Refund amount

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 23, 2020
in Feb, I booked a round trip flight for May 31- June 7 from CLT to Madrid for 3 persons. I have now been notified of that trip cancellation and prefer to get the refund for my 3 tickets. The total price I paid for each ticket was $1951.05; the cost breakdown was Fare-$1410; taxes and carrier-imposed fees-$541.05. The AA refund request form has the pre-set cost and refund amount as only the fare, $1410, which I assume is all I would get. I can find no information online about how the "refund" is defined. Is there any definition of what must be refunded in the event of a cancellation, either by law or regulation from the DOT? If so, how should I handle this refund if AA in fact intends to only give back the "fare" and not the other charges which it imposed?
I have spent a good bit of time trying to get confirmation from AA over the phone about their policies on the refund and was told that the full amount paid, not just the fare, is refunded, but the AA form does not support that.
If I choose to accept a "credit" from AA for these tickets, to be applied to future trips before Dec., 2021, does AA use the full paid amount for that or only the fare?
Thank you all for any help and clarification you may have.
Trish Pegram

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you book directly with AA and have they officially canceled your flight or are they just offering waivers? If they canceled the flight, you are due a full refund if you are in the US. Usually when a flight is canceled, the only thing people automatically get back are the taxes - but you are due a refund of everything if they canceled the flight.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Did you book directly with AA and have they officially canceled your flight or are they just offering waivers? If they canceled the flight, you are due a full refund if you are in the US. Usually when a flight is canceled, the only thing people automatically get back are the taxes - but you are due a refund of everything if they canceled the flight.
"I have now been notified of that trip cancellation"

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
in Feb, I booked a round trip flight for May 31- June 7 from CLT to Madrid for 3 persons. I have now been notified of that trip cancellation and prefer to get the refund for my 3 tickets. The total price I paid for each ticket was $1951.05; the cost breakdown was Fare-$1410; taxes and carrier-imposed fees-$541.05. The AA refund request form has the pre-set cost and refund amount as only the fare, $1410, which I assume is all I would get. I can find no information online about how the "refund" is defined. Is there any definition of what must be refunded in the event of a cancellation, either by law or regulation from the DOT? If so, how should I handle this refund if AA in fact intends to only give back the "fare" and not the other charges which it imposed?
I have spent a good bit of time trying to get confirmation from AA over the phone about their policies on the refund and was told that the full amount paid, not just the fare, is refunded, but the AA form does not support that.
If I choose to accept a "credit" from AA for these tickets, to be applied to future trips before Dec., 2021, does AA use the full paid amount for that or only the fare?
Thank you all for any help and clarification you may have.
Trish Pegram
What do you mean by "trip cancellation"? Have your flights actually been canceled, or has your land trip been canceled?

If your flights are actually canceled by AA you are due a refund of what you paid. If your land portion is canceled and your air travel is not yet canceled by AA, you should wait until the day before your flight to see if it is canceled by AA. If it is not canceled by AA then you will need to cancel and receive a voucher.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Since this is listed under American Airlines, I suspect the "trip" is the flight. But, I am making an assumption that I should not be doing!