Passport Question

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 20, 2018
I would either change the Social Security card to match the birth/marriage certificate or the other way around. Even beyond the passport and Real ID issue, I would think the difference would cause problems at some point down the road. I'm a little surprised it hasn't already caused problems with regards to taxes and recording earnings for Social Security with the discrepancy of names.
I'm surprised too, but she's in her 40s and hasn't had any issues with the SSA or IRS so far with the name discrepancy.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
I'm surprised too, but she's in her 40s and hasn't had any issues with the SSA or IRS so far with the name discrepancy.
IRS for sure. But I'm pretty sure most people don't log in to check with the SSA that everything is being accurately recorded. It might be given apparently no issues and IRS, but weirder things have happened with the government.

Reactions: Blossom
Feb 3, 2019
There are many IDs accepted for passport applications. She should review the list and see if she can provide one in addition to her BC.
She still has to provide her Social Security Number on the application. The discrepancy between her SSA record and her ID/proof of citizenship documents will cause problems.

Dec 20, 2018
Our DMV wouldn’t let me use a laminated social security care for my REAL ID. I had to order a new card. They didn’t let anything by them.
They are strict! I was unable to get one myself last year, because I had a certified printout of my Social Security number from a local SSA office, vs the actual card. The office I had gone to when I lost my card would not reissue cards, only provide the stamped printout.

Dec 20, 2018
Good point. We got our Social Security numbers for the first time in the mid 80s, along with our brother, so our numbers are all sequential. I was about 12 or 13.

I remember my dad taking us to the SSA office to apply, because he needed us to have Social Security numbers to file his tax returns. Our three older siblings were adults at that point, and he was apparently able to claim multiple kids on his taxes for decades, with no Social Security numbers for them. Hard to imagine now, in a time when Social Security numbers are issued at birth.

I'm going to look into the process for my sister to get her name corrected on her Social Security card to match her birth cert.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Why not change the SS card spelling since that is the one document that does not match the others.

Why didn't ss catch it? Probably because card was applied for before the mass computerization of records -- now it is catching up.

The IRS computer system is not the most advanced.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It may then be simplest to get a passport in the name on her BC and marriage certificate. No one (as in immigration, customs etc) will really care whether she prefers one name or the other when using the passport.
EXACTLY! Easy, peasy. How clever you are to start on this issue now, while there's plenty of time to jump through all the hoops. I'm getting ready for my Fed ID and the list of docs I can use is extensive. She should review that list now and see what could easily be changed her "new" name ... like a phone or electric bill. I do think it's hilarious that they require your original social security card ... the federal government is a never-ending source of amusement for me. And God forbid it's laminated ... horrors!

And some unsolicited advice: take a cruise ... much easier to organize, much more fun to research, much better chance of everyone having a wonderful time. Find a real live travel agent who is a cruise expert, doesn't have to be local; emails and phones work well. Then planning the family trip will be fun instead of you herding cats for months.

Last edited:
Reactions: ADM and Blossom
Dec 20, 2018
EXACTLY! Easy, peasy. How clever you are to start on this issue now, while there's plenty of time to jump through all the hoops. I'm getting ready for my Fed ID and the list of docs I can use is extensive. She should review that list now and see what could easily be changed her "new" name ... like a phone or electric bill. I do think it's hilarious that they require your original social security card ... the federal government is a never-ending source of amusement for me. And God forbid it's laminated ... horrors!

And some unsolicited advice: take a cruise ... much easier to organize, much more fun to research, much better chance of everyone having a wonderful time. Find a real live travel agent who is a cruise expert, doesn't have to be local; emails and phones work well. Then planning the family trip will be fun instead of you herding cats for months.
Thanks jsn! Strangely I was able to get a passport for myself with the stamped printout of my Social Security number, but was denied for the Real ID with the same document. Go figure!

We're still in the very early stages of planning the extended family trip, so we haven't decided on a cruise or a resort yet. My brother who came up with the idea had originally suggested a domestic beach house rental for a week. But with around 30 people possibly going, that would present a lot of challenges.

I suggested a cruise or all inclusive resort instead, so no one would have to be bothered with cooking, meal planning, grocery shopping and cleaning while on vacation. Plus no worries about finding a house or houses with enough space to fit such a large group.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thanks jsn! Strangely I was able to get a passport for myself with the stamped printout of my Social Security number, but was denied for the Real ID with the same document. Go figure!

