these sites- this is often how they save money but is a problem if there are cancellations. Were both one way flights canceled?

File a dispute with your cc company, one for each ticket.

Jun 29, 2020
Thank you. Initially only one flight was cancelled though the dates were in May.
I will file a dispute with my CC.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We bought three tickets on Orbitz on Uzbekistan Airlines from NY to Tashkent. The first two tickets, that were bought separately from the third one, were booked by Orbitz through Hanh Airlines. The third ticket was somehow booked through APG Airlines, even though all three tickets were for the same dates and flights. This flight was cancelled due to Covid19 back in March. The first two tickets booked through Hanh Airlines were refunded in full two months ago without any problems. But for the refund for the ticket on APG Airlines, we have been going in circles for months. This ticket was actually refundable even before Covid19 with a $150 penalty. But for some unknown reason Orbitz/APG divided this round trip ticket into two separate one way tickets, so at minimum the penalty would be $300 for the refund in normal circumstances, even without the Covid19 cancellation. However, I did not receive anything so far, even though they keep telling me that they will give me a full refund. I made many, many calls to Orbitz, sent emails, gave them my bank info (for some reason APG can't return money back to my CC account?) but it is not going anywhere. My numerous attempts to reach a supervisor all failed. I was told that Orbitz tried to reach APG airlines but was also unsuccessful. What should be done in this case and why was the ticket even sold through an airline company Orbitz can't even reach/contact while other tickets for the same flight were sold through a different airline?
So, some answers. The "third tix" was two o/w tix ... something you have to be careful of when using an online booking service. Orbitz is not a travel agency with any airline relationships, it's just a booking service that takes your money and hopes everything will go well. When there are problems, Orbitz has no customer service, as you have just painfully learned. Foreign airlines often will refund back into your bank account, advocates tell me that this is normal procedure and nothing to be alarmed about. I suspect that your refund is in process, but a CC dispute is not out of line after all you've done to retrieve your money. Who charged your CC? Were there two charges or just one for the two o/w tix? If there are two separate charges, it might be a little sticky to get the CC people to understand that ... normally they'd just assume that one was an erroneous charge. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.