Real ID

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 18, 2019
Having been alerted to various frustrations in obtaining the compliant DL in Ohio, and not knowing where my SS card is hiding, I took a bunch of identifiers including page 1 of my last tax return showing SS# and address, utility bill, auto insurance card, and passport. And old license, of course. Zipped through greased!
You know, if you're a US citizen you can go onto the SSA's website and simply order a new card for free... Only took about a week for me to get mine and it was super easy and convenient...

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
I'm glad Minnesota legislators finally wised (wose? :)) up and abandoned their heads-in-the-sand argument about states rights. Sure, they didn't have to comply, but it would have cost their citizens the ability to use almost all federally-controlled facilities, including flying.

Aug 17, 2019
They set the requirements for Real ID: see https://www.dhs.gov/real-id
Beats me. Apparently they set the guidelines. When I went in the first time my marriage certificate was valid but birth certificate wasn’t. I’m 66...used it all my life and it was valid. Went directly to Pa representative and filed for new certified birth certificate. It arrived 8 days later. The next day went to DMV and the marriage license wasn’t valid anymore. The guy who was in there the first time was there again and I told them he told me it was good 9 days ago. Nope, not according to Homeland Security. So I renewed my DL because it had expired waiting for the birth certificate. I looked on the website and if I get the Real ID they will renew my license again, I don’t have a choice, and I have to pay the fee again. It will be good for 8 years but I don’t want to dish out that money! The people in the back said I just pay the fee again but the guy who takes the pictures said I don’t. They don’t know what the heck they are doing!
Thanks for letting me vent. My husband and I decided to get a passport. He will never fly but we may go to Canada.

Jan 5, 2019
Simple solution- get a US passport. It is good for 10 years and can be used as ID for ALL purposes. Keep your current license until it expires.
I'm confused (not unusual for me) by your answer. Per DHS website and everything I've read: "The purposes covered by the (REAL ID) Act are: accessing Federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and, boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft." A US passport will not allow me to fly within US (where all aircraft and airports are federally-regulated) nor allow me to visit my grandson on his Army base. So I don't think a Passport can substitute for a REAL ID.

Reactions: VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm confused (not unusual for me) by your answer. Per DHS website and everything I've read: "The purposes covered by the (REAL ID) Act are: accessing Federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and, boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft." A US passport will not allow me to fly within US (where all aircraft and airports are federally-regulated) nor allow me to visit my grandson on his Army base. So I don't think a Passport can substitute for a REAL ID.
A passport certainly does allow you to use it as ID for a domestic flight. A passport is the gold standard and can be used as one piece of the identity you need to obtain REAL ID if you are a US Citizen.

I am not sure where you got the information that it can’t be used to fly domestically but that is incorrect. If you reside in a state the doesn’t have complaint licenses that are enhanced or your state offers a choice of the type of drivers license you want (such as NY for example)and you do not opt for an enhanced license you will need a passport to fly domestically once REAL ID kicks in.

This is the website that tells you that:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
This information is completely incorrect. I am in SFO flying from ANC to BDL with my passport as my only ID.
A passport will serve as the only ID you need (except for a traffic violation, then you need a DL).

Mar 18, 2019
A US passport does meet the DHS standards for a REAL ID, therefore, a US passport can be used for all purposes covered by the REAL ID act.

Jan 5, 2019
A passport certainly does allow you to use it as ID for a domestic flight. A passport is the gold standard and can be used as one piece of the identity you need to obtain REAL ID if you are a US Citizen.

I am not sure where you got the information that it can’t be used to fly domestically but that is incorrect. If you reside in a state the doesn’t have complaint licenses that are enhanced or your state offers a choice of the type of drivers license you want (such as NY for example)and you do not opt for an enhanced license you will need a passport to fly domestically once REAL ID kicks in.

This is the website that tells you that:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification
Thank you
This information is completely incorrect. I am in SFO flying from ANC to BDL with my passport as my only ID.
A passport will serve as the only ID you need (except for a traffic violation, then you need a DL).
Thank you - so I only need my Passport and not a REAL ID to visit a US Military Base? My drivers license expires in a couple of months. Guess I'll ask for a REAL ID just in case. California was late to comply with the TSA REAL ID requirements - so maybe that's where I got my misinformation.

Mar 18, 2019
Thank you

Thank you - so I only need my Passport and not a REAL ID to visit a US Military Base? My drivers license expires in a couple of months. Guess I'll ask for a REAL ID just in case. California was late to comply with the TSA REAL ID requirements - so maybe that's where I got my misinformation.
To access a military base, you will need to have REAL ID compliant identification.

Your passport *IS* REAL ID compliant, and qualifies for that purpose. If you want your California driver's license to meet the REAL ID standards, then you'll need to provide the required documentation and then California will issue you an ID which is *also* REAL ID compliant.

Mar 18, 2019
There's probably a Venn diagram that could make this easier to explain if someone has more graphics skills than I do... =)

===========================

A state ID is a card that is issued to you that proves that the state believes you to be the person identified.

A driver's license is a state ID card that also allows you to drive a motor vehicle.

A REAL ID is a card that is issued to you that proves that the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT believes you to be the person identified.

===========================

Federal government issued photo identification is, for the most part, REAL ID compliant. That includes military IDs, passports, department ID cards, etc.

State issued photo identification can become REAL ID compliant, IF: (1) the state requires certain specific documentation in accordance with DHS guidelines AND (2) DHS has certified that the state meets the REAL ID requirements.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A regular license will not longer be acceptable to access a military base- you must have something that complies with REAL ID, which is either an enhanced license, passport or other compliant ID.

What State are you in? If you license expired in a few months and you live in a state that offers an enhanced license- apply for the enhanced.

From the military website:

“These states, Illinois, Missouri, New Mexico, as well as IDs from American Samoa, are no longer a valid form of identification for individuals who need to gain access to federal facilities. Non-enhanced licenses from Minnesota or Washington also are no longer accepted, the officials said. Enhanced IDs are available in Minnesota and Washington for an additional fee, and are labeled with “Enhanced Driver’s License” or “Enhanced Identification Card”.

https://themilitarywallet.com/real-id-act-some-state-ids-not-valid-for-base-entry/

Reactions: LindyBee and VoR61
Dec 20, 2018
Having been alerted to various frustrations in obtaining the compliant DL in Ohio, and not knowing where my SS card is hiding, I took a bunch of identifiers including page 1 of my last tax return showing SS# and address, utility bill, auto insurance card, and passport. And old license, of course. Zipped through greased!
I'm in Ohio too, and couldn't get the Real ID because I had a certified printout of my SSN from a SSA office, rather than the actual card. The SSA office I went to a few years ago, when I lost my card, would only give printouts. I was told to get another card and come back. I didn't want to have to miss work to go back to the SSA.

I'll just use my passport card. I got the card instead of the book a few years back, when I took a cruise, because it was much cheaper, and I never fly out of the country. It was definitely easier to get than the Real ID.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm in Ohio too, and couldn't get the Real ID because I had a certified printout of my SSN from a SSA office, rather than the actual card. The SSA office I went to a few years ago, when I lost my card, would only give printouts. I was told to get another card and come back. I didn't want to have to miss work to go back to the SSA.

I'll just use my passport card. I got the card instead of the book a few years back, when I took a cruise, because it was much cheaper, and I never fly out of the country. It was definitely easier to get than the Real ID.
You can order a new card online and have it mailed

Reactions: FrankL183 and VoR61