Received four emails about delayed flight now out $388 plus

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 27, 2019
Hi, im so glad i found this forum. I purchased a roundtrip ticket through cheapoair with spirit airlines for around $155.00 roundtrip. All i wanted was all of my kids to be home fir Christmas. First part of trip went off without any problems, but yesterday on day departure that was scheduled to depart at 10:20pm had gotten delayed for two hours later. The delay nitice email was received at 8:16 pm, so kind of upset because now my saughter would get back two hours later and had work the next morning. My daughter gets dropped off two hours before her flight to check in check in for 12:20am flight and discovers that flight has already departed....hmm no agent at counter so im on phone with spirit airlines and they are telling me the flight is now leaving at 1135pm but there us no one there to check her in etc i then receive three more emails all with different times for this flight after the fact and my daughter has to purchase another one way ticket through another airlines to the tune of $388.85 per ticket to get home. Spirit is crediting me $103.29 with no regards or explanation besides weather to why they are not refunding our other ticket when they gave us wrong ng info and no one at airport. Help!!!

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The first delay notice says to arrive at the airport two hours before the original departure time even though there was a delay- which would have been 8:20 Pm, when she received the original email. Wasn’t she already at the airport? Had she been there two hours before the original flight, she wouldn’t have missed the flight.

A delayed flight can leave earlier if the reason for the delay is corrected. And that’s what happened.

This is not what you want to hear but she missed the flight because she didn’t arrive by 8:20 and they aren’t responsible for the cost of the new flight

Aug 29, 2015
I’m not sure I understand what happened.
It sounds like you received a notification that the flight was delayed and then ultimately it wasn’t?
if this is the case, that actually happens a lot. We get delay notifications all the time that end up being canceled.
The texts you posted all say to arrive two hours before the original departure time. So, if that was done, the flight should not have been missed.

Dec 19, 2014
But I don't understand. If your daughter arrived 2 hours before the 12:20am flight, she would have been there at 10:20PM. The flight did not depart until 11:39PM PST, so how could the flight have already left?

Spirit refunded you the flight segment, which is all they are legally obligated to do.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
But I don't understand. If your daughter arrived 2 hours before the 12:20am flight, she would have been there at 10:20PM. The flight did not depart until 11:39PM PST, so how could the flight have already left?

Spirit refunded you the flight segment, which is all they are legally obligated to do.
The notices said to arrive two hours before the original flight time of 10:20 pm- which means she should have arrived at 8:20 pm- the time she received the first text.

Apr 3, 2016
The notices said to arrive two hours before the original flight time of 10:20 pm- which means she should have arrived at 8:20 pm- the time she received the first text.
As Neil says, all the emails say to arrive 2 hours before the original scheduled time. Spirit probably only staffs the check in counter via this policy and checkin must be done no more that 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure time (according to their website). That means the staffing probably left by 950 (if not before). I do not know if she had luggage to check, but if she had checked in online (before 950)(so she had a boarding pass), she might have made the flight.

Reactions: VoR61
Apr 3, 2016
As Neil says, all the emails say to arrive 2 hours before the original scheduled time. Spirit probably only staffs the check in counter via this policy and checkin must be done no more that 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure time (according to their website). That means the staffing probably left by 950 (if not before). I do not know if she had luggage to check, but if she had checked in online (before 950)(so she had a boarding pass), she might have made the flight.
My mistake, boarding pass needs to be obtained (somperson must check in) 45 minutes (one hour for online) before original departure time. So for this flight, by 935 PM in person (or 920 online).

Reactions: Isabell Chong
Dec 27, 2019

We did not getvthe 1135!flight info until later, hypothetically speaking we did check in prior online but wiukd issues and we werevgoing off first email at 816pn nitice flight delayed until 12:20 all orher emaiks came after up until midnight with original flight info

Dec 27, 2019

Thats what we dont understand, she was atbthe airport snd no accommodations and had to purchase new flight

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What time did she get to the airport? She should have been at the airport by 8:20 according to the email- which is the time she received the email. That is two hours before the original flight time of 10:20 as per the instructions in the e-mail. Where was she when she received the e-mail? The fact she checked in online doesn’t make a difference. The email instructions do.

It sounds like she had the last flight of the day. The airline computers lock down between 45 minutes to an hour before the last flight is scheduled and no one can check in at that point- and the reservation agents go home after that. That’s why no one was there when she arrived.

We have company contacts on our company contact page you can try but Spirit would be able to
see what time the check in agents left.

May 7, 2019
Neil is absolutely correct. If our OP’s daughter was at the airport 2 hours before the originally scheduled flight time, the airline’s lack of staff at the airport would be shocking. It’s highly unlikely that happened.

Sep 12, 2015
Yes, I understand that the notification said the OP should arrive 2 hours before the ORIGINALLY scheduled flight. But then what's the point of getting a notification, if the information received isn't really actionable?

If the notification had said that the flight was CANCELLED, should the OP have STILL driven all the way to the airport... just in case the computer was wrong, or the flight got UNcancelled?

