Real ID

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Why does Home Security have anthing to do with rernewing a DL in PA?
I'm sure there are millions of Americans asking the same question. It's a new federal Homeland Security "requirement" that (I believe) states who don't ask enough questions when you obtain a DL are flooding the airways with people who may or may not be dangerous to ... well, to homeland security. I remember deciding to use my maiden name as my middle name when I first moved to California (women's lib y'know); the state just processed my DL renewal in January with no questions or ID requirements. I'm sure there are people getting exercised about the fed vs state rights thing. The rest of us just want to do what's required, at the least cost, so we don't have to carry our passports on domestic flights.

Last edited:

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Real ID is not new. They have been planning to fully implement for years. But the state legislatures kept screwing around.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_ID_Act
And they kept granting extensions! Not gonna happen any more. I’m from Oregon and Real
iD is still in the planning stages. I have a Passport Card and Global Entry Card. When renewing my PP I got the card because Oregon will likely miss the deadline. Idiots run this state!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
And they kept granting extensions! Not gonna happen any more. I’m from Oregon and Real
iD is still in the planning stages. I have a Passport Card and Global Entry Card. When renewing my PP I got the card because Oregon will likely miss the deadline. Idiots run this state!
That’s correct and the government finally put their foot down. There are still four or five states that don’t have the required licenses available and they have had more than enough time to get in compliance.

And you have states like NY who have an enhanced license as an option and people in NY don’t realize that if they don’t upgrade to the enhanced, they will need a passport to fly domestically next year.

Reactions: VoR61
Mar 18, 2019
And you have states like NY who have an enhanced license as an option and people in NY don’t realize that if they don’t upgrade to the enhanced, they will need a passport to fly domestically next year.
Honestly, this is probably the right compromise between States' rights and Federal security standards. The problem is they really skimped on the marketing campaign and that's going to really hurt infrequent travelers... =(

Reactions: Neil Maley

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Honestly, this is probably the right compromise between States' rights and Federal security standards. The problem is they really skimped on the marketing campaign and that's going to really hurt infrequent travelers... =(
Exactly. Here in NY there are signs all over the airports but if you don’t read them now, you won’t know about it when it happens.

I would imagine there is going to be a big publicity campaign beginning next year before it goes into effect.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61
Jun 24, 2019
Exactly. Here in NY there are signs all over the airports but if you don’t read them now, you won’t know about it when it happens.

I would imagine there is going to be a big publicity campaign beginning next year before it goes into effect.
And then after it goes into effect there will be an upswing in the number of folks who show up at sites like this or who write in to the travel editor and report that they went to the airport for a short flight and were turned away for not having the right ID. And it was a non-refundable ticket. And even though they went home, got a compliant ID (passport, for example), and bought a new outbound ticket, they discovered that their return flight ticket was cancelled, and they had to buy a new return flight.

Mar 18, 2019
And then after it goes into effect there will be an upswing in the number of folks who show up at sites like this or who write in to the travel editor and report that they went to the airport for a short flight and were turned away for not having the right ID. And it was a non-refundable ticket. And even though they went home, got a compliant ID (passport, for example), and bought a new outbound ticket, they discovered that their return flight ticket was cancelled, and they had to buy a new return flight.
These forums need an "angry" reaction... =)

Reactions: jsn55
Jun 24, 2019
I'm old enough to remember the days of the Eastern Airlines Shuttle. You lined up at LaGuardia or Washington National (now Reagan) and got on. No ticket. No boarding pass. No security. No reservation. No ID. After take-off, the stewardess (there were no stewards) would role a cart down the aisle and collect the fare. I paid by GTR (government travel requisition), but if you paid in cash there was no record you had ever been on the plane. If the plane was full there was a chance the stewardesses would not be done by the time you got to destination airspace, and the plane would circle until everyone paid.

Mar 18, 2019
I'm old enough to remember the days of the Eastern Airlines Shuttle. You lined up at LaGuardia or Washington National (now Reagan) and got on. No ticket. No boarding pass. No security. No reservation. No ID. After take-off, the stewardess (there were no stewards) would role a cart down the aisle and collect the fare. I paid by GTR (government travel requisition), but if you paid in cash there was no record you had ever been on the plane. If the plane was full there was a chance the stewardesses would not be done by the time you got to destination airspace, and the plane would circle until everyone paid.
That's awesome! And here I was thinking I was old because I remember the days when USA3000 flew from Florida to Pennsylvania and they didn't have computers at check in, they had a box of pre-printed boarding passes in alphabetical order and needed to find your name in the box...

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Holy mackerel! I used to fly PSA which ran up and down the California coast. We had books of vouchers in the office and just used one whenever we needed to fly. The idea that the plane would circle until everyone paid is hilarious!

Aug 29, 2018
Not only that, but if they hadmore passengers than seats, they'd bring out another aircraft. I once got to fly solo EWR-DCA because of that.

Reactions: Neil Maley