Perfect Example of Why You Should Consider Travel Insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A friend of ours was on this ship and witnessed this evacuation. Do you know the average cost for this type of emergency evacuation? $72,000.

This is why you should always consider travel insurance with emergency evacuation coverage. Unless you have that kind of cash hanging around to pay the bill.

http://wavy.com/2017/02/18/75-year-old-woman-hoisted-from-cruise-ship/

John Galbraith

Staff Member
Advocate
Director
Jan 22, 2017
Poole
Sadly as we all know a lot of people don't buy insurance; As a result it seems that in the UK we are having more and more people having to use social media (via crowdfunding) to try and raise funds to get home. They end up with injury such as the one Neil highlights and they can not afford to pay the bill so they are stuck on "holiday." I feel sorry for them but I am not keen on contributing. The really sad cases are such as the one below when the person dies, on holiday without insurance, and the family have to try and use crowdfunding to get the person's body home.

http://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/n...o-bring-dad-s-body-home-from-abroad-1-8392636

We can only keep reminding people in the hope the message starts to get through.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
$400 annually to cover two married people for emergency evacuation anywhere more than 150 miles from home. They'll also bring you home if you don't make it. The old saw "I didn't buy insurance because I never get sick" is naive ... I'm sure that's what I said 20 years ago when I didn't know any better. I believe that if your budget is so tight as to make $400 a problem, you'd best not be travelling anywhere. Having a medical emergency in Paris is a horrendous experience, even with the emergency coverage.

Reactions: John Galbraith

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
For folks that don't travel a lot a one time full insurance policy usually for fees evacuation and medical also. An annual policy that only covers emergency evac and not full cancellation may not work for everyone.

Oct 10, 2016
Huntley, IL
I would not step one foot out of the country without travel insurance. My biggest concern is not getting sick, but needing evacuation. When we go to Canada or Mexico, I buy the basic plan, as it is close to the States in emergency evac is needed. But overseas, I buy the plan that is one level up. I was in Japan and fractured my femur. I was in the hospital for 8 days, and had surgery. The bill was 3,700,000 yen or about $12,000. When I was released, I was flown home with my husband. It was not an emergency evac, but they flew me home business class with a nurse. My ticket without the nurse would have been $5,100, and my husband's coach ticket would have been $3,900, as they were both last minute purchases. I don't know what the nurse cost, but I was glad he was there. He got us to the head of every line and right to the rehab center.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am currently in Africa on a Safari and if there was ever a trip you needed evacuation insurance on, this is the place. Plus the doctors in Nairobi hospitals are on strike and if you got sick here you would need to be taken out as soon as possible. The roads are so bad in the parks and the sheer size of this country would be disaster if something serious happened while traveling.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I would not step one foot out of the country without travel insurance. My biggest concern is not getting sick, but needing evacuation. When we go to Canada or Mexico, I buy the basic plan, as it is close to the States in emergency evac is needed. But overseas, I buy the plan that is one level up. I was in Japan and fractured my femur. I was in the hospital for 8 days, and had surgery. The bill was 3,700,000 yen or about $12,000. When I was released, I was flown home with my husband. It was not an emergency evac, but they flew me home business class with a nurse. My ticket without the nurse would have been $5,100, and my husband's coach ticket would have been $3,900, as they were both last minute purchases. I don't know what the nurse cost, but I was glad he was there. He got us to the head of every line and right to the rehab center.
SKRoot, so happy to read that you had coverage for a medical disaster. Having a nurse accompany you is beyond comforting, and it was fun zipping all around and never waiting in line at CDG.

I was trying to find the link to a post I did in the autumn of 2015 when my husband broke his hip in Paris because I thought you'd get a kick out of reading it, but I can't find it.

John Galbraith

Staff Member
Advocate
Director
Jan 22, 2017
Poole
SKRoot, so happy to read that you had coverage for a medical disaster. Having a nurse accompany you is beyond comforting, and it was fun zipping all around and never waiting in line at CDG.

I was trying to find the link to a post I did in the autumn of 2015 when my husband broke his hip in Paris because I thought you'd get a kick out of reading it, but I can't find it.
Hi Jsn.

Is this the link?

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/think-you-don’t-need-insurance-when-you-travel.1622/#post-12922