We're still in the very early stages of planning the extended family trip, so we haven't decided on a cruise or a resort yet. My brother who came up with the idea had originally suggested a domestic beach house rental for a week. But with around 30 people possibly going, that would present a lot of challenges.

I suggested a cruise or all inclusive resort instead, so no one would have to be bothered with cooking, meal planning, grocery shopping and cleaning while on vacation. Plus no worries about finding a house or houses with enough space to fit such a large group.
"no worries about finding a house with enough space ..." So true, finding the house is easy. However, you can read our Vacation Rentals forum for some insight into the kinds of problems people have. I freely admit I am biased, just from reading the incredible experiences posted here over the years.

Reactions: Blossom

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019

I'd be way more worried about how meals and cleaning would be taken care of in a vacation rental then finding space. No thanks, give me a place where I don't have to worry about it!

FYI with 30 people you can book as a group and some cruise lines have some good deals for groups. What the deals are vary by line, but in the groups I've been with it usually is a few hundred of free stuff.

Oct 11, 2018
While you should try to get the birth certificate issue fixed, there's a simple solution if you can't. Go to Puerto Rico, which is part of the US for immigration purposes. It's just a regular domestic flight. While the US Virgin Islands are also US territories, traveling there isn't so simple. Although you don't need a passport, you still need proof of citizenship (with the birth certificate) as well as the government-issued photo ID, and the spelling discrepancy could cause you problems. Not so on a flight to San Juan.

Reactions: Blossom and Patina

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
While you should try to get the birth certificate issue fixed, there's a simple solution if you can't. Go to Puerto Rico, which is part of the US for immigration purposes. It's just a regular domestic flight. While the US Virgin Islands are also US territories, traveling there isn't so simple. Although you don't need a passport, you still need proof of citizenship (with the birth certificate) as well as the government-issued photo ID, and the spelling discrepancy could cause you problems. Not so on a flight to San Juan.
Come October she will need REAL ID to fly to PR so might as well get it now. It will be needed for all domestic flights.

Jul 7, 2017
I was born in and have lived in Michigan all my life except for college. My first name is MaryEllen, written that way since kindergarten. Go to get driver's license (1966) and discover BC read Mary (first name) Ellen (middle name). No big deal. Got first passport in 1966. Fast forward to 2005. Medical procedure with sedation and the medical personnel will only call me Mary which I have NEVER answered to. In Michigan BC can be corrected as long as there are other documents/records that support change. Baptismal certificate, grade school records were all it took. BC changed, then SSA, new passport. Minimal cost. Now all this makes me want to check the marriage license but have done the passport twice since the change with no problems, last time in 2017 or 2018. MaryEllen

Reactions: Blossom and VoR61
Dec 20, 2018
I'd be way more worried about how meals and cleaning would be taken care of in a vacation rental then finding space. No thanks, give me a place where I don't have to worry about it!

FYI with 30 people you can book as a group and some cruise lines have some good deals for groups. What the deals are vary by line, but in the groups I've been with it usually is a few hundred of free stuff.
Yes, definitely the meals and cleaning too. Eating out 3 meals a day is expensive but organizing cooking and cleaning between 30 people isn't an easy task.

Dec 20, 2018
That's a very good idea!

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
If you are planning on going after October 1 - you will need REAL ID to fly to PR and the rest of the US so unless your drivers license is REAL ID complaint - you will still need to get this corrected.
From The Google

Compliance status of states and territories.
Currently, 47 out of 50 states are REAL ID compliant: Oregon has an extension until August 7th, 2020; Oklahoma has an extension until September 18th, 2020 and New Jersey is under review. Nov 13, 2019

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
From The Google

Compliance status of states and territories.
Currently, 47 out of 50 states are REAL ID compliant: Oregon has an extension until August 7th, 2020; Oklahoma has an extension until September 18th, 2020 and New Jersey is under review. Nov 13, 2019
It’s happening for all states Oct. 1- that is when REAL ID officially begins for domestic flights. Those states had until those dates to finally issue REAL ID. This had extensions for more then 10 years - if they didn’t put a final date on it States would continue to put if off.

If your State is not compliant you need a passport or passport card, or Global Entry card. There is finally something a passport card can be used for besides driving to Canada or Mexico.

Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

• Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • State-issued Enhanced Driver’s License
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

Reactions: VoR61