PriceLine Hotel Refund Dispute

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 18, 2019
I am not surprised of my own situation with Priceline.com after reading these posts. I booked (2) rooms for (2) nights online with Priceline.com on December 7, 2019 in Ft Smith, AR for 6 stranded family members with no money for hotels or food. The reservation I selected said "Free Cancellation". Just as soon as I received the confirmation(2:41 PM) the family members decided to sleep in their vehicles so they could use money for food and essentials. I cancelled the reservation immediately (2:44 PM) (within 5 minute of booking) using the link on the reservation confirmation. I immediately received a confirmation that the reservations for cancelled. When I didn't receive a refund after 9 days I called the number on the cancellation confirmation only to be told they couldn't find the reservation or cancellation. The number I called was answered by Agoda, not Priceline. They switched me to Priceline that found both but said they couldn't help me with the refund that I had to talk with Agoda because they had my credit card information and amount paid. They switched me back to Agoda and I spoke with Sakti that said they had no evidence of it being cancelled and I would have to send proof. He provided me with an email address to send this cancellation confirmation to him. I could tell from his tone and unwillingness to help me on the phone from the beginning that this would not work out well for me. Just as soon as a emailed him proof, I received a canned response stating that it wasn't cancelled within their guidelines and I would be charged for the full reservation. The booking site clearly said "Free Cancellation" and I have the Cancellation Confirmation. I have made repeated requests for someone from Priceline to call me but no response. I've contacted my bank to file a dispute but from looking at the above I don't have a lot of confidence in that happening either. What can I do. This is such an unethical and dishonest way to do business. I was desepartly trying to help my stranded family and these folks are taking advantage of holding the upper hand.

Edited by a moderator to move to new thread

Last edited by a moderator:

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I am not surprised of my own situation with Priceline.com after reading these posts. I booked (2) rooms for (2) nights online with Priceline.com on December 7, 2019 in Ft Smith, AR for 6 stranded family members with no money for hotels or food. The reservation I selected said "Free Cancellation". Just as soon as I received the confirmation(2:41 PM) the family members decided to sleep in their vehicles so they could use money for food and essentials. I cancelled the reservation immediately (2:44 PM) (within 5 minute of booking) using the link on the reservation confirmation. I immediately received a confirmation that the reservations for cancelled. When I didn't receive a refund after 9 days I called the number on the cancellation confirmation only to be told they couldn't find the reservation or cancellation. The number I called was answered by Agoda, not Priceline. They switched me to Priceline that found both but said they couldn't help me with the refund that I had to talk with Agoda because they had my credit card information and amount paid. They switched me back to Agoda and I spoke with Sakti that said they had no evidence of it being cancelled and I would have to send proof. He provided me with an email address to send this cancellation confirmation to him. I could tell from his tone and unwillingness to help me on the phone from the beginning that this would not work out well for me. Just as soon as a emailed him proof, I received a canned response stating that it wasn't cancelled within their guidelines and I would be charged for the full reservation. The booking site clearly said "Free Cancellation" and I have the Cancellation Confirmation. I have made repeated requests for someone from Priceline to call me but no response. I've contacted my bank to file a dispute but from looking at the above I don't have a lot of confidence in that happening either. What can I do. This is such an unethical and dishonest way to do business. I was desepartly trying to help my stranded family and these folks are taking advantage of holding the upper hand.
Do you have the cancellation confirmation in writing? If so it may be time to stop wasting your time and just dispute the charge. Be sure and provide your written proof that the reservation had a Free Cancellation and the your reservation was Confirmed in writing as cancelled.
I do not believe in CC disputes being a good choice but you are getting the run around and disputing a charge has a small window.
All disputes must be done in writing.

May 1, 2018
This thread is over two years old. You should make a new post to discuss your specific issue.

May 1, 2018
Seems that moderator moved this to a new thread. Please ignore my comment above.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you have the cancellation confirmation in writing? If so it may be time to stop wasting your time and just dispute the charge. Be sure and provide your written proof that the reservation had a Free Cancellation and the your reservation was Confirmed in writing as cancelled.
I do not believe in CC disputes being a good choice but you are getting the run around and disputing a charge has a small window.
All disputes must be done in writing.
What hotel was it?

What does your confirmation say in the confirmation about the cancellation policy? Did you book the night they were supposed to stay or a few days in advance? Free cancellation is usually up at a certain time a day or two before arrival. Or by a certain time on the day on the day of stay.

I am trying to recreate a booking and for the one hotel I see that says “free cancellation”, this is noted on the page- “choose a room with free cancellation for maximum flexibility”. When I choose the free cancellation room, the cancellation must be by 1:59 pm. Did you book the room after the free cancellation period ended?

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Do you have any proof, like a screen shot that the reservation was fully refundable? Did you receive an email confirmation after you booked?

Jul 13, 2016
I agree with Neil. Most hotels that offer a free cancellation have a time and date listed as to when the room must be canceled at no charge. Before you file that cc dispute, carefully read the cancellation policy to see if you canceled within the parameters. If you missed the deadline, then the credit card company will deny your claim.

Reactions: VoR61 and BittyBoo