If the airlines want you to be at the gate in time for the original flight, perhaps they should wait until you get there to tell you about a "potential" change.

As an aside -- instead of trusting the technology and using it to inform her decisions, maybe the OP should have called the airline and spoken to a real live person? Oh wait.... the Korean Air poster on another thread did exactly that (called multiple times!), and some people on that thread criticized her for trusting various authorized representatives instead of what she read on the KAL website.

May 7, 2019
Yes, I understand that the notification said the OP should arrive 2 hours before the ORIGINALLY scheduled flight. But then what's the point of getting a notification, if the information received isn't really actionable?

If the notification had said that the flight was CANCELLED, should the OP have STILL driven all the way to the airport... just in case the computer was wrong, or the flight got UNcancelled?

If the airlines want you to be at the gate in time for the original flight, perhaps they should wait until you get there to tell you about a "potential" change.

As an aside -- instead of trusting the technology and using it to inform her decisions, maybe the OP should have called the airline and spoken to a real live person? Oh wait.... the Korean Air poster on another thread did exactly that (called multiple times!), and some people on that thread criticized her for trusting various authorized representatives instead of what she read on the KAL website.
Cancellation is different. Canceled means canceled.

The delay notifiers you know there may be a wait at the airport and also to be prepared to make alternative arrangements for any connecting flights that might be affected. It’s good to be aware of the potential delay and, if the delay doesn’t actually materialize, so much the better.

May 7, 2019
Cancellation is different. Canceled means canceled.

The delay notifies you that there may be a wait at the airport and also to be prepared to make alternative arrangements for any connecting flights that might be affected. It’s good to be aware of the potential delay and, if the delay doesn’t actually materialize, so much the better.

Reactions: Bill___A

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

As James said- the flight wasn’t canceled - it was delayed. You are talking about two totally different scenarios. And this is also totally different than the other thread but if that other poster had gone by the email they received and not what the phone rep. told them they wouldn’t have missed their flight.

In both cases the emails were correct.

Reactions: Bill___A
Apr 3, 2016

Although a flight is delayed, usually the checkin requirements do not. You still need to check in/check luggage based upon the original scheduled flight time. This has to do with the fact that delay times are estimates and can change fast (the OPs emails from Spirit actually say this). If the opportunity opens up to leave sooner, the airline will so they need everyone checked in. This is also why they often announce not to wander far from the gate and to keep checking the monitors/app during a delay. If things change, they load the flight ASAP and leave (Sometimes without people who have left the gate area for too long).

Feb 21, 2018
To add to what the seasoned travelers here have already said, when there is a stated delay you cannot just assume that the delay will 'hold'. You really should use the original flight time as your guide to getting to the airport AND remaining near the scheduled gate.

Earlier this year I was scheduled to fly to Atlanta from Philadelphia on a day when snow was wreaking havoc with schedules. It wasn't too awful in Philly, but the Midwest was getting a lot of snow. The inbound flight scheduled to get us to Atlanta was delayed about 30 minutes - finally arrived, but the issue we had was the crew due to fly us to Atlanta was delayed coming in from Minneapolis. AA put the flight on a 90 minute delay and we watched passengers scatter to food venues elsewhere in the terminal to get lunch. Just 15 minutes later, they announced the start of boarding - they decided the crew that flew the plane to PHL would now fly us to Atlanta instead of the original crew. There were people who missed that flight because they left the boarding area.

Two months ago, similar situation with a flight I was waiting on to Buffalo. Received a text about a one hour delay while at home, but still headed to the airport at my usual time. At some point between leaving the house and arriving at the airport, the delay disappeared and we boarded/left on time.

Dec 27, 2019

Chris, she was at the airport two hours prior to the 1220 flt and sge also tried to check in online and that’s when no one was at the counter so no way to get to check her bag and get boarding pass. I was also on the phone with people at a call center in the philippines no help there were informjng us anout the 1135!flt but no way to get thru baggage check and gate.

Dec 19, 2014
Chris, she was at the airport two hours prior to the 1220 flt and sge also tried to check in online and that’s when no one was at the counter so no way to get to check her bag and get boarding pass. I was also on the phone with people at a call center in the philippines no help there were informjng us anout the 1135!flt but no way to get thru baggage check and gate.
Contrary to some of the other advocates, I don't think this is exclusively your fault.

Spirit's own website states that the ticket counter should be open until 10:30PM, though for a domestic flight, the check-in will cut off 45 minutes prior to departure. Unfortunately 45 minutes prior to departure is the original flight time, which in your case was 9:35PM. As others have said, Spirit is updating you with potential delays to help plan for arrival information, but these things are fluid and can change, forward or backwards.

Had she been at the airport by 8:20PM, the notification would have been a moot point. She would have been checked in and at the airport waiting.

Spirit must have acknowledged that there was a communication error because they refunded you the flight segment. Spirit is NOT going to pay for consequential damages (ie the cost of your new flight), so effectively, you're done with any further compensation. You can pursue this with the executive contact list if you choose, but your outcome will not change.

Reactions: VoR61 and Patina