PayPal Limitation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 30, 2019
To the OP (Original Poster, AKA @Justice League):

The term 'limitation' is referenced on some PP websites such as these:

Are you or your son currently or recently using PP for selling products, perhaps on eBay? I'm asking because you mentioned your rating on eBay a couple times, which could be both as Buyer and Seller, and most of the knowledge I of have of PP limitations comes from hearing about selling experiences.

Here are some other potentially useful links:

Keep in mind that PP has no legal obligation to do business with you, and they have the right to limit your account based on activity they see outside of PP. Harsh, yes. Sad, yes. But true, yes. So, when appealing for the limitation to be unlocked, you need to be patient, stick to the facts, and be politely persistent.

Hope this helps.

• Love
Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61
Feb 3, 2020
My gut also suspects that this has to do with your son's multiple claims rather than your single one. This is unfortunately what can happen when you share an account, whether that be a credit card, a rental agreement or an online account with someone else: sometimes you get dinged because of their infractions.

I'm wondering whether, if you explain this to Paypal, they might let you open a new account separate from your son's. They may not be able to distinguish which of you made the troublesome purchases/claims and they may say no. Maybe they can since it sounds to me that though you were using the same PP account, you have separate ebay accounts.

PP may also choose to be hard-line about this and say that in these situations, you are still responsible for whatever goes on with your account.

It's worth a try.

Reactions: jsn55
Feb 12, 2020
My gut also suspects that this has to do with your son's multiple claims rather than your single one. This is unfortunately what can happen when you share an account, whether that be a credit card, a rental agreement or an online account with someone else: sometimes you get dinged because of their infractions.

I'm wondering whether, if you explain this to Paypal, they might let you open a new account separate from your son's. They may not be able to distinguish which of you made the troublesome purchases/claims and they may say no. Maybe they can since it sounds to me that though you were using the same PP account, you have separate ebay accounts.

PP may also choose to be hard-line about this and say that in these situations, you are still responsible for whatever goes on with your account.

It's worth a try.
Thanks for your comment CM. The silly part is that My son and I have separate accounts. The only thing we have in common is our Address. After countless calls to PP and sending a letter to the PP legal dept. in California (As advised by PP customer support) I am no further ahead. I still have no idea why I have been Limited for life. I would recommend to anyone having multiple accounts with the same address to distinguish the accounts somehow. Maybe add something like 225 Main st. "Apt B". ?? and never use someone elses computer to access your account even to just check it. I never ever did that but am just thinking of the various ways they can tie ones account to someone elses account. I am more worried for young folks as we are moving to an E-Commerce economy and how Large Corporations like PP can do things like this without explanation. Surely this will put them at a disadvantage for ever. The world is becoming a very complicated place and young folk are under tremendous stress as it is......Once again Thank you so much for your help CM8518

Feb 12, 2020
@Justice League
I am familiar with eBay and PayPal limitations. Since you and your son use the same ship to address, they make the leap to assume your and your son‘s accounts are more than causally linked. It happens to people who use a restricted person’s internet connection to log onto their account. With your background, I’m sure you know how IP addresses work and how easy they are to trace.

Your credit card should not be affected in the least. If you really are concerned about it all you,have to do is go into your account settings and delete that credit card from your account.
Thanks Mary Lou

Feb 12, 2020
To the OP (Original Poster, AKA @Justice League):

The term 'limitation' is referenced on some PP websites such as these:

Are you or your son currently or recently using PP for selling products, perhaps on eBay? I'm asking because you mentioned your rating on eBay a couple times, which could be both as Buyer and Seller, and most of the knowledge I of have of PP limitations comes from hearing about selling experiences.

Here are some other potentially useful links:

Keep in mind that PP has no legal obligation to do business with you, and they have the right to limit your account based on activity they see outside of PP. Harsh, yes. Sad, yes. But true, yes. So, when appealing for the limitation to be unlocked, you need to be patient, stick to the facts, and be politely persistent.

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for your response. I have used E-bay for over 20 years. I have bought and sold with zero problems and maintain a 100% feedback rating, over 200 transactions. I have not used PP as long and have only had one claim. Thank you for the links, Fantastic info.

Feb 3, 2020
You are most welcome JL. That IS curious. When you said that you and your son shared an address, I assumed you meant an email address or the paypal username. More and more I guess we are at the mercy of these online behemoths.

Reactions: Justice League
Jul 7, 2018
Justice League. Just now reading this thread. I am wondering how paypal would know you are purchasing on ebay with your credit card unless you signed in to paypal for the transaction. I have not ordered much from ebay but I have used both paypal and my credit card. If you don't sign in to paypal and just enter your credit card information, how can paypal block that transaction? I see that although ebay owns paypal they are 2 separate entities. But it would seem they are sharing information if you cannot use a credit card that is registered with paypal but you are not actually signed in to paypal.

Feb 11, 2020
If the seller is not enrolled in eBay’s Managed Payments program, Paypal processes the payment regardless if you have a Paypal account, and even if you don’t select the PayPal option at checkout.. It’s all behind the scenes and you won’t see any reference to PayPal on your statement.

Feb 12, 2020
Justice League. Just now reading this thread. I am wondering how paypal would know you are purchasing on ebay with your credit card unless you signed in to paypal for the transaction. I have not ordered much from ebay but I have used both paypal and my credit card. If you don't sign in to paypal and just enter your credit card information, how can paypal block that transaction? I see that although ebay owns paypal they are 2 separate entities. But it would seem they are sharing information if you cannot use a credit card that is registered with paypal but you are not actually signed in to paypal.
Hello Carol. Thank you for your question. When you buy from E-Bay it gives you options with Credit Card being one of the options. When you hit CC the system knows that card is tied to PP and declines it. I have other Credit Cards but fear that PP may somehow limit them also, please remember they limited my original card because of someone or something that had nothing to do with me. What I mean by that is I never broke any PP rules ever...This is what I hope people understand from my post is that Credit Ratings will always have some relevance but as time goes by it will become less and less. Mega company's like PP and there computers will ban folks with no explanation. I still do not know and will probably never know what happened with my account. So fast forward 10 years when almost all financial transactions are done online and a PP bans you for life, remember that computers are talking and will eventually share information like what has happened to me. How do you live in that world..........PP has never given me a clear reason for my limitation, so how does one resolve the issue??????? We need our governments to approve legislation to protect consumers against monopolies. Competition would also help.