Permanently banned from Airbnb???

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 25, 2020
I saw an article published last year in the Chicago Tribune, related to Airbnb banning someone. I am currently going through the same thing. I signed up and made a reservation, everything went through and I'm currently staying at the place. They accepted my ID, my payment method and confirmed my reservation. I wanted to extend my stay, but when I went on the app it said my account had been permanently disabled for "security reasons". They didn't provide an explanation and now I'm basically stranded until I can figure out a way to fix this. I've tried contacting their customer service but they "don't know" anything and keep referring me to different departments, they send me communications via the app's inbox which I can't access. I'm writing this because I saw that you were able to contact Airbnb on that person's behalf and got the account back. I'm really desperate and need to make the new reservation before this one ends in a few days. I really don't have anywhere else to stay. Please, help me!!

Attachments

Nov 22, 2019
"decision to kick you out of the airbnb community". That's strange language used. Is it an email directly from AirBnB?
Did you contact the owner of the place to know if the issue comes from him?
Is your ID and payment at the same name? Accepted at first doesn't mean it will not be reviewed later and flagged.

May 25, 2020
"decision to kick you out of the airbnb community". That's strange language used. Is it an email directly from AirBnB?
Did you contact the owner of the place to know if the issue comes from him?
Is your ID and payment at the same name? Accepted at first doesn't mean it will not be reviewed later and flagged.
Hi! Yes, the email did come directly from AirBnB. I contacted the host and they said they didn't have any issues on their end. My ID and payment method are both under my name. I even tried to make a different account, but they blocked that one too, so the "you can't make another one" part is very real. I just don't get how this would happen...

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Good catch. This doesn't read like it comes from Airbnb. I think it's either a phishing attempt or the account has been hacked. This would also explain why Airbnb doesn't know anything.

Montespaolo, I suggest you contact Airbnb Trust and Security to see if they can restore your access.

May 25, 2020
Good catch. This doesn't read like it comes from Airbnb. I think it's either a phishing attempt or the account has been hacked. This would also explain why Airbnb doesn't know anything.

Montespaolo, I suggest you contact Airbnb Trust and Security to see if they can restore your access.
But it did come from them though. I'll include an attachment with the sender's email address

Attachments

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Hi! Yes, the email did come directly from AirBnB. I contacted the host and they said they didn't have any issues on their end. My ID and payment method are both under my name. I even tried to make a different account, but they blocked that one too, so the "you can't make another one" part is very real. I just don't get how this would happen...
Did you try to reset your password?

Feb 3, 2017
I agree, that language is really very strange - if you are own Twitter, you might just ask them if that is the sort of language they use or if it is not a legit message - https://twitter.com/Airbnb/with_replies

Maybe you can clear your internet cookies and sign in again - seems to very peculiar they would use such terms to inform you the account is disabled.

Reactions: Pixie Pie and jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Meanwhile, can you work out something directly with the owner? It's not like there are other people eager to stay there, so s/he will probably appreciate you extending. Document everything and create an "audit trail" in case you ever need to prove to Abb that you tried to go through them for the extension. Good luck, and please let us know what transpires.

Reactions: VISERENDIPITY
Jul 13, 2016
Did you re-set your password through any link in the suspicious email? The safest way to log in to any account is to open a new browser window and go to the site, rather than use a convenient link in an email.
If you clicked through any link in the above email, then I suspect the hackers now have access to your computer and all your stored passwords.

Sep 23, 2019
I suggest you contact Airbnb Trust and Security to see if they can restore your access.
unfortunately if you go to the "help" page reference (article 432 in the link you posted) it is a real page about "Can my Account be Deactivated?" with this caveat in the terms:
"You may not be able to access the platform, your account or content, or receive assistance from Airbnb Community Support"

Also, the very odd "kicked out of the community" wording is...odd as pointed out by others.
Normally I would expect that they would use terms like "deactivated" or "suspended".
So something is up with that. What I cannot say though.

What date range did you book this for and how far in advance did you make the booking?

As a Host that lists on both AirBnB and VRBO I have heard many tales over the years by other Hosts about Guests that were "banned" from the platform, only to come back after simply creating a new account with a new email and credit card.
If you tried to create a new account using your ORIGINAL email, phone and credit card, that might explain some of this.
Also- it is possible that AirBnB is cracking down on illegal activity in a different way now and you may have been caught up in the changes somehow.
It is possible that your credit card got flagged for suspicious or fraudulent activity elsewhere even if it was not your fault. If your card payment account was compromised, it might have allowed you to book originally, but now it is not worth the risk for them? I can't say.

While I have not experienced it, I have seen many AirBnB Hosts posting screenshots recently that were sent to them by Guests saying they were not allowed to book for some unexplained reason, and perhaps they should look at a Hotel instead. Hosts trying to figure this out think it is related to Guests under 25 trying to book a Whole Home on a weekend for 1-2 days.
I have NOT seen a screenshot like the one you posted though.

Dec 19, 2014
The language in the OPs original post is strange and is not standard.

The language AirBnB uses is as follows:
"We regret to inform you that we'll be unable to support your account moving forward, and have exercised our discretion under our Terms of Service to disable your account(s). This decision is irreversible and will affect any duplicated or future accounts.

Please understand that we are not obligated to provide an explanation for the action taken against your account. Furthermore, we are not liable to you in any way with respect to disabling or canceling your account. Airbnb reserves the right to make the final determination with respect to such matters, and this decision will not be reversed."

"kicked out" is a non-standard term, which makes me question the authenticity of the letter.
"unable the support your account" is what AirBnB uses, and something that would pass the legal team.

At the end of the day, travel existed before AirBnB, and even without AirBnB, there are many many many options to secure lodging. If you choose to appeal to AirBnB, it is not a process that can be done instantaneously.