• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Refund for upgrade

Nov 14, 2019
I just had a similar problem where my business class seat did not work on a flight. I tweeted Cathay Pacific during the flight to document it, I had 5 flight attendants working one it (took pictures of their name badges), and it did not work. I paid $5K for the seat and was so furious. The lead flight attendant suggested that the seat did not work because I was overweight which made me very angry. I ended up telling them to leave me alone for the rest of the flight as I did not want to go to jail for being insubordinate to a flight attendant. Fast forward, sent a note to Cathay Pacific and they offered me $300 in compensation which is crazy, I corresponded with Simon Large (their Director Customer) and they have now gone up to $600 in compensation. I feel ripped off -- plus they keep on telling me that the seat worked and that this is my fault because I did not know how to operate a seat. I have never experienced such poor customer service and have been insulted more times than i can count. They refuse to admit that the seat did not work and take responsibility. Any advice? I think the compensation is paltry.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
This is my summary of your experience
  • My Business Class seat did not work properly
  • A total of five (5) flight attendants worked on the problem
  • The lead flight attendant suggested the cause was because I was overweight
  • I have been offered $300 in compensation, which after speaking with Simon Large has been increased to $600
  • Upon appeal (thus far), I have been advised that this is my fault because I did not know how to operate the seat
I am reading that Business Class is about $3,000 more than Premium Economy. Assuming that is the case, I would agree that you should receive more. $1500-2000 seems reasonable to me. You were transported so a refund of 100% would be likely be denied.

I recommend that you appeal above Simon Large at this point. When you do, I strongly urge you to avoid words like:

made me very angry​
telling them to leave me alone​
which is crazy​
I feel ripped off​
poor customer service​
have been insulted more times than i can count​
They refuse to admit that the seat did not work and take responsibility​
the compensation is paltry​

Even if true, these are detractors from the simple issue with the seat, and could hurt your case if you include them in your emails.

* IMPORTANT: when you reach out to the corporate level *
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite and professional
Do not attach files - their email system may discard your email before anyone reads it
Do not start with the CEO - begin with the next person above Simon Large shown here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/cathay-pacific
Present a brief summary (list) and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is my summary of your experience
  • My Business Class seat did not work properly
  • A total of five (5) flight attendants worked on the problem
  • The lead flight attendant suggested the cause was because I was overweight
  • I have been offered $300 in compensation, which after speaking with Simon Large has been increased to $600
  • Upon appeal (thus far), I have been advised that this is my fault because I did not know how to operate the seat
I am reading that Business Class is about $3,000 more than Premium Economy. Assuming that is the case, I would agree that you should receive more. $1500-2000 seems reasonable to me. You were transported so a refund of 100% would be likely be denied.

I recommend that you appeal above Simon Large at this point. When you do, I strongly urge you to avoid words like:

made me very angry​
telling them to leave me alone​
which is crazy​
I feel ripped off​
poor customer service​
have been insulted more times than i can count​
They refuse to admit that the seat did not work and take responsibility​
the compensation is paltry​

Even if true, these are detractors from the simple issue with the seat, and could hurt your case if you include them in your emails.

* IMPORTANT: when you reach out to the corporate level *
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite and professional
Do not attach files - their email system may discard your email before anyone reads it
Do not start with the CEO - begin with the next person above Simon Large shown here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/cathay-pacific
Present a brief summary (list) and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level
If I could love this post, I would. Outstanding response.